Topic: Masters of Horror!!

I was just reading my recent issue of Rue Morgue the other day and than I came to the forums to tell you guys about it and we don't even have a thread!! Are we insane!? Heh.. Anyway..

I just read an article, as I was saying, about John Carpenters Pro-Life and it sounds kick ass. I can't wait to see his episode. From what I gathered the episode is about this girl who gets dragged into hell by Satan where he impregnates her. Then she returns and she is going to get an aborition but her father won't let her because he is pro-life.. Sounds pretty good.. Wait til you see what Satan looks like.

So what is everyones favorite episode? Director on the series? Who do you like for next season? Any episode you would like done a different way? Lets get some Masters of Horror chatting going on in here..

Re: Masters of Horror!!

My favorite was Ciggarette Burns. Unfortunatly, my Tivo recorded the wrong time or something and only caught half it. It cut off when he woke up in the warehouse to everyone dead, but until then it was awesome.

This is kinda funny, I was just about to make a thread about Masters of Horror.  I guess you beat me to the punch.  I have only seen a few of the episodes and only on DVD.  I've seen cig burns and homecoming.  Cig burns is a really great episode and towers over Joe Dante's homecoming by a long shot.  But I have all of them coming in Netflix, and should arive tommorow so I'll see about the rest.  Excited to see Incident on and off mountain road, Don Coscarelli is one of the bests...

What did everyone think of Chocolate?  I've heard some terrible things about it...

Yea I haven't seen Chocolate yet either because I heard the same thing.. Awful. Incident is good but don't expect to much from it. Cig Burns is the best I have seen so far.. I still have to see Homecoming which I have heard is a great episode. Can't wait to see Imprint either. sounds awesome from what I have heard..

Is it true that Imprint was like to brutal for television?  Thats what I heard somewhere, but it sounds like a bunch of bunk.  Homecoming was a good episode, I just thought it was kind of bizarre.  The whole undead veterans... I'm excited bout' Tobe Hooper's dance of the dead personally and John Carpenter's pro life, from what you said Goon, that is a really good idea for a story and it sounds like it could be a great episode.

Chocolate was an alright episode, but it was kind of boring. It didn't really have a twist or anything that pulled you in. About half way through it, you can pretty much figure out what is going to happen, but overall it isn't terrible. I haven't read any reviews, but I wouldn't give it a bad one.

I liked Homecoming, but when it comes to zombies I am easily amused. Dance of the Dead was pretty good as well, but wasn't as ballsy.

Imprint is a weird being. I have not seen it yet, but from what I have read it is kind of disturbing in the subject matter that it deals with, such as baby death. Television executives are a little uneasy when it comes to certain subjects like that. So as far as brutal, I do not believe it is any more brutal than a lot of the movies playing right now. However, like I stated earlier, this is just from what I have read.

From all the bad reviews to the bad things that people have said about the Chocolate episode on Masters of Horror, the story for Chocolate keeps drawing me closer and closer until I finally end up watching it.  I think the idea for it is pretty creative and in that I cant see how it is bad unless of course its played out bad, in which a lot of people are saying...

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-19 19:00:22)

Chocolate is interesting.  It really isn't horror and it isn't really all that scary yet it is not as bad as people say.  As a stand alone movie, it would probably work....but as part of Masters of Horror...half and half.

I liked Incident...thought it was definatly a cut (pun intended) about the modern slasher films.  My favorite so far of the first season...hard to say since I haven't seen Dance of the Dead, Fair Haired Child, Imprint, or Haekel's Tale.  But....I like Homecoming and probably Cigarette Burns the best. 

My friend in Australia saw Imprint and told me it is the most fucked up movie he has ever seen.  And in this month's issue of Rue Morgue is all about it.  From what I remember Miike didn't think he was going too far and didn't think it would get banned.

Out of season 2....I am definatly looking forward to Pro-Life.  Should be cool to see the demon in full.  I am also looking forward to Family, John Landis doing a straight up horror movie?  I am also looking forward to The Damned Thing by Tobe Hooper and The V Word by Ernst Dickerson.  I am always ready for a good vampire movie.

In this month's Fangoria issue they discuss Family and the lineup.  Garris mentioned that Clive Barker told him he would be interested in actually helming an episode should a third season come to life.  I would definatly look forward to that.  I would also like Peter Jackson to do one...screw the Oscars and go back to his roots for at least one sixty minute movie.

According to Rue Morgue I think Imprint was pulled mainly because of the overall tone. When there is something like that you can't just edit it out, your pretty much screwed. There is supposed to be explicit scenes of torture and of course the whole baby fetus thing. I have to tell you from the pictures I have seen of the episode, the baby stuff is really nasty..

And Golden you did notice that they have a picture of Satan in that issue.. I mean he is covered in fog but you get a real good look at him and he looks wicked..

Hearing about how Imprint is to disturbing or however you want to put it for an episode just makes me want to see it more and more.  Anybody else?  I mean, movies that cross the lines or break boundaries in the disturbing or "horrific" sense is what makes a lot of the films better.  Whatever it takes, and Miike really likes to show that.  I'm really hyped to see this bad boy.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-19 19:08:32)

Yeah I noticed.  From what I saw it sorta reminded me of the Balrog from LOTR.  I just can't wait to see it fully lit.  It looks like it could be a suit with CGI enhancements.

Is it suppose to be Satan?  All I have heard it is a demon child.

Definatly TiM...most definatly.

So, what does everyone think of the three new Masters?

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6347.html

Dread Central also gives the episodes each one of them will helm.

http://dreadcentral.com/index.php?name= … mp;sid=291

I'm not impressed to be honest.. Except for Norio. I'm really excited to see him but the other guys just seem like filler.. Not really "Masters"..

I know a lot of people dont want this, but I'm still curious as to why they havent asked Wes Craven yet.  I know his newers stuff is terrible, but a lot of people claim his as the king of horror.

I have to agree I'm not impressed.  I really dont think Rob Schmitt deserves a spot on the series.  Wrong Turn was definentally not enough to earn him that position.  It really wasnt that great of a film.

In an interview a few months ago I think Craven said he was interested but was busy with other stuff so he was unable to do it. 

I am undecided on this bunch.  Though I must agree that Schmitt shouldn't get a MASTERS title with only feature to his credit and a medicore film at that.  Medak, I heard THE CHANGLING was very very creepy...I haven't seen it but he might have had a stumble with Speices 2.  Norio..never seen or heard much about his stuff.

I think it would have been interesting if they got another European...maybe Umberto Lenzi to an episode.  After THE DESCENT...I definatly have to say Neil Marshall should get to do one in a later season...depending how this one does.

Though, the episodes seem interesting.  The Washingtonians is the one I am most looking forward to from the 'New Masters' batch right behind The V Word.

The Changeling is OK.. But thats just my opinion I know alot of people who think its fantastic and everything.. Its kind of funny to go back and watch it now after The Ring came out.. You can see some scenes that were almost directly lifted for the American remake. Its worth a look..

I burned all the episodes, except Imprint, from Scream channel. Thats the only one I'm going to buy.
My favorites are:
Jenifer - don't know if I feel sorry for her or what, but she has a wicked spell for sure
Haeckel's Tale - A little necrophilia will go a long way
Dance of the Dead - Re-animated corpses are the entertainment of the near future

I finally got to see Incident on and off a mountain road.  I liked it a lot.  I place it a step above cig burns.  The moonface character was badasss.  And being that Don Coscarelli is one of my favorite directors, he didnt let me down.  Although I have to admit I wasnt expecting a rape scene.  I still dont know how it aired to TV though.

It wasn't bad, but I didn't like the ending. WTF was that all about

*Spoiler Alert*

Her husband tried to rape her, she killed him and basically she seemed to be driving for a place to stow the body.  But, after the Moonface incident it is possible for her to make it look like they were going out for a drive, they crashed and he was killed by Moonface and made into one of his trophies.  Perfect cover, killing Buddy would seal the deal and besides...the guy was completely bananas.

Hi, I just joined your fantastic forum today. And I have to agree that Cigarette Burns is really good. Along with Incident on and off a mountain road, which I really enjoyed too. I've seen Sick Girl, Dreams in the witch house, Chocolate and Deer Woman. I just rented Homecomming and Pick Me Up. (I haven't watched them yet.)
I don't know if anyone else has seen this or not, but the episodes of Masters of Horror, that I've rented from Blockbuster all come two on a disc. Which is strange, since the ones that are being sold are all their own seperate discs.

Yea I think all the rental stores get a special deal by getting two episodes per disc.. No special features though which kind of sucks.. I guess my problem with Incident was that she would stop running and set up a trap and for some reason it was like Moonface just stopped chasing her for awhile.. It just kind of took me out of the episode.. I still enjoyed the character of Moonface though. I would love to see more of him..

Well her husband was a survival nut, so that is my guess as to why she set up all those traps.  Moonface is indeed a badass character, and looks kickass in that vest.  I didnt mind the ending at all, in fact overall id place it a little bit higher than cig burns, but thats cause' I really admire Don Coscarelli.

What I first thought was, that she went insane and it seemed like she was going to start continuing on doing what Moonface was doing. I couldn't see her going insane cause of what happened to her. Thats the wtf part.

Yea I understood how she knew how to make them.. What bothered me was that she had enough time to stop and make these elaborate traps when Moonface is supposed to be right on her trail..

I just finished watching Homecoming and Pick Me Up.. I liked Pick Me Up more than Homecoming.. I really felt like Homecoming was too hokey, especially the ending. With the flags waving in the background. Too corny for my tastes..

Pick Me Up wasnt too bad. I wasn't a fan of the dialogue but I liked the story. It's always a treat to see Crystal Lowe nude too..