Topic: Elephant Man

Did anyone see this classic?

I know its not really horror but I liked the film a lot it starred Anthony Hopkins and John Hurt and was based on a true story, very cruel but touching story that was made in 1980 although it is in black and white.

Re: Elephant Man

Yeah it's a classic, terrific acting through out the film.

I thought it was a really excellent movie. Yeah the acting was ok but everything about it is really good. I enjoyed seeing this movie alot.

I've read great reviews about this one but for some unknown reason I've never looked for it. Seems like the right time is here.

Yeah I saw it. It gives a good portrayal of John Merrick

*edit* and it's definitely not a horror movie

Last edited by DemonToSome (2007-03-13 00:21:36)

DemonToSome wrote:

Its ironic that you mention the portrayal of Merrick, that and how he was treated in the film would be my only reason for placing this film in the horror genre, the way he was treated reminded me of the original Frankenstein and a couple of the hammer versions as well, I know he wasn't brought back from the dead, but you could say that where he was before he met Hopkins was a place worse than death, where he was a outcast and a freak.

"Elephant Man" is an excellent film.  David Lynch did a fantastic job.

goldenwarrior wrote:
DemonToSome wrote:

Its ironic that you mention the portrayal of Merrick, that and how he was treated in the film would be my only reason for placing this film in the horror genre, the way he was treated reminded me of the original Frankenstein and a couple of the hammer versions as well, I know he wasn't brought back from the dead, but you could say that where he was before he met Hopkins was a place worse than death, where he was a outcast and a freak.

If it wasn't for Hopkins' character we would never know the true human being, Merrick was! A kind and honest person trapped in a hideous body. I see what you mean about where he was before he met Hopkins, but IMO I still don't see it as a horror movie.