Topic: writers

I've seen rencently that we seem to have a few writers on the boards. I figured we could talk about what we ilke to write about and why we started to write.

Re: writers

For why I started writing, I really can't answer. I've been writing things for as long as I can remember. At the current juncture of time, however, I'm working on a few short stories as well as working on a sci-fi novel that I intend on trying to get published.

I think I started really really writing in the 5th grade when I came up with a super hero team and had weekly adventures for show and tell. That kinda grew with my maturity and I began to write more and more until I wrote my first full length horror movie (7 pages! woo) in the 7th grade, along with it's sequel.

That's probably when I gave real thought to being a writer. Years later I have written a good bit of short stories, tv series', movies, novels, comic books, and mini series' that I keep in my little vault of goodies. I keep it pretty diverse ranging from Horror to Humor and hopefully one day I'll make a career out of it. I'm still pretty young though so I have plenty of time.

I started writing back in elementary school and middle school and really enjoyed writing short stories.  Those were the assignments in English classes right through high school I loved the most.

I started to write screenplays more seriously after I got into film.  So far I have four short (about ten minutes each) screenplays one feature (126pages) length screenplay completed.  I'm currently working on about a half dozen other screenplays.

I've mostly written within the horror genre.  I have a comedy on my plate, but thus far I've stuck almost completely to horror.

bradlee_scott wrote:

I think I started really really writing in the 5th grade when I came up with a super hero team and had weekly adventures for show and tell. That kinda grew with my maturity and I began to write more and more until I wrote my first full length horror movie (7 pages! woo) in the 7th grade, along with it's sequel.

That's probably when I gave real thought to being a writer. Years later I have written a good bit of short stories, tv series', movies, novels, comic books, and mini series' that I keep in my little vault of goodies. I keep it pretty diverse ranging from Horror to Humor and hopefully one day I'll make a career out of it. I'm still pretty young though so I have plenty of time.

Welcome aboard, Bradlee.  smile  Nice to have you. 

I started writing fiction years ago.  I always wanted to write a novel or a screenplay but I just don't have the discipline / talent for it.  I was beginning to get discouraged because I love putting words to paper but could not find my medium.  Then I discovered non-fiction.  Wow, what a difference.  Occasionally I will still write a story when inspiration hits.  But mostly I do what I do right here as well as for a couple of other places and spend a lot of time researching for the Big One.  smile

I've always liked writing. I remember being one the few students to do a ton of book reports in the 4th grade...so much that the teacher ran out of space to put stars for each one I did lol

wrote several short poems and writings in a high school magazine called "Olla Podrida." I was never a fan of clubs in school or belonging to them, but I was good at writing and the interest was there, so I stayed after and attended a litery club in my sophmore year of high school.

excelled in courses in high school and later college that required extensive research and writing. I remember for an English lit course in college, I had to research early horror stories in early centuries and was looking at piles upon piles of microfiche with writings as old as the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries...very cool stuff...time in the library I actually enjoyed:lol:

I actually have a bachelor's degree in English and two minors in Psychology and Sociology...but only because I couldn't pass a Statistics course in the middle of my junior year,  that ruined any hopes of majoring in psycholgy and having my own practice like I wanted. Tried as I might several times and with tutors, I just could not excel in Stats enough to further myself in my degree. I had originally minored in English, so since I had so many credits in it already, I changed that to my major just so I could graduate college hmm 

I currently work in a medical billing office and people always ask me I do. I tell them that when I took English courses in college, every teacher mentioned that the pay scale sucks and a person would have to write a ton of books to supplement their income enough to have a steady stream of income-way too much work that I am ready to commit to. Secondly, I have no desire to be an English teacher whatsoever...and there are no millionaire creative writers out there unless you're a King of a Koontz or some other literary genius. So basically I use my bachelor's degree to get noticed by my bosses and to take state tests...wasteful I know but no way would I want to be a college dropout...sure as hell there are more than enough of those and I would not want to be another statistic...not that I would understand those statistical numbers anyway roll

Nowadays, I don't have the dedication, patience or the attention to write at this stage in my life other than contributing a review here and there and contributing to discussions on this site...but I'm sure that if I sat down and wrote a few lines, I'd have the imagination to produce something worthwhile...I'm just plain ass lazy...but someday...who knows...I'm 34...so I say never say never...

Last edited by joe91074 (2009-01-28 21:16:07)

ive never been a writer, but certainly have alot of respect for those of you who can.

Me, I've always been good with words.  I've always been a stickler for grammar, most of the time.  In the middle of high school, my best friend killed himself.  I had so much pain but was one of those "macho" guys who couldn't cry.  My English teacher suggested that I start writing about how I feel.  I'm a lefty, so struggled because in my high school, they looked down on us.  But I pushed through and became a great writer.  I've been published in newspapers and local magazines.  Schoolcraft College and the University of Michigan have my stuff on display for their classrooms.  I'm in multiple poetry publications and am in line to get a grant for it. 

I like writing about my inner pain.  I'm a recovering drug addict (too many to list) and have lost a lot of my friends.  I'm also a fan of taking people I don't like, and killing them in a horror story.  EasterBunnyKiller knows of some of my works.  I will be sharing more with you guys as I find it.  I just moved so it's all lost somewhere.

Pfft! You put out all those articles and you have the gall to say you're not a writer? For shame, for shame!

Yeah, Meh, you write reviews.  I consider you a writer, and a good one.  I go to you, and a few others for what movies I'm going to avoid/rent/buy.

well thanks guys. I do think that my views can be enjoyed and appreciated. I do think I have good taste. That said I am far from a writer. Just check my spelling and grammer. tongue I know I dont. lol.

Meh, you're a writer.  Whether good or bad, you still write.  It's a step ahead of most people.  We all understand what you say and trust you for all the information.  Don't be so hard on yourself, man.  You're just not trained to be published in like books.  Doesn't make you any less of a writer.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Meh, you're a writer.  Whether good or bad, you still write.  It's a step ahead of most people.  We all understand what you say and trust you for all the information.  Don't be so hard on yourself, man.  You're just not trained to be published in like books.  Doesn't make you any less of a writer.

haha believe me im not being hard on myself. I am just pointing out i got a ton of respect for writers and the skill involved. I think I am quite good at getting the facts across, perhaps entertaining you a little and making a few laugh or shake your heads. But at the end of the day writers, especially screenwriters are a special breed who deserve major kudos. Would love to have that kind of skill.

Screenwriting is very hard.  I'm going to school for that now because I have great ideas I'd love you guys to give contests about (the movies they produce).  Maybe one day...

Meh, your writing mechanics are better than plenty of the people on this site alone (no pointing fingers). The articles you write are entertaining and that puts mechanics in the back seat anyway. We enjoy your writing and that's all that matters.

I couldn't help but to put my 2 cents in. I decided to write my first screenplay because I wanted something different. The idea was to take the elements I like, then decide what I would like to see in a movie, then decide if anyone else would like it. (very important) Then of course, write it.

Of course the result was QT which took 4 months to complete, and I still made some changes a few weeks ago.

Plus the simple fact that I've always wanted to do it. Now I have.

Writing is not an easy thing to do. A screenplay for example must have something within the first 3-5 pages that will attract the reader, and keep then attracted. They must want to learn more and become interested in the characters/story.

It must also have a "3 act" storyline with the 1st being around the first 20 pages, 2nd being 50-60 pages, and 3rd the remaining, (15-20). Giving a 90 minute average. (roughly 1 minute per page)

There is also character development. How does the character/s evolve during the film? What is their goal? They must have a reason to change; the protagonist to want to defeat the antagonist, and vice-versa.

Then there is proper format. I cannot begin to stress how important that is, especially if you plan to "pitch" your script to a competent producer.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure I've made my point. I know I goof off on this forum from time to time, but this thread really struck my serious side. For all of you writers out there, take your time, create interesting characters, format properly, check your spelling, re-write, re-write, re-write. Then re-write it again. Then triple check everything; and if it still isn't right...

Good luck.

Thanks for the words of wisdom ace, and I think that your advice really stands for all writing on the larger scale. Especially the rewriting part.

You're welcome EasterBunnyKiller. Happy to share my thoughts and glad they are useful.

I've been writing since 1st grade, in a diary at first.  Then I did Nancy Drew-ish light horror stories.  Poetry got me through my depressed teenage years, and I actually did well enough to earn scholarships and paid publications.  I wrote two novels and neither are published.  It's a lot of hard work to try to get an agent, and I suppose my work just wasn't strong enough. 

Now I just chase my 4 year old around and try to write when I can.  You guys here really inspire me and keep me on my toes.

I started writing when I got into high school, for reasons I've left buried it started primarily because it was my only escape away from a lot of bad stuff. Then over the period of school it turned into a hobby and then when my first substitute teacher told me I had a lot of talent I decided to take it a step further.

I've written a barrage of stories that take up the space of 6 BIG folders. Ranging from horror to mystery, it's the best outlet (aside from this wonderful site! big_smile) where I can outlay all of my emotions into a form that I love. I love what I do and I would never give it up.

PS. Look out in the future for a story called "Into", I hope anyway tongue

big_smile

smile

Writing has been a more recent hobby of mine.  I started out with just random ideas I kept in my "idea book" and then one hit me so hard I went with it.  After reading a few screenplays online I figured that was something I could probably do so I started to write a screenplay (60 pages, 2nd draft right now).  Then I started to actually read some books and found that that was something I could probably do so I just had a genius crazy idea a couple weeks ago so I've been brainstorming and now I'm currently organizing my notes and then I'm gonna expand it out into sections and hopefully I have enough material to write a book.  I figure 5 pages normal MS Word equals 1 chapter and 25 of those would be a book....so I think I can do it smile

Who knew...I always hated reading and writing lol.

Meh wrote:

ive never been a writer, but certainly have alot of respect for those of you who can.

I feel the same way about not being a "writer", but I think you have a great knack for getting your point across.  You do a very good job at that so don't stop.