Topic: Help! Desperatly seeking good Horror/Sci-fi novels

I work the graveyard shift ( muah-ha-ha tongue) and I need to find more books to read so that I don't fall asleep! Any suggestions on good horror/sci-fi novels? I'm especially fond of books involving zombies, post-apocalyptic societies, vampires (dear god, no tween vamp. books...I've read/seen/heard enough about Twilight for one lifetime), supernatural, serial killers, etc.

Re: Help! Desperatly seeking good Horror/Sci-fi novels

World War Z- a 'history' of a zombie apocalypse.  Good read.

The Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell Hamilton.  Though it gets into a bunch of raunchy sex stuff by the 5th book or so.  Vamp Wife told me it got better after that, but haven't read them yet.

Zombie Chronicles by James Melzer.  Free downloads from his site Jamesmelzer.net.  Nice story, different angle.

Necroscope Saga by Brian Lumley.  Check his website for the order of the books, they don't go 1, 2, 3, etc.  I liked these, though I only have read the first 5.

The 'Dark' series by Christine Feehan.  Not a 'tween series, but a big focus on love.  Actually, it's weird.  Lots of violence, though.

There's always Lovecraft.  I like me some Lovecraft, read every story.

There is a series of Resident Evil books that are side stories from the games and movies.  They are OK and quick reads.

Some more info on some sites you can check out:

Here is a website with a bunch of zombie books listed.

Here is a website for vampire books.

Some on post apocalyptic books.

Thanks! I have actually started on the res-evil series, I have read both world war z and the zombie survival guide, and I also read the Anita Blake books, or at least up until Anita Blake started humping everything within five feet of her....then it got a little awkward.... I prefer my vampire hunters to be more 'Buffy-like' anyway tongue This is a good start at least....I'm really hoping that other readers will reply to this! I'm ALWAYS looking for good books

^^^ Yeah, I gave up when she was doing a threesome that included the ewok/goblin guy. 

Oh, the Sookie/ True Blood series is also good.

I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies today for my graveyard shift. Thoroughly enjoyable so far.:)

I have been meaning to read the charlaine harris books (sookie stackhouse series) as well as the Pride and Prejudice and zombies. Did anyone ever read the books based on the Buffy the vampire series or was I the only one (I probably was...but oh, how I love Joss Whedon)

In the Land of Longfingernails or The Tooth Fairy

Since you work graveyard shift and like post-apocalyptic stuff, read Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  It's long and it's downright awesome

If you've got internet access in work or at least computer access you could pop over to baen.com they have a shitload of Scifi and fantasy novels for free.
Or you could try David Wellington's Monster Island also online for free (just google him) as well as it's sequels and his vampire and werewolf books are there for free as well.

"Watchers" by Dean Koontz. much much better than the films made from it.

Welcome back Wolfy hun, missed you! smile and I second the Dean Koonz book, imo, really underrated Author and novel big_smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

Welcome back Wolfy hun, missed you! smile and I second the Dean Koonz book, imo, really underrated Author and novel big_smile

thanks BTK, missed ya babexx. haven't read many dean koontz books but i really liked this one, a great tale that moved as well and had great characters you cared about and that included the dog and the "evil creature".

Anything by Lovecraft,IT by Stephen King.The series is old but the DOOM book series wasn't bad.

Wow, thanks to everyone who responded. I just got a chance to look since I spent the last week at the beach with no internet and, I must say, I am impressed with how many people responded... I really only expected to get one or two recommendations out of this. It goes to show that there are still some people out there who bother to pick up a book and read rather than absorb things via tv/internet/movies.

I read watchers when I was 11 or 12  and I have been meaning to re-read it. It is truly my fav. Dean Koontz book.

Oh, and more recommendations would always be appreciated! I always need more books to read/hoard/etc.

Who could resist those blank, white, soulless eyes of yours!  big_smile

You can try "They thirst" by Robert R McCammon , it's a pretty decent read.
http://www.steve-calvert.co.uk/book-rev … thirst.htm

Paul F Wilson "The Keep" - WWII german soldiers found something even more nastier than them. smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_(novel)

The travelling vampire show by Richard Laymon
http://www.lsu.edu/necrofile/traveling.htm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "The Rising", "City of the Dead", and "Dead Sea" by Brian Keene.  A good and gory zombie series. http://www.briankeene.com

true killer:
Say You Love Satan
Rope Burns
Satan's High Priest

these horror anthologies are great for intermittent reads :
Shock Rock 1 & 2
Book Of The Dead 1 & 2
Love In Vein
Midnight Graffiti
Prime Evil
Fear Itself
I Shudder At Your Touch
The 'Hot Blood' Series

anything by Skipp & Spector
or Joe R. Lansdale too
big_smile

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-08-09 18:16:29)

ClockworkHorror wrote:

I picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies today for my graveyard shift. Thoroughly enjoyable so far.:)

That's the one I have been looking for!!! kewl