Topic: Critique Guidelines

Horror Literature has become a home for horror fiction that isn't tied to film, and I love that it's a place where we can share our own writings. 

When "critiquing" contributor work, please keep some guidelines in mind...

- Keep the suggestions constructive.  Offer advice the writer can use.
- Authors, please let your readers know just what you are looking for, a critique or even just an audience.
- Readers, respect the author's wishes. 
- Don't be Simon Cowell.  This isn't American Idol.

Think about it, if you get slammed with comments that are harsh and unproductive, you'll never want to open yourself up again.  Maybe this is sugar coating, but what good can come of hurting someone's feelings?  If you hate every little thing about a piece, maybe the best choice is to keep it to yourself and choose not to reply.  By the way, I've taken and taught creative writing courses, and I've seen all this play out in the real world.  Sticking to this kind of framework yields the best results.

Re: Critique Guidelines

the fact that this needed to be posted is really sad

The Sin Eater I agree but I think Constantce did the right thing. smile

I hope I have yet to cause any real trouble on this site. tongue

Thanks CC for this post by the way //xx//

i think the right thing was done also. being a tool and giving constructive critisism are two entirely different things

The Sin Eater wrote:

being a tool and giving constructive critisism are two entirely different things

Thank you for stating something that everyone already knows...

That being said, I hate to rain on your guys' parade, but I really don't think that if a person has a mind to troll on a thread, that a thread with guidelines for how to critique is going to much make a difference in the matter.

By the way can someone explain to me what troll means on here? It's left me flummoxed tongue

A troll is someone who goes through threads and leaves comments with the express purpose of upseting or annoying other people.

Well said, Constantce, my heart.  I would love to second that if I may.  Everyone's skin is not 45 inches thick...nor should it be required to be.  Constructive criticism should be just that.  Making a point to hurt someone by being harsh doesn't make you clever, it makes you a douche. 

As for my stuff, spill your guts.  That's the whole reason I write it. But when someone posts something they've worked on and genuinely asks for opinion...being cruel does not help them in any way. 

Let's try to nurture the artists within each other.  I'm not saying to not give your honest opinion.  I am just respectfully requesting that you be respectful when you voice it.

constantce kudos to you for taking the time to repeat the obvious. I mean that and am not being sarcastic. Alot of people forget what this community is built on from time to time and a reminder is needed. Remember the #1 rule of RESPECT and you will never go astray of the moderators.

That said kudos to 99% of the community who do a stand up job at being respectfull and positive community members. There are lots of sites where trolls are welcome... this is not one of them.

I love this site and have not, as of yet, had a negative experience.

Its that old rule if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. smile

Must have missed something, but I agree with Constance and Gothic.  Be nice.  Unless it's <Macho>.  Then feel free.  big_smile

Cheeky monkey.

I agree.  Of course not everyone has the same opinion on things, but one should attempt to be somewhat constructive, or at the very least, non-dbag-ish.