Topic: British Horror Films

Favourite: THE DESCENT
Least Favourite: THE REPTILE
over rated:DOG SOLDIERS
Under rated: 28 WEEKS LATER

Re: British Horror Films

You have to be kidding me! Lol I cannot, CANNOT do 4 movies that I like or hate. Because british horror is a special place in heart for me. I think many of our movies are underrated and looked past because the central of movies is atypically Hollywood.

I love Dog Soldiers, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz (which I considered partially horror), The Descent, Mum & Dad, The Wicker Man (original of course lol), An American Werewolf in London, Wilderness (not great but still fun), 28 Days Later > and it's follow up. Severance, Outpost, The Company of Wolves, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, I am rambling lol but I love my country's movies.

I feel because our nation does not have the budget most other movies do we are forced in ways to use creativity, imagination because we cannot rely on the special effects they do. Characterisation and passion is key and quite often it shows.

I admit sometimes our movies fail and when they do, they do it in spectacular fashion but when we get it right, oh man! Watch out. I do love british, I love our movies, I might moan but never bemoan a movie from my proud country. Overall great topic Wolfie hun even if I went slightly off topic lol

wink

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-07-17 15:01:49)

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

You have to be kidding me! Lol I cannot, CANNOT do 4 movies that I like or hate. Because british horror is a special place in heart for me. I think many of our movies are underrated and looked past because the central of movies is atypically Hollywood.

I love Dog Soldiers, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz (which I considered partially horror), The Descent, Mum & Dad, The Wicker Man (original of course lol), An American Werewolf in London, Wilderness (not great but still fun), 28 Days Later > and it's follow up. Severance, Outpost, The Company of Wolves, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, I am rambling lol but I love my country's movies.

I feel because our nation does not have the budget most other movies do we are forced in ways to use creativity, imagination because we cannot rely on the special effects they do. Characterisation and passion is key and quite often it shows.

I admit sometimes our movies fail and when they do, they do it in spectacular fashion but when we get it right, oh man! Watch out. I do love british, I love our movies, I might moan but never bemoan a movie from my proud country. Overall great topic Wolfie hun even if I went slightly off topic lol

wink

i weren't kidding but i do take your point it is tough pinning it down to four, silly old wolfie getting too big for his boots again,there  are thousands to choose from,sorry BTK it's me in ahurry to get some extra points to make up for the points i'll miss when i'm away on holiday! sorry:/ but come on ghouls and ghoulies have a go,make the ridiculously old furbag happy!!:D AND NO BTK, YOU HAVEN'T UPSET ME OK:) XX

Not silly lol it's a really fantastic thread! I'm just, let's say, passionate about our films. My own preferences mean I would not be able to pin just 4 lol but damn sure they are others on the board who will no doubt have favourites and loathes. Each to their own smile, but like I said I love this thread, it speaks deeply to my heart.

BTK, have you seen Dead Wood?
I have seen it, but curious to see what you thought of it.
Also, it is Irish, but I really liked Isolation.

Yet to see Dead Wood, but it is available so might pick it up, that's had my interest since I saw it first out on DVD. When I do buy it, which I will lol, I'll let you know alien and Isolation, that was def. different, I liked it and it actually had substance to it as well! I think the characters really made that movie too.

smile

^Yeah, I thought that they did a great job with Isolation.:D

Favorite: Peeping Tom(I think it's british hmm )
Least: Mum&Dad
Overrated: Shaun of the Dead
Underrated: 28 weeks later

Favourite: Shaun Of The Dead
Least Favourite: The Desent
over rated:28 Days Later
Under rated: 28 WEEKS LATER

Suspiria, Peeping Tom is indeed British smile

^^ Thank you BTK smile Pepping Tom is one of the most underrated horror movies of all time IMO. Pretty much invented the slasher sub genre.

Favourite: Frankenstein Created Woman
Least Favourite: Shaun of the Dead
Overrated: The Descent
Underrated: Dead Creatures

I too love all that is British. Love the style, the content and the actors. Am so looking forward to Doghouse.
Ok 28 Weeks later and The Descent are not amongst my favourites but that is a matter of taste rather than quality of production etc
Also loved Mutant Chronicles and the movies produced by Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Dead Set was awesome

Favourite: The Wicker Man
Least Favourite: The Descent or Doomsday
Overrated: Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz
Underrated: Witchfinder General

I' m gonna have to go with The Horror of Dracula, because that one started it all for me. Hammer forever.

Yes Wolfman, The Reptile sucks!

The Descent was definately overated.

How can anyone call Hot Fuzz horror?
The mind boggles hmm

my fav british horror film is hellraiser,,(Iim surprised no-one has said that film)
the worst british horror film is 28 days, (what a heap of crap that film is)

<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

The mind boggles hmm

Hot Fuzz is in with my Horror collection wink
Day Of The Triffids
Shaun Of ThE Dead
Evil Aliens
are my top faves

Favorite:  Evil Aliens
Least Favorite: Inseminoid
Overrated: The Descent
Underrated:  The Cottage

thedeadshallrule wrote:
<INSERT MACHO NAME HERE> wrote:

The mind boggles hmm

Hot Fuzz is in with my Horror collection wink
Day Of The Triffids
Shaun Of ThE Dead
Evil Aliens
are my top faves

Does that mean if I put Cannibal Holocaust in my comedy collection it's a comedy?
Or Bambi becomes Sci Fi if I file it in my Sci Fi collection?
lol:lol:

Bambi is totally a sci-fi film!  I mean talking deer, skunks, and rabbits?  Only in science fiction my friend!

I don't actually remember watching a bad british horror movie. My favorite movie of all time is Shaun of The Dead. But I loved, the Cottage, Severance, Dog Soldiers, 28 Days/Weeks later, The Descent, etc. All awesome.

jmh314 wrote:

Bambi is totally a sci-fi film!  I mean talking deer, skunks, and rabbits?  Only in science fiction my friend!

suppose you could call it bio fi big_smile big_smile

28 days/ weeks later is bloody crap, the worst british horror film ever made,, its worse than land of death which is a poor remake of cannibal holocaust,, it sucks

Last edited by Snuff Hunter (2009-07-21 15:29:49)