Topic: I need suggestions

...for what book to read next.  I'm looking for horror ofcourse. I just finished The Road,  and was thinking of reading The Shining next. 

Any suggestions? Nothing to long though.

Re: I need suggestions

Have you read any Matheson?  If not that is ALWAYS a good choice.  Orrrrr you could wait for the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book to be released in April.  big_smile  I'm all about that right now.  LOL

BTW "hi."
*waves*

Shining is sweet, if you like King, I suggest Dreamcatcher and Four Seasons.

I'd suggest any of the earlier James Herbert novels such as "The Rats", "The Fog", "Lair" etc. but nothing after "The Magic Cottage" because Herbie has started to go downhill as much as Stephen King.

Everything after Magic Cottage totally sucked dead monkey butt.
I'd say stick with the Rats series and you won't go far wrong.
Possibly take a look at Sean Hutson's Slugs for some easy reading big_smile

You just finished The Road?  I am having such a hard time with it, and that so rarely happens.  The mommy part of me is disturbed.    How about Clive Barker's Mister B Gone??  I can send it to you as a loaner if you like - shoot me a PM

I'm a big Laymon nut ChainSaW80 and two books I recommend are: All Hallows Eve and No Sanctuary both superb and just to put this author out there cus he doesn't get enough respect, definitely Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas. < That story never fails to make a mark on me smile

Brian Keene ~ The Rising

trust me wink

I'd recommend Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, if you don't mind being put off buying things on auction sites for a while.  big_smile

moviemaven wrote:

Have you read any Matheson?  If not that is ALWAYS a good choice.  Orrrrr you could wait for the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book to be released in April.  big_smile  I'm all about that right now.  LOL

Matheson is the man, check out his book that has "i am legend /  the legend of hell house"  tons of great stuff in there.

the rising and city of the dead was excellent.

and pride and prejudice & zombies sounds cool...

Last edited by survivalist (2009-02-09 17:47:47)

Constantce wrote:

You just finished The Road?  I am having such a hard time with it, and that so rarely happens.  The mommy part of me is disturbed.    How about Clive Barker's Mister B Gone??  I can send it to you as a loaner if you like - shoot me a PM

Yeah, i did just finish The Road, i breezed right threw it. It definitely kept my attention but honestly i was pretty disappointed by the end sad  I have been interested in reading some Barker, and i think the library here has Mister B. Gone.

Thanks for the suggestions Maven and everyone for all the suggestions so far! smile

The Woods Are Dark by Richard Laymon or Infernal Angel by Edward Lee

Hey Daph.  I just picked up Ghoul.  Should I start with Rising?   That Bank Robbery thing he did left me a little cold.

definitely consider Jack Ketchum... GREAT author. his movies are equally awesome. or at least The Girl Next Door and Lost were.

Well my horror knowledge is thin as I dont read much of it.  Two recent reads that I enjoyed a lot are Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge and The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo.  I read the Dark Harvest and immediately thought how much fun it could be as a movie. 

Constantce, i heard Mister B Gone was really kind of weird.  Thoughts?

Mirthquake wrote:

Hey Daph.  I just picked up Ghoul.  Should I start with Rising?   That Bank Robbery thing he did left me a little cold.

Ghoul is more his coming of age type novel. Like Richard Laymon's Traveling Vampire Show and King's Stand By Me. Its a good book, but not nearly as much horror as his others. You don't need to start with The Rising, but I would read that one next.

I'd go with anything Lovecraft, but he's one of my favorite authors and can be a tough read.  Barker is good, and some of Koontz is sort of scary.  The "Shining" was good, and I liked "Salem's Lot".  It's hard for me to give good recommendations because I tend to like almost anything written that's even remotely good.  Probably has something to do with me having to read endless tech books for college.  roll

jmh314 wrote:

i heard Mister B Gone was really kind of weird.  Thoughts?

I enjoyed the book, read it a couple of times. it is weird and at times funny, but not very dark at all.

F. Paul Wilson THE KEEP

Bloodwave DVD wrote:
Mirthquake wrote:

Ghoul is more his coming of age type novel. Like Richard Laymon's Traveling Vampire Show and King's Stand By Me. Its a good book, but not nearly as much horror as his others. You don't need to start with The Rising, but I would read that one next.

exactly wink

Meh wrote:

definitely consider Jack Ketchum... GREAT author. his movies are equally awesome. or at least The Girl Next Door and Lost were.

Jack Ketchum is like Stephen King when he first started, only more descriptive and leaves you wanting to curle in a ball and cry.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

F. Paul Wilson THE KEEP

Fantastic book. I just finished the sequel Reborn. Not as good as The Keep, but still decent. Had a Rosemary's Baby feel to it. Anything by Wilson is worth a read.

The Shining will kick your ass! I say go for it!

If you really want to try something different try
"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr
It is historical fiction with some non-fictional characters, and oh yeah, it is about a serial killer!

I picked up The Shining & Mr. B. Gone at the library and am reading The Shining right now