Re: amateur movie making advic plz

I was currently looking into the Canon XL1S minDV Camcorder.  Does anybody know about this camera?  It sounds like the perfect one, but I just wanted to get the fine folks at HM's opinion about it.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2007-03-09 09:59:02)

Not trying to rag on the camera but, the technology in the camera is old and doesn't have a lot of image control. However, on a low budget for a camera this will work. I mean hell they shot 28 days later with that camera, of course modified with 35mm lenses.

I would pass on it though. Today people want stuff shot in 24P and only a handful of cameras can do that. If you're super strapped take it, but I would go for aused DVX100 before i would buy an XL1s

Luckily, I didn't pull the trigger and buy it yet.  I'm still looking around.  If you could recommend any camera (within a reasonable budget) what would it be?

Ok I will list cameras based on budget

$1,000 - $1500 (Sony VX2100 used)
$1500 - $2,000 (Canon GL2 used, Abes of Maine had one of these Refurb'd for $1800)
$2,000 - $3,000 (Panasonic DVX100 (new runs about $2700 and up, used $2,000 - $2500)
$3,000 - $4,000 (Canon XH-A1, this is an HD Mini DV cam, or a used Canon XL2)

Only the Canon Xl2, XH-A1 and DVX100 have true 24p shooting. I highly recommend the DVX100. I know you don't have the scratch for it, but trust me, get the money together, buy that camera, set it to 24FPS mode and goto town making your movie. A majority of Deadlands was shot on the DVX100.

I cannot thank you enough for that list.  I wrote it down, and will check out every camera mentioned.  Thanks a bunch.  And by the way, I'm really looking forward to "Deadlands: The Rising".  And no, I'm not just saying that because you helped me out.  tongue

This post is wwwaaayyy late, but as far as books about making a no-budget horror movie ... by far the best I've read is "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell. (The "Evil Dead" chapters.)

TiM the Zombie wrote:

For screenwriting, I would suggest getting a screenwriting software, if you don't already have one.  I use celtx, which is FREE and is really easy to use.  You can also convert it to a pdf. file for free.  I'd check it out.

hey tim where could I get that cletx??/thanks

I knew you'd budge eventually.  Enjoy.

http://www.celtx.com/

there's some random-ass product placement

So, did this movie ever get made?