Topic: Pans Labyrinth a Winner at the Academy Awards

I knew that it was almost impossible for Pan's Labyrinth not to walk away without at least one statue but to come away as the second biggest winner of the night is pretty big. Guillermo del Toro's adult fairy tale recieved three awards including Best...

Read More : Pans Labyrinth a Winner at the Academy Awards

Re: Pans Labyrinth a Winner at the Academy Awards

I was excited to see "Pans Labyrinth" win anything.  Even though I have still not seen it, I can tell, it's well deserved.  Right on, Del Torro.

I was lucky enough to see all the foreign language films this year and can say that all of them are great films.

I was rooting for Pan's Labarynth for best foreign film but my disappointment was offset by the three wins!

The more upsetting part was the loss of best original screenplay.  Though I liked Little Miss Sunshine, I don't think it was as innovative and magical as Pan.  I could see Little Miss Sunshine as a good sitcom but can't see Pan as anything but the masterpiece film it is.

However, just being nominated for 6 Oscars is great and hopfully will mean distributers and audiences will give subtitled films more of a chance in theatres.

So sad it didn't get best original screenplay.  Miss Sunshine...I have no idea how it got so far on so little...nothing original, nothing overly outstanding about it.

I was very excited to see Pans Labyrinth win awards last night especially for best make-up..to see something that kinda resemble the horror genre win something is pretty kool..and the make up was very well done..thats what I look for in movies the most especially horror movies is the make up..

I have to disagree.  "Little Miss Sunshine" was an awesome movie.  It was so enjoyable and fun.  I'm glad that it won best original screenplay.  The script was fantastic.  Michael Ardnt did a fabulous job.

We should be thankful that "Pans Labyrinth" won for anything.  At least, I am.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I have to disagree.  "Little Miss Sunshine" was an awesome movie.  It was so enjoyable and fun.  I'm glad that it won best original screenplay.  The script was fantastic.  Michael Ardnt did a fabulous job.

We should be thankful that "Pans Labyrinth" won for anything.  At least, I am.

I agree, I really enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine and I think the Academy gave it Best Original Screenplay because it was bound to lose everything else it was nominated for.

On the other hand Pan's Labyrinth won what it deserved, 3 out of 6. Although P.L. was a good movie I found myself drifting in and out of boredom with it, Little Miss Sunshine kept me on the edge of my seat with all its fucked up characters you never knew what was going to happen. Kudos!

Shake

Last edited by Shakingman (2007-02-27 02:22:36)

I was always engaged with Pan's.  But right now I want to see the German film that won.  I knew that Pan's might not win as it is fantasy and the Academy usually keeps fantasy, sci-fi, horror etc to makeup and special effects.  LOTR was the execption as it took almost 10 years from start to finish, 3 films shot at once, and adapted from one of the most beloved literary works of all time.

"Little Miss Sunshine" also happened to win, Best Supporting Actor.  Alan Arkin did an awesome job at playing the grandfather.  So, for it to take home two oscars is great.  I'm proud of it.

I thought the psycho pedophile in "Little Children" deserved that statuette. He was outstandingly ugly and fucked up. Arkin's role was a yawn and he dies half way thru the film. Give it to the old timer? Ped deserved it. See the film. He's absolutely amazing in it.

Last edited by Shakingman (2007-02-28 02:16:25)

Yeah, I haven't seen "Little Children".  At first, I was hazy about Alan Arkin winning, because he plays a relitively small role.  Then, I realized I hadn't seen much of the other films that were nominated, so naturally, I went with the one I have seen.  And thats, "Little Miss Sunshine".

Yeah Little Miss Sunshine was great.
"Every night it's the fucking chicken!"

The funniest scene in that movie.  Alan Arkin is hilarious.

yeah I totally agree.

Yea I'm still pissed about The Departed.. Especially when they called Infernal Affairs a Japanese movie.. Pathetic.. they try and give a little plug and they don't even get that right..

You didn't like "The Departed"?  Scorsese has been making movies his whole life.  It's about time he won an oscar.

I don't hate Little Miss Sunshine - actually I really like it a lot.  I just feel that Pan's Labarynth was a better script.

Alan Arkin was good but I felt that his award was more of recognition for his career instead of that particular film.  I would have liked to have seen Eddie Murphy win this one for Dreamgirls (don't hate me) because we finally got a chance to see him act.

I am glad that Scorcese won director - both for this film and his entire career.  As for best picture, I would have been happy to see any of the films win since they are all strong for different reasons (though I voted for Babel in our pool).

Either way, Oscars are like the "most popular" award in high school.  It is not about what is best but who has the most hype.