Re: Your top 5 horror or true crime novels

While not quite horror, the book Primal Fear and it's sequel Show of Evil by William Diehl are both very good psychological thrillers.  Its a shame that the last book in the trilogy, Reign in Hell, sucked. 

Primal Fear is much better than the movie(which I love).  It gives such a bigger picture of what a monster Aaron Stampler is.  And the sequel is very good and follows up the first book real well.

Last edited by jmh314 (2008-12-22 16:46:19)

jmh314 wrote:

While not quite horror, the book Primal Fear and it's sequel Show of Evil by William Diehl are both very good psychological thrillers.  Its a shame that the last book in the trilogy, Reign in Hell, sucked. 

Primal Fear is much better than the movie(which I love).  It gives such a bigger picture of what a monster Aaron Stampler is.  And the sequel is very good and follows up the first book real well.

^Is then character Aaron Stampler in the novel sequel?

Hmm... not sure i can come up with a definitive Top 5 True Crime but here's some i love [ Title/Author ]

1.) The Shrine Of Jeffrey Dahmer - Brian Masters
2.) Sexual Homicide : Patterns & Motives - Robert Ressler, Ann Burgess & John Douglas
3.) Better To Reign In Hell : Serial Killers, Media Panics & The FBI - Stephen Milligen

^ So do you read books about Jack the Ripper or the Masons much? wink  big_smile

jackalqueen wrote:

^ So do you read books about Jack the Ripper or the Masons much? wink  big_smile

Quilty as charged Ms. Queen. I'm a huge fan of Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell's From Hell. Probably the greatest ripper fiction ever, in my humble opinion...

Sir William Withey Gull wrote:
jackalqueen wrote:

Quilty as charged Ms. Queen. I'm a huge fan of Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell's From Hell. Probably the greatest ripper fiction ever, in my humble opinion...

I like Stephen Knight's book 'The Final Solution' as well, which is similar but factual, rather fictional - it also has photos of the real victims corpses but that's by the by. lol  That's the first place I heard Dr Gull mentioned as being the Ripper and he's still my personal favourite as suspect... no offense! lol

Yes i've read The Final Solution too & i agree it's a great read!! From Hell takes Knight's theory as it's starting point & just runs with it. Have you read it?? If not, you should cos you'd LOVE it. Although i can't REALLY see Gull as the murderer ( he was in his 70's at the time & recovering from a stroke ) it does make for a great story....

...and yes i've seen the ripper crime scene photo's and they are very brutal!!! The Mary Kelly / Miller's Court one's especially so. This is off topic i know but... did you ever see the Jeffrey Dahmer trophy portrait photo's?? now THEY are truly horrific..........

Yes i've read The Final Solution too & i agree it's a great read!! From Hell takes Knight's theory as it's starting point & just runs with it. Have you read it?? If not, you should cos you'd LOVE it. Although i can't REALLY see Gull as the murderer ( he was in his 70's at the time & recovering from a stroke ) it does make for a great story....

I've seen the film version but I haven't read the book.  I can completely see Gull as the killer, all he needed was a younger, stronger accomplice, which he had in the coach driver.  It makes as much sense as anything and I have no problem believing the royal family would do something like this to protect their image, with or without the help of the Masons.  I'm not a big fan.. lol

...and yes i've seen the ripper crime scene photo's and they are very brutal!!! The Mary Kelly / Miller's Court one's especially so. This is off topic i know but... did you ever see the Jeffrey Dahmer trophy portrait photo's?? now THEY are truly horrific..........

No, I've never seen those.  Some old black and white photos are enough for me.  lol

Last edited by jackalqueen (2009-01-28 09:25:54)

RIP wrote:

I like to read alot of true crime novels too but I'm not a psycho lol.

Here's my top 5 horror or true crime novels:

1. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi
2. Fatal Vision by Joe McGuinniss
3. Death Instinct by Bentley Little
4. Jaws by Peter Benchley
5. The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

Great list,and I agree with you on it.

My top 5:

1-The Night Stalker
2-Weavworld
3-Swan Song
4-Autumn
5-Helter Skelter

no order, those are just my faves!!:)

Well LadyZ you have impeccably excellent taste:D

starkravingmad wrote:

Well LadyZ you have impeccably excellent taste:D

Thank you, my dear!

and...where is your list?

Helter Skelter
The Amityville Horror
Fatal Vision
Body Dump
Deviant

I just read The Dirt

Finished a true crime novel a little while ago called Perfect Victim by Elizabeth Southall and Megan Norris. It's the story of a young girl who was stalked, kidnapped and killed here in Melbourne in 1999. Half the book is written by the victim's mother and the rest is written by a court reporter. It's an extremely moving book; such a tragic story and reading it from the mother's perspective is heart wrenching. Highly recommended if you like true crime.