Topic: Any of you replacing your old DVDs with Blue Ray or HD DVDs?

I picked up Saw 3 Blue Ray disc it only cost about $5 more than the regular DVD, but I can't afford to replace my whole DVD collection I going to start off with some of my favorites, the Devil Rejects Blue Ray was sweet I reccomend that one if your just buying one.

Here is a little link comparing blue ray and HD you have to scroll down a bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Re: Any of you replacing your old DVDs with Blue Ray or HD DVDs?

Theres no way I'm going to "replace" my DVD collection. I already did that from VHS.
I can live with regular DVD's but that doesn't mean I won't buy the new format though for maybe certain movies.

agree demon. I am not falling into this gimmick anyday soon. Thank you studios for trying to sell a lame technology to me. I will be upgrading most my VHS to dvd though.

DemonToSome wrote:

Theres no way I'm going to "replace" my DVD collection. I already did that from VHS.
I can live with regular DVD's but that doesn't mean I won't buy the new format though for maybe certain movies.

I agree with you they only have  a handful of movies out right now that I am interested in, But if the Alien films are on BR I am going to get those for sure.

i have xbox 360 so im goign with the hd dvd but im only buyign the ones that i think i should buy

sry i didnt have time to finish my pos my classes switched but anyway im only gonna buy movies with highly graphic movies like war movies and horror mvoies with some very good special effects  but really to me HD is betetr then that blu ray bullshit sony has

I am hoping to have my new 42" wide screen 1080i HD TV by the end of the year.  Until then I don't have HD anything to play them on or watch them on.  When one of the formats (HD or Blueray) clearly gains some market dominace I'll address it then.  I still have a lot of movies in VHS that need to be repurchased in DVD so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to high def yet.

Im good wit what I got, I don't have a need to upgrade. (not to mention I ain't got the money to start again)

There is no way in hell i am wasting my money on HD or Blu Rays. For how long i've been getting movies on DVD and how many i have, i'm not starting over. DVD's aren't going anywhere, but HD and Blu Ray DVD's aren't gonna last. The only reason why they brought these out is all the studios wants to take all of our money. So it's pointless as hell to replace what you have that won't last long and all the movies you own. I have an X-Box 360 also but i'm not wasting my money on HD DVDs. The studios can go screw themselves.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-04-05 11:04:05)

Yea to be honest Blu-Ray and HD are really nothing special.. They are just for techies who MUST have the highest in quality.. Well you know I am one that believes the quality of the movie is more important then the quality of the picture..

Plus one of the formats will be gone in the next couple years anyway so no use in buying up one or the other now.. Personally I think Blu-Ray will win it already has almost all the studios on its side and not to mention holds two times the amount of information than HD..

No, I'm still using an old carburator and a tv screen.

Actually, no, I think of it as a scheme to make us buy what we already have.

Remember the DVD revolution?  While DVDs might have been visually a little better than VHS, wasn't it only 'a little

I sure am. DVDs look terrible, but I will buy one if there's no Blu-ray out.

I'm updating my collection to banana-urine vase digital projection tech- does that count?

i'm trying to keep beta alive

I unfortunately do this, and I say unfortunately because it costs money. lol I do it to the extent that, if I have a film on Blu-Ray, and a Steelbook Blu-Ray version of the film I already own on Blu-Ray comes out, I will buy the Steelbook one as well.

It's weird though, I have no idea how some movies get the Blu-Ray transfer like Boogey-Man and American Psycho doesn't (it hasn't in Europe anyway).

Slowly but surely, only for my favorite movies though. 4k movies will be the next step, neither disks or digital are ready to handle that though. Blu-Ray will be around for a while.

You ain't harsh ENOUGH!

I was upgrading some VHS that I had to DVD.
Will I upgrade my DVD to Blu Ray? Probably not.
Will I buy new release Blu Ray. Yes if the price is right.
I have no problems with DVD's. I guess it'll depend on what's released.
A special edition Carrie (original) with behind the scenes or whatever, is something I would get in Blu Ray. I'm not rich to replace them all.
I have been upgrading my Disney VHS to Blu Ray though tongue

I just buy what's on sale if it is something I want or buy used

Though I am not necessarily upgrading my collection I would always buy Blu over DVD nowadays.

Whenever I can I get dual formats - they are good because its dvd and then Blu-Ray is with it if u decide to upgrade. I very often get Arrow Video releases which now release some of my fav films ever e.g People Under The Stairs, Black Sabbath, Spider Baby in HD or dual format with lots of extra special features which might not be able to fit on a regular dvd.

And in my own opinion I can definitely tell the difference between a SD DVD and HD Blu-Ray, especially on a bigger screen - though I realise not everyone ca afford such a setup.

Last edited by Vasquez (2014-03-27 18:07:03)

^^^
Yeah, like that for me can't afford it. But it's wise to get both versions with the Blu Ray if you later upgrade for sure. But my DVD store doesn't have their 3-4 movies for the price of one for these. Just DVDs... roll

One thing that'd make me wanna upgrade my big ass old not even digital TV.

The Asylum's films on Blu Ray. Mwahahaha lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-27 18:45:01)

Laser disc is where its at!

^^^
Or Gun. Hahaha lol

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lasergewehr-sut-1964.jpg