Topic: Do you need gore in your horror?

I am a big fan of the classics and if you look at the  Universal films they didn't have any blood, I like a good story more than anything that is what its really all about, just look at one of the most popular horror films "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" it was rated PG, they did not have PG 13 back then and very little blood.

Sure I love a bloody mess but thats not the most important thing in making a horror movie.

Re: Do you need gore in your horror?

Yes and no. What I've always said is that gore doesn't make a movie but depending on the type of horror film you're making it can help.

I would say absolutely not...in some cases. If you have a movie that has a great plot, great acting, great character development and great pacing, you don't need gore to make the film terrifying. On the other hand, when a movie is made for the purpose of being gory, bring on the blood.

Gore??  I think I do.  For me lots of blood is what I like. I always have really great ideas for gore in movies.  I like to see body parts cut off or removed.  Sometimes its kind of funny if you think about it.  If theres not alot I usually get pissed,  don't know why. smile

Last edited by DarkDreamer15 (2007-03-01 17:32:57)

It really depends on the movie.  Movies like Hide and Seek or The Mothman Prophecies have no gore yet they are some great horror/thriller movies.  On the other hand, movies like Friday the Thirteenth might not have the full effect if they didn't gore up the right scenes.

I'll repeat what almost everybody has said. It depends on what you want to do with your movie. I love gore but it shouldn't be forced on any movie.

I don't NEED gore.  But yes, I am somewhat of a gorehound.

Heck Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Not in every movie; some just don't need it.  Your imagination can be worse that anything you see sometimes.  But yeah, some of them just demand it.

No!

Thank you for your replies and I agree 100 percent with those that said it does depend on the film and the plot but if Gore is the main focus as in films like "Gore Gore Girls" or "Suicide Club" both not really watchable movies in my opinion I would disagree.

Did you really hate the fact that the original TCM had no gore?

Look at Silence of the Lambs except for this scene  here there was no gore at all and this is a film that won 5 Oscars.

Has anyone watched classic horror? they never needed any gore, when there ever was a graphic scene back then they would just switch to another scene and let your imagination determine what happened.

One of the goriest clips in cinema is this scene here from Alien and that in my opinnion was a perfect time to both shock the audience and gross them out.
Another example is "The Thing" who can forget the
dog scene or Blood Test scene this is a film that used the gore like it should.

Its still my opinnion you don't need gore to make horror, you need horror to make gore!

I loved the fact that TCM had no gore and yet a lot of people always think it's really gory.

And I think that classic horror had no gore because people back then would scare more easily than nowadays.

No, but a blood-fest is nice every once in awhile!

there is a very good poll on this on the boards in the indie forum. Gore was not the #1 component for a horror movie according to you the readers, and i agree. I say the writng and acting are key.

I think that's what's so great about the original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".  It wasn't a total gorefest.  It was creepy and had this sort of gritty feel to it.  That's what sold it.

I gotta have gore, cheesy acting, great kills, and boobs(lots of naked women) in my films while I drink a case of beer and eat pizza to, lol.