Topic: The Happiness of the Katakuris

Has anyone else seen Takashi Miike's "The Happiness of the Katakuris"?  I know this isnt a pure horror film, but it is part horror, thriller, comedy, and musical and not to mention a little bit of funky claymation work.  I have been trying to review this film for a while and just cant put into words how wacky this film is.  It is definately a great pickup if you are looking for something new and refreshing and dont mind some karaoke-type japanese singing numbers.  Definately a must see for any fan of Asian films or someone looking to experience more of the insane genious that is Takashi Miike.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-10 18:35:03)

Re: The Happiness of the Katakuris

sounds like you should review it my good man smile

Meh wrote:

sounds like you should review it my good man smile

Believe me Meh, I've tried. 

I am just curious to see if anyone else has seen this film too.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-10 18:36:07)

I actually never heard of this movie until you mentioned it. Definitely review it and i'll be sure to pick a copy up with me loving all those different type of asian films.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

I actually never heard of this movie until you mentioned it. Definitely review it and i'll be sure to pick a copy up with me loving all those different type of asian films.

I will have to try and do what I can to review it.  Like I said though, it isnt really pure horror, it's almost more comedy and musical than horror. 

It is tricky to find this on Region 1 DVD.  I had to pay 35 bucks for mine.  I found a region 0 on Ebay for cheap, but was PAL format region 0, so it didnt work.  I have never run across that problem before and was disappointed.

jmh314 wrote:
BlackDeathDamien wrote:

I will have to try and do what I can to review it.  Like I said though, it isnt really pure horror, it's almost more comedy and musical than horror. 

It is tricky to find this on Region 1 DVD.  I had to pay 35 bucks for mine.  I found a region 0 on Ebay for cheap, but was PAL format region 0, so it didnt work.  I have never run across that problem before and was disappointed.

Oh i completely understand what you are saying that it isn't really horror but i do like different types of genre in movies. So with me watching it, i won't have a problem at all. The only thing is that once i do find it and watch it, then i'll know if i do like it at all. But i'll see what i can do about finding a copy of it. But i'm not even to sure if my DVD player is ever region free and i have no clue how i would find out if it is.

I hate to say it again and sound like a freakin' commercial but that movie is readily available on Netflix. Another one I have on my queue but have not seen.

Way to sound like a repetitive commercial H2K.  lol  just kidding.  Thanks for the info.  If I hadnt cancelled my Netflix account a long time ago because of all the problems I had with them I would probably have had this on my que instead of dropping the dough to buy it.

I've heard of it, but have never seen it.

After many failed attempts, I was finally able to create a full review for this film, go check it out over on my morguespace.  It is hard to put into words the experience of watching this movie, but it's the best I could do.  Never have I ever had such a hard time describing a moviegoing experience.  I hope the review makes sense and makes other people try and discover a film that shows the true insanity of Takashi Miike

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-07-29 22:09:00)

*Blows thick layer of dust off thread*

I have seen this movie and I can honestly say I loved every second of it. And I can't normally stand any type of musical. This movie is full of laughs, the characters are well written and portrayed and the story is over the top. Add a little claymation and you have yourself one crazy movie.

The movie is actually a loose musical remake of the korean movie "the quiet family" which is a dark comedy (without the wacky musical bits of Happiness).

This film is insane!
Brilliant but it really rips your head apart.
I love Takashi Miike as he is pretty happy to try anything, this and Visitor Q being perfect examples.

I wouldn't fancy writing a review of it either, quite an undertaking.