Topic: Stephen King's Cell

So I finally finished Cell.  I read half of it a while ago and never finished.  I remembered I enjoy the beginning parts I read, so i finally reread the whole book.

All I got to say is.....the first half was awesome and the second half blew nuts.  Things got so ridiculously stupid with all the telepathy and shit.  Am I the only one who thinks the second half of the book should just be erased from my memory? 

Really reminds me why I dont read much by King.

Re: Stephen King's Cell

lol
I read the first half two years ago and then stopped when it started to bore me and I never returned to it. I guess you saved me some valuable reading time.
Thanks!
Shake

My biggest problem with King: his stories are almost always fantastic in the beginning and then dumb down toward the end.  Cell's a perfect example.  Starts off all violent and intriguing, then you got some Raggedy Man belching "No Fo."  And don't get me started on the ending of Needful Things.  Bang, zoom!

You know, I have to admit, I was never one for telepathy or the supernatural. They used telepathy in one of the Phantasm movies, but just enough to make the point, so I could bear it.

It seems like all King's books end in some sort of telepathy. Remember IT? Great book till the end, then all that weird biting the psychic tongue garbage.

My favorite part of the book is that in the "about the author" section, Stephen King lives with his wife, Tabitha, and does not own a cell phone.

It seemed like he was really trying to break his run of the sucky-endings, but didn't suckceed.   HA HA HA.  Hm.  Anyway.  It's true!  The telepathy always ruins everything.  A clown is scary.  A little girl shooting flames is scary.  A man chasing his son through the snow is scary.  Someone standing and concentrating really hard?  Not so much.

That said, I still liked Cell way better than any of his other recent works.

An awful lot of his stories start well and go downhill, unfortunately.  sad   I haven't read Cell yet and I'm in no hurry to do so.  Lisey's Story was so disappointing that I haven't read anything of his since, although I'm sure I'll crack sooner or later.

LoudLon wrote:

My biggest problem with King: his stories are almost always fantastic in the beginning and then dumb down toward the end.

My personal feeling is Kings books for the most part are a bell curve.

slow beginning building towards a peak in the middle...then the inevitable decline towards the end...

i loved the first half of the cell, the latter half with the whole hive mind thing...ehhh...

> going to bite my tongue here < But Misery & Carrie? I've read both of these and they kept my attention riveted. I'll admit some of his books do drift toward the end but there are exceptions like the two mentioned.

big_smile

Im not saying ALL his books are bell curved, but the newer ones seem to be stuck in that pattern.
a few of the older ones as well but not so much as currently.

I have only read one other King book, which was It, and again disappointed by how he took the end of that.   I dont read a lot of horror in general as it is, but this is why.  most the shit i've read is a great start but never finishes.

Read the Stand - the uncut version, much better ending, although still a lot of filler inbetween.

the shining, pet semetary, and his short storie collections are worth a read.

Nah, I'm happy leaving King off my bookshelf but thanks for the recommendations.  I am not a big horror reader to begin with.  I read lots of obscure fiction and fantasy and stuff.  Hell of a lot more intriguing stuff than most the horror i've read.

Read clive barker, he is much better.

I agree.  I read the book back when it was first released and didn't like the ending.  The actual ending left me pretty dumbfounded too.  Still a good book, though.  I'd recommend it.

I liked the whole way through, although I did like the beginning better than the end. But I'm a big King fan.

Sorry Mr. King....Brian Keene has my heart now.;)
Try The Stand in comic form...put out by Marvel comics. VERY well done.

Potential Spoiler.

Cell jumped the shark when the cinder block flew.  Period.

Okay, so the only book i thought never went downhill was "IT"

I have to say that Cell had my attention from the beginning to the end - I read it very quickly. The beginning of the book was awesome.

I admit, that the telepathy, levitation etc is a little bit "out there", but luckily not too much.

im a king fan but i agree didnt like the ending.The stand,Salams Lot,Night Shift short stories were excellent-the mangler,the raft,the lawn mower manalso some of his stories under bachman like the long walk and the running man the true running man not that shit movie with Arnie also the langoliers,thats the real king.Ur thoughts?

I didn't mind the telepathy/hive mind so much as the levatation...   IT is one of my favorite books, but I hated the Spider from Outer Space ending.

Wow no way I don't agree! I absolutely loved Cell!! I stayed up all night reading it and was pretty much obsessed with the story. I thought it was amazing from start to finish.

I'm a mad King fan though. Cujo, It, Christine, Cell and Pet Sematary are like my favourite books of all time.

my Fav King book is Dreamcatcher and IT