Topic: What are your favorite non-horror genres?

We here, at hm.ca, are obviously obsessed with horror films and all of their gory goodness.  But, here's a question, what other genres do you like?

Other than horror, I love 80's sex comedies, any non-horror grindhouse films, Tarantino's stuff, Kevin Smith's stuff, and some of John Hugh's films.

How about you fine folks?

Re: What are your favorite non-horror genres?

i like historical dramas like Munich and Kingdom of Heaven and any Will Ferrell comedy

Sci Fi and Wpams

I like John Hugh's films. I also like low budget independent films. a few I've seen lately are "Sheri Baby" and "Brick" which were both great.

British comedy, I am a HUGE Monty Python fan:)

Comedy, Action, and Anime. Especially love everything by Monty Python, Including all the movies and T.V. shows. I have the entire collection of Monty Python's Flying Circus.  I am definitely a huge Martial Arts, or Kung-Fu, film fanatic. Especially all of Bruce Lee movies. And also huge into independent films. Oh and by the way, a huge fan of animation movies and T.V. shows. Seriously addicted to South Park. Own and seen every single episode made. I even been recording every episode since aired and been transfering them all onto DVD. So i'm on my 14th tape and have 13 DVD's.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-04-09 15:26:57)

I also like some old Kung-Fu movies.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I also like some old Kung-Fu movies.

I guess you've already seen Kung-Fu Hustle, right?

I also like comedy, sci-fi, action, "historic"/fiction/action movies (Braveheart, Troy, 300, etc..).

Actually, I didn't like "Kung-Fu Hustle".  I just didn't find it funny.  Although, "Kung Pow", is one funny ass movie.  Even if it is a spoof.

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2007-04-08 22:18:48)

thedeadshallrule wrote:

Do you like spam?

Kung-Fu Hustle is funny as hell. I think it's funnier than Kung Pow but did love Kung Pow. Anyways, if you like Kung-Fu comedies like Kung Pow and Kung-Fu Hustle, here's a couple of old ones you should check out:

The Last Dragon- One-name kung fu wonder Taimak plays Leroy Green, a.k.a. Bruce Leroy, a humble student of kung fu who has achieved the highest level of skill, but hasn't yet found his inner master. Wandering through the streets of New York in a Chinese peasant outfit, he accidentally becomes the protector of nightclub hostess/video jockey Laura Charles (played by former Prince protégé Vanity, who also costarred in the trash classic Action Jackson). She's being threatened by a height-challenged mobster who wants her to play his girlfriend's video (the girlfriend is something of a Cyndi Lauper look-alike, played by Broadway star Faith Prince). Meanwhile, a man who calls himself Sho'Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem, wants to kick Leroy's ass and prove himself the baddest kung fu master in town. Add to this Leroy's smart-mouthed brother Richie (who calls Leroy "the chocolate-covered yellow peril"), a dregs-of-Motown soundtrack (DeBarge is a high point), ninja battles, pseudo-Eastern philosophical babble, and a jaw-dropping club performance by Vanity, and you have a hilarious example of why we're all so very glad the '80s are over. This movie is funny as shit and a must own for all Kung-Fu fans.

Six-String Samurai- A mysterious and powerful hero of the classic kind, Buddy, who looks exactly like Buddy Holly, is as skilled with his guitar as he is with his samurai sword. Thrown together with a kid whom he saves in a spectacular battle, the two of them must now escape their enemies and reach "Lost Vegas," the rock 'n' roll capital of this future world. With 'Death' keep on trying to find him and kill him and the final battle sequence they fight each other to the death. Note* 'Death' looks exactly like Slash from Guns N' Roses. Another must own for all Kung-Fu movies fans.

The Epitome of Fear wrote:
thedeadshallrule wrote:

Do you like spam?

ROFL spam spam spam
I'd like to return this parrot, its dead
no its not...

Russ Meyer fliks!!!

Hey thedeadshallrule, you like Red Dwarf?  Best British Comedy that I have seen along with Keeping Up Appearances.  Not a huge Monty Python fan myself, but the Holy Grail was funny. 
Anyways, i like some comedies, Sci-fi, not much action, and some cartoons like The Simpsons and South Park.  Other than that, I love my horror.  Nothing beats it.

haven't seen Red Dwarf, The Young Ones you just gotta check out.

I like a little of everything..Comedy like Super Troopers, Jawbreaker, and such..Drama KIDS, BULLY, World Trade Center..I also like movies about famous peoples lifes like for example Walk the Line, Sweet Dreams (Patsy Klein), La Bamba, Ray and kinds..

I love comedies and action/drama films.

science-fiction and fantasy,  jungle adventure, biker epics, spaghetti westerns, some comedies.

Oh yeah, forgot the old Film Noir and it's modern day equivalents.  I guess I like almost anything about cultures other than The Mainstream-homeless, dopers, gypsies etc.

My only special genre dedication is horror, but outside of that, I tend to watch mostly 80's & 90's comedies, educational documentaries, Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith films, the occasion action/drama classic, stuff like that.

My favorite non-horror films are: Natural Born Killers, Woodstock: The Movie, The Great Escape, The Odd Couple,  Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke, Tarantino films: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, etc., Clerks 1 & 2, Chasing Amy, Jim Carrey films: Liar Liar, Dumb & Dumber, Me, Myself & Irene, Ace Ventura, etc., The Blues Brothers, Cast Away, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Good Fellas, The Untouchables, JC's Big Trouble in Little China, Fight Club, Full Metal Jacket, Dazed & Confused, Friday.

Last edited by The Creature (2014-03-02 06:51:54)

I like a lot of the 70's 80's and 90's drama/comedies, and I love watching documentaries, but I'd say 95% of everything I watch is horror.

Honestly, I often myself too pre-occupied with horror to have the time to expand into other genres of film (though I am familiar with at least the bare-bones basic classics of most genres).

Sci-Fi man, freaking Sci-Fi, I like it even more than Horror so I'm about at LoudLon's Horror level of knowledge as far as these go. lol

Seen litteraly billions of them.

Recently I have been watching a lot of non-horror (My last 4 viewings). Outside of the horror I would say documentaries on politics/social issues/current affairs most interest me.

kXnPunk wrote:

Seen litteraly billions of them.

Waaaaaat.