Topic: No Good Horror

Here in Oz we are starving for good horror. We used to have some terrific films, late at night on commercial telly but now Bugger All! and we also more recently used to have a bloke called Des Mangan who used to show out there films, cult, horror, Asian Horror, Italian horror, well you get the picture. Now we have F...All! And woe betide anyone who works shift work or has insomnia cause we are all subject to crap TV. For those flush enough to have pay telly then occasionally there is something good to watch, But who in their right mind wants to pay $120 for that privilege. I mean that is at least 4 bought movies or in my case can be as much as 12 (I like to find a bargain). So think on us over there in movie land when you think you have nothing to watch 'cos we really do have nothing to watch.
Moan over.

Re: No Good Horror

oh yeah, we got Paris Hilton here. You win.  lol

That sucks that your selection is thin but I must say there are some good Aussie films I could watch while down there....granted if I watched them over and over I might go crazy but with films like Long Weekend, Roadgames, Gabriel, The Cars that Ate Paris, Black Water and Turkey Shoot I'd be able to keep myself entertained for a while.  Just keep any copies of Houseboat Horror away from me. 

Isnt the film Prey coming to theaters in Australia in May finally?

You guys have Mad Max and that's better than anything we have here, so I'm truly jealous.  Of course, that isn't horror, but I'd be damn proud of it if I were you

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

You guys have Mad Max and that's better than anything we have here, so I'm truly jealous.  Of course, that isn't horror, but I'd be damn proud of it if I were you

Better than anything we have here?? Seriously?

not to rain on cemetarygirl's unfortunate position, but last I checked we have Mad Max here as well lol

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-05-03 01:04:17)

THEY made Mad Max, though, we just happen to love it a little more, just like they have Heath Ledger, but we made almost all of his movies

Heath Ledger?!

now you're just adding insult to injury LOL

Long Weekend and Roadgames are fantastic Aussy Horror movies.  Also good movies would be Dead In Drive In, Razorback, and of course, Braindead aka Dead Alive.  Aussy horror doesn't hit all the time like here in the States or over in the UK, but the movies you guys give us are ones we don't forget.  Which is more than we can say about half of our horror films.  Also, in Australia, Mad Max (1st one only) is considered horror for the bloody nature of the film.  The Mad Max trilogy is my favorite film series

glad to hear Long Weekend getting some love, I upped a review of it months ago hoping to help expose that little known gem. I haven't seen Roadgames in years, very Hitchcockian.

and for the record Dead Alive is of New Zealand descent I believe

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-05-03 01:44:57)

It looks like you should start downloadin movies C-Girl haha oops did I say that out loud

Last edited by DemonToSome (2009-05-03 01:50:27)

Dead Alive is a New Zealand movie, but was released in Australia the same time it was in NZ and Australia did a better job of promoting it than NZ could.  New Zealand didn't get any love until the Lord of the Rings movies.  Australia also got the full cut of the movie, which I had to look up is 10 minutes longer than the UNCUT version we have here in the USA.

I may be reading your post wrong but, since I am taking it to mean that you can't find films to watch on TV, rather than Australia not making good films, I have to say that I agree with Demontosome - you should download or watch online (although I didn't say that out loud either lol).  In the UK, we tend to go through phases when there are horror films on every night (like this week, yay for ITV4!) but then go for weeks with little or no horror films on.  At the times when they are not showing anything, I'll watch films online.  It's not ideal but if they won't put on something for us to watch, they've no one to blame but themselves.  wink smile

What I have to say is that if it's available to download, then it's okay.  Another poster was talking (months ago) about films not being available in Australia for purchase as in no region 4 releases of big movies......download.  There are computers with DVD burners, buy a blank dvd from the store and boom, problem solved!  I have a feeling that will all soon change, though.

ah! England has crappy weather and crappy selection in DVD's, we win! lol tongue

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Long Weekend and Roadgames are fantastic Aussy Horror movies.  Also good movies would be Dead In Drive In, Razorback, and of course, Braindead aka Dead Alive.  Aussy horror doesn't hit all the time like here in the States or over in the UK, but the movies you guys give us are ones we don't forget.  Which is more than we can say about half of our horror films.  Also, in Australia, Mad Max (1st one only) is considered horror for the bloody nature of the film.  The Mad Max trilogy is my favorite film series

Roadgames is awesome cool Def. my favorite Ausy horror movie. Razorback is a close second.

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

ah! England has crappy weather and crappy selection in DVD's, we win! lol tongue

This week is good for films on UK TV though big_smile  :

Saturday - The Crazies (C4)
Sunday - Night of the Living Dead (1990) & Blair Witch 2:Book of Shadows (both ITV4)
Monday - Deliverance (C4), Hollow Man & Urban Legends: Final Cut (both C5), The Scars of Dracula (ITV4)
Tuesday - Basic Instinct (ITV2)
Wednesday - Shaun of the Dead (ITV2), Dracula - Prince of Darkness (ITV4)
Thursday - Eight Legged Freaks (ITV1), Bride of Chucky (ITV4)
Friday - Bride of Chucky (again!)

Yes guys (but thanks for your imput) I was talking about horror on the telly. Australia has made some fine flicks, but they are never on the telly. It seems we import all our rubbish. When telly first became 24 hour (in the 70's) they showed a far better and more varied selection. Now its filled with Infomercials, docos and crappy bad movies, or save our souls stuff. As I said we had Denis for a while bringing us a great variety of stuff like Black Serenade, Asian Horror and Italian Horror and now we have nothing. So most of the time I use my telly as a receptacle to play DVDs and videos. Love you though. smile

Oooh thanks Jackal darl' big_smile

There are actually some movies on that, that I am definitely interested in so will check those out. Thank you! smile

I like horror movies~~haha!:P:D

I never EVER watch horror movies on tv because, at least in America, we have the FCC which is the F**king C**ts Commission because they censor everything.  God bless unrated dvds.

Cemetarygirl, it must be a bitch.  I sympathize.  Let me know your list of must-haves, if I can get it cheap with minimal shipping costs (probably a sight less than what they'd charge you), I'll send them to you with no charge, love!  One must keep the appreciation alive, you've always been a sweetie.  Send me a message, and we'll make it happen.

Last edited by LivingDeadDoll (2009-07-23 11:12:29)