Re: Martyrs - 2008

everyone has their own tastes.. the GREAT part of this site and this forum is once you find people who share your tastes... you can find movies to watch. i watched Martyrs based off mavens reviews since we share the same tastes. Seems Dead and I also share similar tastes so now I know to watch deads reviews as well.

Oh god yes Maven, I couldn't buy this movie, its too raw for me. The violence with the undertone of religious "want"....as in finding out what's beyond is a very poignant Horror//exploited. *shivers

I dug it.

Very well said, Dead.  When I first saw this movie a while back it was at the bidding of a friend who was curious to see my take as a female.  At the time I thought "I'm sure it won't be that bad."  Heh, I was WRONG.  I was breathless for quite a while after I was done and it took me a couple of days to be able to write about everything that was going on under the surface.  The religious aspect is extremely compelling and I'm not even religious. LOL  But it forces you to think about what religion is based on and why those things are acceptable in that context (an entire religion is based on martyrdom and torture that was received as a result) but if you remove the religion, and look at it under a scope of science, it's like a gut punch.  (I think I said that right) lol

And you are right about that, Meh.  She is "teh Awesome."  We bounce movies off each other a lot.

Edit to add:  Yay, Tim!!!  smile

Last edited by moviemaven (2009-05-14 16:47:39)

moviemaven wrote:

She is "teh Awesome."  We bounce movies off each other a lot.

What.....do you and Daph play dvd badmitton  with ya'lls boobs back n forth lol.........can I watch?:P:lol:

Ya know...I almost made a statement about how you were not to take that sexually.  I knew better.  Don't know why I didn't listen to myself.  LOL

I liked Martyrs alot , the story was friggin sweet ! I could have done without the all nasty gook feedings though lol  all I want to know is what Anna said ..................

moviemaven wrote:

Ya know...I almost made a statement about how you were not to take that sexually.  I knew better.  Don't know why I didn't listen to myself.  LOL

gut punch that's it!!! *throws a fast one at RIP WAHHHHH big_smile

eDogg2012 wrote:

I liked Martyrs alot , the story was friggin sweet ! I could have done without the all nasty gook feedings though lol  all I want to know is what Anna said ..................

Ahhh but don't we all.  LOL 
I'm with ya on the feedings too.  Blecch.  yikes

So this is what happens when I step away for a moment?  I didn't say it was a bad movie.  I actually think the movie was good and did what it set out to do.  It just isn't really my type of movie.  I'm not big on the "group" aspect of it.  I really liked it until it became so spread out.  I like my movies to be a little more intimate.  Does that make sense?  I also found the last 20 minutes before the nice ending to be a little over done.  I realize it was another part that was "necessary" to prove their point of how bad it has to be even to us, but it became a little tired for me.  AGAIN...I completey understand why they did it that way.   

For the record, "Frontiers" IS more my type of movie.  "Inside" had that one scene that I'm a bit of a stickler for that bothered me or else I would've liked it more, too.  If you'd like I'll send you a copy of my review Maven...for all 3.;)  Either way, I still think we are both on the same page as far as horror movies go.  At least as much as two horror fans can be.  At least I'm not saying "Black Devil Doll" is the best movie I've seen all year.  Just kidding, Goon.  It was a fun movie.

Last edited by the5thdroog (2009-05-14 23:52:40)

eDogg2012 wrote:

She probably said....."go ahead and kill yourself so we can be done with this movie".....lol, sorry Maven lol.:P:lol:

^ lmfao good one

the5thdroog wrote:

So this is what happens when I step away for a moment?  I didn't say it was a bad movie.  I actually think the movie was good and did what it set out to do.  It just isn't really my type of movie.  I'm not big on the "group" aspect of it.  I really liked it until it became so spread out.  I like my movies to be a little more intimate.  Does that make sense?  I also found the last 20 minutes before the nice ending to be a little over done.  I realize it was another part that was "necessary" to prove their point of how bad it has to be even to us, but it became a little tired for me.  AGAIN...I completey understand why they did it that way.   

For the record, "Frontiers" IS more my type of movie.  "Inside" had that one scene that I'm a bit of a stickler for that bothered me or else I would've liked it more, too.  If you'd like I'll send you a copy of my review Maven...for all 3.;)  Either way, I still think we are both on the same page as far as horror movies go.  At least as much as two horror fans can be.  At least I'm not saying "Black Devil Doll" is the best movie I've seen all year.  Just kidding, Goon.  It was a fun movie.

Goodness.  LOL  Ask and you shall receive.  When I said we should talk about it I didn't mean in a principal's office kind of way.  You're not in trouble.  tongue
And you will always be one whose opinions I feel are close to my own.  So we're good. LOL 

And yes, that is a good one, RIP.  Ass.  lol  Kidding.

RIP wrote:

Martyrs had a elements of the awful 90's flick called The Cell in it starring Jennifer Lopez and Eli Roth's crappy Hostel in it. I mean Martyrs was much better than those 2 films mind ya but it still just didn't do it for me.

I have not seen martyrs yet, but this comment made me really want to see it, since I love both of those movies lol. Think I'll just watch it online right now.

I really like this movie!! Have shown a couple friends it and they loved it. The story is driving force in the movie and i think the gore was done in good taste.

Martyrs....

pascal is a master..

fuck the critics
their word doesn't mean sh1t

Well I watched this a second time last night and I guess I'm a bit numb now as it didn't seem to bother me as much. My friend cringed the entire time though and after it was over she thought it was one of the best movies she's seen even if the "beatings" did start to get to her after a while. It really isn't so much about the gore like you guys have said but I thought the whole concept and story involving martyrdom was truly unique and original. I also thought from the start I never really knew where it was headed and I liked the ending. I would still put this at the top of my all time faves.

Having finally watched it this weekend, and I am planning to watch it a second time, I can finally comment.  I thought that Martyrs was an excelent film, it was well worth the wait.  Even having read just about every thing that has been written about the film on the site, it was entirely different from what I expected going in, and that is a good thing.  Yeah the conventions of your typical horror movie where there, but just when you thought you know what was going to happen next, the film goes in an entirely different direction.  As far as gore goes, I thought that Inside was worse.  As for the brutality and violence, while I cringed at a couple of the scenes, it was not so noticeable because it all fit into the context of the story.

I have some questions about the motives.  Just what is it about martyrs that makes them different from anyone else that experiences near death?  I could somewhat understand if the martyrdom was voluntary....maybe.  However, in this case it was entirely involuntary.  I don't see how these scientists could gain any insight whatsoever into what may lie on the other side by employing torture as a method.  I just didn't get it. 

I loved the brutality on display in the first half.  Simple brutal vengeance.  Quick and dirty.  I admired the ambiguity.  I was glued to my seat wondering if Lucie was just crazy and killing random people or if she was correct.  But after the basement discovery, the movie began to lose me.  And after Anna's capture and her subsequent, mind numbing (and not in a good way, as I simply got bored) repetitive torture (all the while questioning why she didn't try to choke one of her captors with the chain) I began to tune out.  And by the end, I no longer cared for the most part.  The movie did make me think, which usually is good, but in this case I was just left puzzled.

^I would suggest watching it again, even if you have to fast forward through the brutal parts.  Martyrdom is achieved through suffering, not simply coming close to death.  But you cannot guarantee that person will become a martyr by making them endure suffering, as the Mademoiselle explained to Anna.  They either became victims, like Lucie, or they became a martyr.  And it was the group's intent to create a martyr so that they could comminicate with her before she died to find out what was on the other side.

As for ambiguity and making one think, the Mademoiselle was able to comminicate with Anna after she reached martyrdom, now think about the last words that the Mademoiselle said before shooting herself.  She asks Etienne through the bathroom door if he stills wonders what is on the other side.  After he responds, she says, "Keep quessing."  I think from that, one can go different ways depending on how you would like to interpret it.

Maven, I've loved reading your comments on this thread.  As a woman, I think the mindset is probably very different, as in the mother/daughter/sister relationship between Anna and Lucie.  As a recovering Catholic, the whole religious thing was fascinating to me.  They wanted the knowledge, but by inflicting rather than experiencing.  That's a selfish bitch-ass cheat in my opinion.  You want to know what it feels like, then feel it.

I found this movie extremely moving, it took me through such a range of mind-sets (I won't say emotion, because that's a chick thing to say, and I don't want this to be a guy/girl debate) that I want to show it to a few people, yet I hesitate.  Why?  Because I kind of don't want to be responsible for someone else being totally fucked up by it (kind of like The Ring smile).  This movie is in my Top 5, most definitely.  Mostly because upon each viewing, it hits another level.  There was shock and revulsion, then a deeper horror that developed into a kind of quiet dread followed by anger, grief, and finally a despondent semi-understanding.  Pretty fucked up, but one hell of a gobstopper, to say the least, and one that I'll never tire of.

Okay, I didn't word my question well.  What I was asking was why would a victim be any different then a martyr...they both suffered in the same way.  Why would the antagonists believe that a martyr would have any more insights into death then a victim? 

And I absolutely love that the movie ends as it does.  We're not spoon fed the answers, as we would with a Hollywood production.  I'm glad we're left to wonder for ourselves in the end.  That it's not dumbed down for the viewer.  I'm just concerned that I'm not smart enough to figure out this movie.

The efficient brutality of the first half was beautiful to behold, and while I understand what the director was aiming for in the second half I just found myself bored with the repitition is all.

Thanks alien for helping me find the words.  I really appreciate it.

Edited to add:  I missed it, I guess....the Greek meaning of the word Martyr.  Things are a bit more clear to me now.  Ok, a lot more clear.

Last edited by sMart (2009-07-20 15:35:45)

^Hey, no problem sMart.  The difference as I undrstand it is that the martyr acheives, or is granted, a state where they are no longer cognizant of their body and their suffering, they in effect have crossed over to the other side.  Hence the distant stare.  A victim on the other hand, has not crossed over, remaining very human and left to deal with the torment caused by their suffering.  So a victim could offer little more insight into life after death than you or I, probably less given their mental state.  Where someone who is in that in between state, if they could communicate, could at least share what they are experiencing.

I like the clarification sMart, and btw, LOVE your name.

To me, I think that a victim is one who not only has no control over what is being done to them, but also has no control over where their feelings take them, no understanding, no peace, only pain.  A martyr also has no control over what is being done to them, but they have a bit of control (however slight at the beginning) of how to feel about it, and perhaps not necessarily understand, but to accept it.  With that comes peace, bringing them closer to their god.

In Martyrs, Anna had the benefit of being instructed by Mademoiselle, and as time passed, perhaps she had the time to process what she'd learned, and come to the finality that this was her fate.  She accepted, and surrendered.

I liked Martyrs, it had boobs in it and a lezzie kiss. smile

And it's the best French horror movie EVER. It makes comedies like "Inside" look very weak in comparison.

Also to the poster who mentioned "Calvaire" - yes, it is Belgian and it's an arty-farty religious allegory. It isn't a horror film per se or what you think it is at all. It had me fooled too until I realised that the title wasn't anything to do with horses. smile