Re: Remakes

i agree with alot of the people sum classics lik evil dead and such should be left alone but then u got remakes that u go wow im really impressed such as the hills have eyes TCM but this whole prequel with tcm looks real good so ill see hopefully its not gimmik for fuckin money and i swear if the squeal to hills sucks i will say wtf they should of just left it alone

I've liked every remake I've seen so I am fine with remakes. They don't hurt the original, they don't try to replace the original, so why complain?

Obviously you have never seen The Fog or When A Stranger Calls.. or Amittyville Horror, The Omen. Those films were cinematic garbage. Even if you did "like" it. They were very poorly done. In one way or another.. MTV edits, acting, poor scripts, rushed out for a certain release..

Fog was crap and The Omen was basically Donner's original with a fresh cast and a more modern look.

I do believe that remakes try to replace the original in that a lot of remakes (omen, psycho) were the originals but like golden said, with a fresh cast and a more moderin look which IMO is not needed.  But some of the remakes like when a stranger calls, the fog, TCM, and more were just down right crap.

I'm not against GOOD remakes.. Ones that actually bring something new and fresh to the story. But if your just gonna basically give me the same movie just modernize it don't even do it. We already have the films on DVD or VHS or whatever. Make something original..

The sad thing about remakes is that sometimes people don't even recognize that a film is a remake. I'm talking mainly about mainstream here. So they never even see usually the better film that the remake is based on.

Something else that I found rather funny is that when the remake of TCM came out once again people began thinking it was a true story. Some people even thought that the archival footage at the end of the film was REAL. This obviously shows that these people have never seen what real old footage looks like.. All you have to do is go online and look at maybe one site and you would find out that the story is based on one man and he is nothing like Leatherface or the Sawyer family.. well in most regards.

Well said Goon

i agree good post Goon.

I agree with Goon too, good one.

Very well put Goon.

I have to agree as well Goon.  I was trying to get at that, but I couldnt find the right words.

I have to agree with Goon I am not against good remakes as long as they approach the film fresh and if the film was crap...make it better.  *cough*The*cough*Keep*cough*....sorry...had a cough there. tongue

I know a lot of folks who think that TCM was a real event...kinda funny in a way.  The most horrifying thing for me though was the fact all but myself, two other movie fans and the teachers at my high school thought that King Kong '05 was an original film.  They didn't know about the original, nor the Jeff Bridges remake.  This was confirmed when I stormed into school the next day after skipping class, eyes still wide with wonder gushing over the film and the battle at the end with Kong dying.  SO many folks told me I ruined it....they never knew it was a remake and the planes attacking Kong in the trailer on the Empire State building...it never registered he might die.  One girl thought he would be knocked out cold and transported home.  *She's blonde:P*

My biggest annoyance is that people watch the remakes and then the originals and say how crappy they are.  'No cute girls, no big action scenes' and the like.  Gawd, annoys the hell outta me.

Thats something that I just can't believe.. I mean King Kong.. Come on I thought EVERYONE knew about King Kong. Its possibly one of the biggest films ever.. Thats something that I would have to see to even believe. I mean to me thats like a hardcore horror fan saying they have never heard of Jason Voorhees.. Its just something so beyond ridiculous that it just doesn't register..

Yeah, KK is one of the most iconic films of all time, like Godzilla...its a fantasy film that crosses all genre borders to be a classic in anyone's book.  And there are so many references to it.  Sky Captain has quiet a few.

I remember I handed my teacher a VHS copy of the original and said here's the original for a movie day and he popped it in.  Folks were like 'what the hell is this crappy film?  Whats so great about it?'  I loved (and still do) the original Kong when it came on AMC Saturday Morning Movie.  I guess you have to see it at a younger age to really enjoy its full power.

But, like you said...no excuse for not hearing of any of the originals.

Haha yea.  I hated the king kong remake, way to dragged out...extremely boring, fell asleep in theatres, no joke.  I know some people who loved the TCM remake and hated the original because it was to boring... Ok what the fuck?  And people who dont know jason vorhees but know when the words friday the 13th come up...what the fuck?  People who claim to love horror and favorite movies are Red Eye?  I love halloween...wes craven did such a great job on it (actual quote) or Land of the Dead was awesome!  "Wasnt it by Wes Craven?"  People NEED to see the originals way before the remakes, I'd even say the same for Hills even though the remake was WAY better.  I even know people who have seen the Omen remake and had no idea there was an original...five bux said if they saw the original they'd like the remake better.  It really pisses me off a lot of the times as well and I'm sick of it... Thats why I'm with the slogan, "Say No to Remakes!"...lacks originality which IMO is key in filmaking

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-26 21:25:02)

I love the Kong remake.  The remake of TCM....half and half.

I admire Peter Jackson and all for films such as Bad Taste, Dead Alive, Meet the Feebles, and The Frighteners.  But to me films like the LOTR series and king kong made him, i guess "sell out" which doesnt really work in the film industry.  I dont know, i prefer his older stuff.

As for TCM...down right hated it

Goon wrote:

Obviously you have never seen The Fog or When A Stranger Calls.. or Amittyville Horror, The Omen. Those films were cinematic garbage. Even if you did "like" it. They were very poorly done. In one way or another.. MTV edits, acting, poor scripts, rushed out for a certain release..

I liked The Amityville Horror and The Omen remakes. I also like the originals. I think the TCM remake is a lot better than the original too.

Well everyone has the right to like whatever they want.  I just personally cant see how you can like the TCM remake more than the original.  The original in 1974 is a classic, and its also one of my top favorite films of all time.  Having them remake it is almost a disgrace IMO.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-08-28 18:24:37)

The original is just really boring. I'm not trying to take anything away from it, but it bores the crap out of me. The remake is exciting, fast-paced, and still has that punch in the gut.

I like the original TCM far more than the remake.  The remake has this glossy, sleek (though very yellow and brown) look to it.  And the original is far more grity and dirty.  Far better atmosphere.

The shitty quality of film used in the original is a good thing. It's like your watching someone's home movie they made during their average day.
It gives it a more "real" and shocking feel to it.
I like the original better than any of the sequels or remake

Just chiming in with my .02 cents(I'm a cheap bastard).

While I'd rather Hollywood produce more original works, I'm a realist.  I truly don't mind them making the remakes, because I don't believe that the remake necessarily takes the place of an original, creative idea.  I don't think remakes detract from the original either.  For example, how many people checked out the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre after having heard of the remake.  Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I'm guessing that the original has at least two or three more new fans, based upon the awareness the remake brought with it.

Ultimately....the sad truth is that the average movie goer really doesn't care about the originals anymore.  They may not know they even exist.  The suits know it...we know it.  It's just too easy to cast the newest WB stars, film a remake, and expose a new generation of filmgoers to the story. 

To me, there are no sacred cows.  They can film whatever they like.  The original will still be there.

As far as Clash Of The Titans;

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but even then I knew just how mythologically inaccurate it was.

1:  Titans ruled the earth and the heavens before the gods.  Chronos swallowed all of his children, until his wife tricked him into swallowing a boulder rather then her son, Zeus.  Zeus killed Chronos, releasing all of his brothers and sisters.

2:  Medusa was a gorgon.  One of three.  She was human once and very beautiful until the gods, jealous of the three cursed Medusa and her two sisters.

3:  Perseus had winged sandals.  It was Bellerephon who rode Pegasus...in fact, I don't think Perseus was involved in the Medusa story at all.  If I recall correctly, it was actually Bellerophon who while flying casually past killed the Kraken with Medusa's head and saved the girl..not Perseus.

There were other inaccuricies, but I don't recall them off hand, and my knowledge of Greek mythology is a bit rusty, but all in all, Clash Of The Titans was wildly inaccurate.

But I was a nerd, and I would guess the general public either didn't know or didn't care.

As far as a remake?  No, thanks.  Though I wouldn't object if Hollywood mined the old greek legends for more stories.  I enjoyed Clash Of The Titans.  Good cheesy fun.  Plus Harry Harryhausen....

Doby Doby:  I actually agree with you.  The original TCM did nothing for me really.  It was good, but I think way overblown.  Of course we're in the minority here, most true horror fans really dig the original and I will admit it was a ground breaking movie, but I can't say I'm a real fan.  Sure, the remake looked glossy in comparison, and because of that, lost some of the grit and perhaps realism of the original....but....one of the two Jessicas in a stained tank top....R. Lee Ermey...good times, my friend.

As far as The Omen and Amityville Horror remakes, I have yet to see them, I have no real desire to do so, so I can't speak to them.  You're on your own there Dobe Dobe..good luck.  wink
Edited to add my controversial thoughts concerning the original TCM and to show solidarity with Doby Doby.  So he's not all alone out there.

Last edited by sMart (2006-10-19 21:19:55)