Topic: Fangoria or Rue Morgue....I need help?

Well I thought that I would either get subscriptions orderd for either Fangoria magazines or Rue Morgue. I use to be a yearly subscriber to Fangoria but quit about 4 years ago but I miss getting magazines in the mail so my question to ya'll is which one should I order today: Fangoria or Rue Morgue?

Thanks for any advice.;):cool:

Re: Fangoria or Rue Morgue....I need help?

I used to be a die hard Fango fan but recently I've been leaning toward Rue Morgue.  Fango's still good but it has gotten so expensive it pisses me off.  LOL

I can order subscriptions online, right?

I'm leaning more towards Fangoria I guess cause I use to get them but I read a Rue Morgue one time and they just didn't seem to have alot of pics of films in it for some reason.

Yeah I suppose Rue Morgue is more focused on writing than pictures.  I can see that. 

Yes you can get the subscriptions online.

moviemaven wrote:

Yeah I suppose Rue Morgue is more focused on writing than pictures.  I can see that. 

Yes you can get the subscriptions online.

I appreciate it.:cool::D

I read Fangoria and get their magazines all the time, but havn't read Rue Morgue I will have to check them out actually! big_smile lol, I would say Fangoria if you want some really gory pictures tho, some of which aren't even in the movies themselves for more than...well less than a second, just a flash! But its a good magazine its all just a matter of opinion I guess.

If you search around online, you can find fangoria subscriptions for roughly 50% off.
i used to have one, i may even renew it

survivalist wrote:

If you search around online, you can find fangoria subscriptions for roughly 50% off.
i used to have one, i may even renew it

Really? Damn......if you come across a link to it that's 50% off then let me know please lol.;):cool:

moviemaven wrote:

Yeah I suppose Rue Morgue is more focused on writing than pictures.

yeah def !

I used to have a sub to Fango for a long time but it lapsed so now I seem to buy alot of Rue Morgues....  but they both have their good pionts! Fango has tons of great pics and extensive dvd release lists , while RM has really excellent articles and more obscure topics !  You better just get both of them big_smile

ive never read fango but have read rue moruge. Rue morgue to me is a great magazine for fans with great writing.

Yeah it depends on what you are looking for.  Fango is more mainstream horror oriented with lots of pictures and interviews with big names that have been interviewed millions of times elsewhere.

Rue morgue seems to cover a lot more lesser known horror films outside of the mainstream titles and they have some pretty good articles.

But since you have the brain of a 3 year old, you should go with Fango so you can have nice shiny pictures to look at and not worry about reading.  lol

I prefer Rue Morgue, but for some reason, I only have a subscription to Fangoria. I guess that was the one I could get cheaper. My problem with Fangoria is that all the movies covered in it are really mainstream, whereas Rue Morgue actually covers films I may not have heard of.

Well I did order a 6 month subscription to Fango and even joined their forum which is quite cool and really has hardly any members on it like HM.ca does here.

I've not read any of them, you don't really see them here in Scotland, it's the kind of thing i would have to order. I've often wondered what Fangoria is like, does it cover big & low budget movies?

RIP! I had to jump over here after seeing you on the Fango boards.

Since I started working for Fango back in October, I haven't really been visiting the HM.ca boards as much, but I still dig it cool

The FANGORIA boards had 16K+ members until someone got pissed and they went "poof". We had to start from scratch, so now we've got around 2100, but they're a nice, active group - though not as "family"-oriented as the HM.ca boards... yet wink

HM.ca has always had one of the best forums on the web, and I'm not ashamed to say that even as a Fango staffer these days.

Now for the "doing my job" part of the post...

As for the mag, glad you've jumped on-board RIP! We do a 40% off subscription for the 1-year (it's an even bigger discount when applied to international readers).

Sadly, a lot of those places offering 50% off (and sometimes more) aren't always reliable, so we don't vouch for them. The only outside source we can recommend is Amazon.com.

Problem is, that all of those "cheapmags" type discount sites don't actually get the mags from Fango, which is equally frustrating. They snag 'em from a third party, then handle their own distro, so if subscribers through those have problems - we can't do anything about 'em. Some readers have had great experiences, and some really bad.

The standard newsstand price of $8.99 is steep, and unfortunately dictated by the distro and retail channels. In fact, RUE MORGUE just had a price increase to $9.95, basically a dollar higher than Fango.

By the numbers, a 1-year (10 issue) subscription to Fango through Fango is $54.47.
- a 1-year (11 issue) subscription to Rue through Rue is $74.95.
Basically you're getting an extra issue, but paying 20 bucks for it.

If any of you have any other Fango questions, fire away! I'll answer all of em.

hey james good to see you. I have not read fango so cant say good or bad but you writing for it helps it get points. That said i dont think its boards can TOUCH the good quality boards we have here... but then I am biased smile

Hey Meh!

As I said, I love the HM.ca boards. A true gem, and you've always done a great job with them and the site.

Just to clarify, I don't write for the print mag (I've actually never been asked to), but I do a ton for the website.Officially I'm the "Director of New Media Development", so I oversee all the web projects (Fango, Gorezone, Starlog, etc), and I work on a lot of new projects that haven't been announced yet. I will be writing for the relaunched FANGORIA GOREZONE (big focus on indie film) and Fango is the home of my comic series, which is actually how I ended up there.  Comic landed at Fango and a month later they asked me to work for 'em.

very cool and i took no offense at all smile There are lots of great horror sites and I am not like SOME guys who run horror sites and have to talk shit about them to boost my own ego. Fango is a good site and we give it as much love as you guys give us!

Speaking of Gorezone, is there a date when the first issue will come out? I've looked, and I can't seem to find anything.

I haven't read Fangoria, but I save every copy of Rue Morgue I buy on the newsstands.  The best thing about Rue Morgue is the exceptional writing, which is better than most mainstream magazines.  I just wish a one-year subscription wasn't so expensive.

yourmotheratemydog715 wrote:

Speaking of Gorezone, is there a date when the first issue will come out? I've looked, and I can't seem to find anything.

A date hasn't been announced yet, but it's looking like Fall.

We've got the website started at http://www.fangoriagorezone.com but it's in it's infancy. Really focusing on QUALITY or exceptionally FUN indies, as well as some great classics.

The print GZ is a different beast than Fango. Different writers, editors, and content. Expanded coverage of horror comics and lit, music, etc in addition to the film stuff.

Just for the record (because I get asked a lot), we have nothing to do with a UK mag of the same name. Fango has owned the trademark on the name GOREZONE and all of it's uses since 1988.

i've got nothing against rue morgue (i read the occasional issue) but i've been reading fangoria on and off since the mid-eighties and even now i can't wait for the issues to get to my local newsstand so i 'll have to say go with fango.

Hey, If we're gonna play the forum comparison game, just remember that Fango doesn't have a <Macho> wink

Edit: And that's a bad thing tongue

lol:lol::lol:

So stay here big_smile

Last edited by Cap Howdy (2009-06-28 18:22:07)

I still say the more horror the better wink

But, as far as mags go, I think that everyone kind of has a niche, and certain things that they do better or worse than their rivals.

As far as websites go, even though Meh frowns upon the smack talk, there's a few out there that really deserve it.

I'm Canadian, Rue Morgue is Canadian, but Fango is the shit when it comes to Horror Cinema.

Rue is too scatter shot; 1/3 movies, and 2/3 comics/books/other stuff. That's not enough Horror Movie Madness by my math.