Re: What are you reading?

The Epitome of Fear wrote:

Try abebooks.com & powells.com I have had a lot of luck with these two sites.  You can also make a wish list and they will alert you by email when they find your book.  And they are not too expensive.

Cool, actually I just like buying my stuff in stores. I use to buy dvds on the net but someone stole my credit card number 4 years ago and ran it up but thankfully my bank and Mastercard took care of it for me. The only way I buy stuff on the net now is with a personal check.

That sucks.  There are a few used book stores here in backwoods East Texas.  But the selection sucks.  So the internet is my only option.

Can I just say that I find it refreshing that the folks on this site are well rounded enough fans to actually read some genre output and not just view it? Some forums allow their book talkbacks to wilt & die for the most part.

I think that horror literature is a very important aspect of the genre.  From the looks of it, I think a lot of people might feel the same way.

In all honesty, I can never really find a solid horror novel, sure there is the Dean Koontz and King aspects...but I'm always looking for a bit gorier and more deranged.  Right now however, I'm reading Gates of Fire...which is about the spartans and the battle of Thermoplye....narrated by a squire who worked under one of the infamous 300...great read.  The second is called "A Fighter's Heart", which chronicles a man through is career as an MMA Fighter.

I love horror and true crime novels especially Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi.

Anyone know of a good crime novel about Ed Gein's life?

DeathbyHighKick wrote:

In all honesty, I can never really find a solid horror novel, sure there is the Dean Koontz and King aspects...but I'm always looking for a bit gorier and more deranged.  Right now however, I'm reading Gates of Fire...which is about the spartans and the battle of Thermoplye....narrated by a squire who worked under one of the infamous 300...great read.  The second is called "A Fighter's Heart", which chronicles a man through is career as an MMA Fighter.

If you want gory and deranged horror novels, you can check out books by Brian Keene or Jack Ketchum.  They write some pretty intense stuff.  I love it.

As for an Ed Gein book, I don't know of any.  But, that would be a fun read.

Fatal Vision is a good read about Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald who killed his wife and 2 daughters back in 1970 when he was a doctor and a green beret.

RIP wrote:

I love horror and true crime novels especially Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi.

Anyone know of a good crime novel about Ed Gein's life?

Helter Skelter is a personal favorite of mine as well, it was the first true crime book I ever read, mostly trying to understand the whole Manson allure. I've re-read it a few times over the last 15 years, it's still a blistering page turner.

I am huge horror novel fan here are some of my favs:
Anything by Edward Lee: he is twisted in ways only you've dreamed of
Richard Laymon: Thr Rain, Body Rides, Come out Tonight, pretty much anything he does is awesome
Jack Ketchum: Off Season, The Lost, Peaceable Kingdom
David Eddington: Monster Island, Monster Nation, Monster Planet (not out yet)
Brian Keene: The Rising, City of the Dead
F. Paul Wilson: any Repairman Jack novels, Midnight Mass, The Keep, Soft and others
Bentley Little: The Policy, The Store, The walking

Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box

He looks just like his dad.

thanks for all these authors...off to Barnes and Noble I go!

DeathbyHighKick wrote:

early clive barker shorts are a bit off the beaten path give the "books of blood" a try. with them being shorts if you dont like them you dont have much time invested. i also like alot of brian lumley.

DeathbyHighKick wrote:

thanks for all these authors...off to Barnes and Noble I go!

Get these books by Bentley little:

The Return
Death Instinct
The Summoning

Hey RIP if you are really nice to me maybe I could let you borrow the Bentley Little books you haven't read yet.  I have all of them.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0843956445.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just started.

VICTIM BY Shaun hutson

Shaun hutson, i am reading the White Ghost at the moment

im not reading a horror novel rite now, im reading Mein Kamph, the book that Hitler wrote to explain how he got his philosophy of hating the Jews. he rambles ALOT and goes completely off subject at times, but its actually kinda interesting to me. he was seriously fucked up in the head.
he also jumps around alot. he'll be talking about when he was a young child, then switch to his father and what he did, then back to being a child, then being a teenager, then being 23, then being a child again. he really needed to learn to write in chronoligical order.

Last edited by deathgate666 (2007-04-27 18:52:12)

I currently picked up The Zombie Survival Guide, by Max Brooks. I wish I would of picked this book up a lot earlier, it is very entertaining, and helpful for that one day I wish to come true when Zombies Attack big_smile

Just finished The Girl Next Door.. If you want something truly horrifying.. As in this could really happen and DID happen, read this book.. Jack Ketchum is the author and it is definetly worth looking into..

Next I think I'm going to read a classic, Mary Shelleys Frankenstein..

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/nkFloyd2880/BloodTattoo.jpg

Finally gone back to reading this after a year or so. If you have never heard of this book, here's what it's about:

This inventive debut novel follows Rossamünd Bookchild, a foundling boy saddled with an unfortunate name, as he ventures out from his childhood home at the orphanage into the wide world of the Half-Continent, a Georgian-esque society where humans wage an unending battle against the shadowy monsters of the wilds. (The tattoo of the series title is the mark given to the slayer of such a beast.) During his journey from boy to man, Rossamünd has his share of adventures, encounters a variety of colorful characters, and learns that the world is more complex and perilous than he was raised to believe. Including an extensive Explicarium (glossary) and pages of maps, diagrams, and character portraits, Cornish's world-building efforts show a depth and intricacy reminiscent of the work of J. R. R. Tolkien or Robert Jordan. While the elaborate jargon may bewilder some, the unique and fascinating Half-Continent, where ships with organic engines sail caustic vinegar oceans and monster-hunters gain supernatural powers through dangerous surgeries, is a delightful, refreshing standout in a sea of cookie-cutter fantasy worlds.

Re-reading F. Paul Wilson's THE KEEP till Paul Brennan's RAZORBACK comes in.

Goon wrote:

Just finished The Girl Next Door.. If you want something truly horrifying.. As in this could really happen and DID happen, read this book.. Jack Ketchum is the author and it is definetly worth looking into..

Next I think I'm going to read a classic, Mary Shelleys Frankenstein..

Awesome book, Ketchum is a great writer....good selection Goon.

Yea he is. I think next time I'm in the book store I am going to pick up Off Season.. It sounds like a lot of fun..