Topic: Where Have All The Scream Queens Gone?

one thing i find lacking in most new horror movies are the scream queens. when i was younger that was one of my favorite things about horror movies was watching the stupid sorority chick run, tripping up the stairs and hide in a closet when she should have run out the front door. me and my friends had a great time betting on which girls would die and which one (occasionally ones) would live. but alas these ladies seem to be no more. there are no women taking the places of great scream queens like linnea quigley (my personal favorite), michelle bauer, and brinke stevens. so i ask the question why are there no more scream queens like the ones in the 80s?

Re: Where Have All The Scream Queens Gone?

Our own fresh meat vixens are our future generation scream queens.

Vulgar wrote:

one thing i find lacking in most new horror movies are the scream queens. when i was younger that was one of my favorite things about horror movies was watching the stupid sorority chick run, tripping up the stairs and hide in a closet when she should have run out the front door. me and my friends had a great time betting on which girls would die and which one (occasionally ones) would live. but alas these ladies seem to be no more. there are no women taking the places of great scream queens like linnea quigley (my personal favorite), michelle bauer, and brinke stevens. so i ask the question why are there no more scream queens like the ones in the 80s?

Because women fought against the brutality they were receiving in films, that's why.

The whole movement against "woman as victim" changed film as we know it, and rightfully so.

I kinda like seeing the dumb jock as the victim now...if only the director would get them to scream like a queen - we'd have the best of both worlds.

Shakingman wrote:

I kinda like seeing the dumb jock as the victim now...if only the director would get them to scream like a queen - we'd have the best of both worlds.

lol that would be just fantastic XD

I'll pass on those movies where men scream like queens, unless its a comedy horror maybe

I think they're gone because it was very common and now everybody wants to be original by not using old ideas. Which I think it's great. If you wanna see scream queens why not watch some 80's movies?

You guys can't honestly believe that the scream queen phase is gone forever, can you?

Yea they are still around.. They mostly stick to the indie circuit now though.. I mean like TiM said look at our Fresh Meat section.. Tiffany Shepis, Christa Cambpell, Brenna Lee Roth, Rachael Robbins, Monique Dupree.. They are all "Scream Queens" you just have probably never heard of the movies they are in...

I would say the modern BIG name scream queens would be Crystal Lowe, Elizu Dushku, Cerina Vincent and Sarah Michelle Gellar. I'm sure there are more  but they certainly haven't completely disappeared they just aren't a big draw like they used to be...

Where have they gone?  Fango Chicago, it seems.  big_smile

If anyone's going, take pics... see if you can get 'em all to pose for us!  big_smile

I'm going to the con in Burbank.  Christa Campbell is supposed to appear.  I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.

I do not think that Scream Queens have gone.  I think that people are looking for a change.  Personally, I am a huge fan of Scream Queens but I like the new way of seeing women in horror.  The one woman that did it for me has to be Sigourney Weaver in the Alien movies.  She was strong and yet emotional, giving a nice twist to the way women were often portrayed in horror movies.  I mean, who does not like to see a psycho woman swinging a weapon at an enemy?

Kruz wrote:

I think they're gone because it was very common and now everybody wants to be original by not using old ideas. Which I think it's great. If you wanna see scream queens why not watch some 80's movies?

I have to disagree, it seems no one is capable of any form of originality as everything is a remake these days....The thing is when they remake 80's films, they use the cast of the OC or the equivalent to draw a younger audience instead of "Scream Queens"

DemonToSome wrote:

I'll pass on those movies where men scream like queens, unless its a comedy horror maybe

Oh come now DeToSo, it woud be funny. smile

I agree it would be funny, as long as it was meant to be funny big_smile

I watched Friday the 13th Part III the other night. It's full of scream queens! lol

we haven't gone anywhere....I didnt even start calling ymself scream queen initially...It was something that Debbie Rochon said to me..and I'm sorry...if after Debbie works with you and refers to you as "scream queen" then dammit, I'm a scream queen! LOL I did 11 films last year...four of them were not horror films, but I've been busting my hump to get out there...I want to be the killer, play the victim and everything inbetween..But people...we are out there..! Believe it

I think that Vulgar was mentioning the scream queens of the late 70's/early 80's era.