Topic: Ghost Hunting Shows

Not sure if this really fits in this category, sorry if misplaced.

I like the ghost hunting shows because some times they catch actual video or audio of something freaky.  Here's my problem- when showing the actual footage, they often say "did you hear that?".  Well, no, because the dang show is playing a low level soundtrack that masks the noise(s).  Seems kind of self-defeating, right?  Also, how many times have the people said "I just saw (insert whatever) over there!", but the camera is almost always focused on the investigators.  Even when they state "We are going to stare at the doorway where an apparition shows up at 12:23 every day", the dang camera guys focus on the investigators, and at 12:23 they say "Wow, did you see that!"  Ah, no, again.

Am I just being silly about this?  Am I silly for watching these shows?  Any other thoughts?  Let me know!

Re: Ghost Hunting Shows

My fiancee and I watch EVERY SINGLE ghost hunting show.  I have had a few close encounters with ghosts and love seeing other people do it.  Ghost Hunters is one of our favorite shows, but any special we can watch is on my DVR.

I watch them too, don't believe in them just watch them.  I think like Mulder, I want to believe!

floridapossum wrote:

I watch them too, don't believe in them just watch them.  I think like Mulder, I want to believe!

That makes me Scully then.  Only...I'm a boy....so I don't think that would work out, but would make for a great show on MTV

I watch TAPS and GHI all time. Even though I don't believe in ghost, I still love the show.

Gardenofstone10 said:
That makes me Scully then.  Only...I'm a boy....so I don't think that would work out, but would make for a great show on MTV

It works out fine, cause I'm a girl.

The reason the camera misses it all the time is because theres nothing there to see. Those sounds are only in that persons head so we sure won't hear it so really your not missing anything since theres nothing there to begin with. Try as they might they still haven't proved it but they keep wasting their time trying to find IT!

DemonToSome wrote:

The reason the camera misses it all the time is because theres nothing there to see. Those sounds are only in that persons head so we sure won't hear it so really your not missing anything since theres nothing there to begin with. Try as they might they still haven't proved it but they keep wasting their time trying to find IT!

The thing is, when the investigators are using the cameras or FLIR, they occasionally catch something.  I'm thinking of the one lighthouse episode of Ghost Hunters where the shadow thing kept looking over the railing.  Also, when the investigators put up stationary cameras they have gotten results (opening doors, moving lamps flying clothes hangers). 

As for the audio, you could be right.  I don't think these shows are frauds, since with the amount of crew involved with them there would have to be a leak after all these years.

Forgot to mention one of my favorites, not because it's the best, but because I went to Penn State- Paranormal State.  I like saying "I was there" at the beginning of every episode; kind of like saying "hey, I sat near there!" when Ryan Howard cranks a homer at the Phillie's ballpark.

I took part in a ghost hunt in a haunted jail at the weekend (not for television!) and it wasn't faked in any way.  If it had been, they would have made sure there was a lot more going on but as it was, I didn't see any ghosts.  The only thing I saw was a light around the edge of a door, when the room we were in was dark and the corridor behind it was dark.  I'm not saying it was a ghost or anything else, but it certainly shouldn't have been there.

As for EVP, that's a whole other matter.  We were asking questions and playing back the tapes and there were definite voices.  Some were too faint to hear, like listening to a conversation in another room but some of them were very clear.  The ghosts who shout and swear are emitting more energy which makes the voices easier to pick up on tape but it also makes it a hell of a lot scarier when a ghost is shouting at you to get the fuck out of his cell! 

At one point while we were recording, there were definite footsteps walking about in the room and the door banged.  Also every time I walked into the jail, my torch died - I thought that was just a horror film cliche but it happened 3 times, despite being new batteries, and started working every time I got back outside. 

A lot of the atmosphere does lend itself to a bit of hysteria because I'm sure sitting with the lights on would have made no difference to the voices but it's also part of the fun and the scariness - and it makes it less embarrassing when no one else can see that you look like you are about to wet yourself with fright. LOL  The thing is, if you are a believer, you will accept these things as other-worldly at the very least but if you don't believe, you will have 'logical' explanations for everything.   

Personally, I believed before I went but I'm even more convinced now... we are not alone.  big_smile

The evp thing is funny.  example: "asldfjhalksdjfkaj"  ghost hunter: "Oh my god.  He totally just said 'I hate you, get out"

Yeah.  I used to watch every single ghost hunting show, but then Ghost Adventures irked me so much I gave them all up.  That's the show where the Trent Reznor wannabe in the black shirt tells the ghosts he's gonna kick their asses.

Some of the ghost hunters stuffs are staged for TV cameras ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfocjCX2sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlM-Uy8ODYQ

What about cryptology series like Monster quest &  Destination truth ? Destination truth was very interesting and they took a lot more risk than the likes of ghost hunters since they travelled to really remote areas of the world and deep jungle to try to find something.

There's one more - Lost tapes from animal planet which could easily be the next horror movie ala cloverfield/blair witch.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjIV89CnNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLxhVKpGt1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARCq-Njigk

I had my own encounters although im still a skeptic,But i do like ghost hunters i know though most shows are just copy cats of ghosthunters and are not serious and they do alot harm to the real ghost hunters and people who really are looking for answers or truth about ghosts spirts ect .I always try to debunk something i heard or thought i might have seen but when you are left with no logical answers thats something to learn more about glad theres real people who are honest in there search!sad though most just run with something be for they really check out even the show ghosthunters says that 80%what people claim are ghost ect can be debunked but its the 20%that is worth the seach and learning about ect

There's a show about Psychic kids...

http://www.aetv.com/psychic-kids/

Real spooky stuff.

fmvgamer wrote:

Some of the ghost hunters stuffs are staged for TV cameras ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfocjCX2sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlM-Uy8ODYQ

First off, I'm not saying they did not fake some stuff.  I wasn't there, so I don't know.  That said, the videos' proof is, in my opinion, just as iffy as what the videos are trying to debunk.

First video-
* I don't see how getting people into position for a shot is fraud.  Do you want a show where people are just running around willy nilly for no apparent reason.  Here we complain about continuity all the time.
* I like how the author knows that they are playing with the sound recorder just to find a pre-recorded clip,  Don't you think if that was true, they would turn off the cameras and find the right spot.  Has anyone played with a recorder or iPod and hit the wrong button and everything went FUBAR?
* So the sound man is making the noises, yet when he walks in they look rather irritated? I would think that if the sound man was supposed to be making noises he would know where they are shooting and not walk in on them.  Or maybe he's dumb.
* The next section about the hosts and the guest hearing the same thing confuses me.  Are all of them hearing the weird noises, or are they hearing directions through the earpieces.  Aren't all the mics and earpieces connected so they can talk to each other, and hence the guest would hear things through the mic?  I really don't know what the video's author was trying to get across here.
* The next section about covering up something and the one host lying?  About what?  Again, confused.
* The one guy pats the other's back and his (heavy) hood falls down a bit.  Wow, devious.  This also plays into the 2nd video where supposedly the hood guy gets his hood tugged, but the rest of the jacket doesn't move (evidence that it was staged).  Ok, but the back patting didn't move the jacket, just the hood.  So the hood can be moved by a back pat without bothering the jacket, but a hood jerk requires the whole jacket to move?  Can't see having it both ways.

2nd video-
Wow, he gave up his camera.  Like this doesn't happen about 15 times per show?  I'm really trying to figure out how his hand in his pocket is going to jerk his hood backwards without any visible string.  (Heck, maybe his hand was cold or he had some jock itch?)  It definately had some backwards motion, so did he run it under his crotch and behind his back?  If it came up under the jacket the motion could only be downwards.  So to get any backwards pull, there would have to be some outside the jacket line exposed.  Any opaque line would be caught, and I think that night vision would catch at least glints off fishing line (I could be wrong, I don't have night vision).

Again, maybe they cheated.  But these videos are not exactly whammies of proof (no whammy, no whammy, stop!  5 points for that reference.  smile  )  All in all, I'm not too impressed by this video debunking.