Topic: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

I am hoping to garner a great reading list through this post. For me, Stephen King's "Pet Semetary" gave me nightmares for weeks when I was in grade six.

Re: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

The scariest book that I have read would be Stephen King's 'It'.  Gave me chills the whole time that I was reading it.

It is has some creepy moments but it's the disturbing nature of this book that always got me and that is always going to be Richard Laymon's The Beast House Trilogy. This guy had no problem getting to the punch and just being upfront. His monster was disturbing, some of the characters were not all that nice, others nicer and the situations can be desperate. He creates a real tension in his stories that never fails to surprise me.

Another I love is Stephen King's Misery. That was a wonderful little read, that kept me captivated from start to end.

This is not horror but more thriller but damn it deserves a mention. I'm currently reading a book by Dean Koontz called The Husband and almost finished, it's about kidnap, twists and shocks. Why does this deserve a mention? It focusses on very real aspects on our own lives, throughout the entire book so far I feel this could be something that happens to me and that is an unappeasing thought. How he manages to create such unique characters is to his credit and I absolutely think this is a disturbing but fantastic!! read. smile

for me it's a french book it's called "les sept jours du talion." and it's the only book i ever had to actually put down because i couldn't take it anymore

Oh I had to add another! lol It's not completely scary, a lil disturbing but not a lot but still:

The Bone Collector.

I spent ages trying to find this book and I instantly fell in love with it. smile A riveting read imo.

Not the scariest but the most disturbing book I ever read was "The 120 Days of Sodom and Other Writings" by the Marquis De Sade. All that stuff about deflowering virgins with shit-stuffing was something that I'll never get out of my mind.

The scariest book is something I would have to think about some more. Probably any of the true ghost stories ones rather than fiction though.

I am not into books so i could not comment

DrBlood wrote:

Not the scariest but the most disturbing book I ever read was "The 120 Days of Sodom and Other Writings" by the Marquis De Sade. All that stuff about deflowering virgins with shit-stuffing was something that I'll never get out of my mind.

The scariest book is something I would have to think about some more. Probably any of the true ghost stories ones rather than fiction though.

that book was just sick

ragXdoll wrote:

that book was just sick

Yeah, I think that was the point. lol

DrBlood wrote:
ragXdoll wrote:

that book was just sick

Yeah, I think that was the point. lol

but still i didn't expect it to be that bad.

Well didn't you get a shock then lol:lol:

sure did my 13 year old self never gotten over it lol

The book which scared me most when I originally read it was Carrie.  I hated school and most of the people there so when I read that, I freaked myself out because I was convinced I was going to develop telekinetic powers and kill them all, and I didn't feel as bad about the idea as I should have.  lol

As for disturbing books, I don't really go out my way to read them.  True crime stories like The Perfect Victim (about a girl who was kidnapped and kept in a box for years) or books about serial killers are as disturbing as I would normally read.

The book that got me was Stephen King's Salems Lot, that book completely sucked me in.:)

Brian Keene's The Rising and City Of The Dead

alien25 wrote:

The scariest book that I have read would be Stephen King's 'It'.  Gave me chills the whole time that I was reading it.

I was gonna say the same.  I read the whole thing in 24 hours during CQ duty when I was in the Army.

Id have to say It .. and I have read some of Marquis De sade .. very disturbing..

but once i read a short story and I can't remember the name- but it involved a man going  into a bathroom stall and finding a live baby in a toilet.  he is shocked and tries to rescue the baby only to find it isnt a baby - it has teeth and suckers on it's extra tentacle arms..  and soon finds the baby is everywhere he goes to ....Very ' H.P. Lovecraft'.   and creepy as hell !!

Anything by Bentley Little is definitely disturbing and effed up. Not sure that its necessarily scary but it has its moments of graphic violence and sex that I can't believe I managed to read.

oh and Amercian Psycho

Stephen King's "IT" No doubt about it.. I thank that movie for my clownaphobia..

MistressOf Horror - the story was Eumenadies in the 4th floor lavoratory.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

oh and Amercian Psycho

Yes American Psycho is the most disgusting thing i've ever read. I actually found myself gaging in parts! lol

The rat part was just unpleasant. I'm glad that didn't make the film!!

most disturbing: American Psycho
had to put it down and walk away a few times.

you should try minnow trap it's a great book because i know some of the locations because it was written by an author that lived around where i lived.

alien25 wrote:

omg i agree lol, that was his best and scariest book in my opinion big_smile