Topic: Richard Laymon Thread

Firstly I want to say thank you to Kokane for giving me this gorgeous idea and equal thanks to Suspiria, Gabs1515 for giving me the incentive to start this thread smile

For all the nay-sayers, please I do not want negative comments, for once I want this to go well lol

I love Richard Laymon, I miss the man and his books provide hours of entertainment.

From other prospective lovers of his work on the site I want to know from your point of view what made him so unique, why you loved his stories, what stories you loved and wherever he had some effect on your glimpse into the art of Horror via novels.

What made his work such fun to read.

To me he was unabashed. He was in your face, constant and he kept things flowing. Even the character direction was wonderful and you became invested in the characters. Then the gore, the mayhem, everything Laymon induced announces itself.

He was and still is in my top 3 authors and I now want to share this thread with other fans of Laymon's, if you are a fan (or aspiring fan) please feel free to write in this thread, dedicated to the memory of a truly brilliant author. Also if you want to know more on the man this is the site to go to,
http://rlk.cjb.net/. Enjoy everyone.

Thanks y'all, BTK.

Bloody Hugs.

*R.I.P. Laymon, 1947-2001.*

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-08-07 07:31:40)

Re: Richard Laymon Thread

I love all the blood, gore and sex thats in everyone of his books. I've never read a book that he wrote that I didn't like. It's to bad he isn't still alive.

Love Laymon. The Traveling Vampire Show, In The Dark, and his anthology A Good, Secret Place are a few of my favorites - I've been wanting to check out his The Beast House Chronicles but haven't come around to them yet.
Laymon's prose is straight forward which really helps getting you involved in the characters who always seem believable and it always offer a protagonist you can easily identify with.
His books are more often than not the literary equivalent of a slasher film too, just a little more high-minded, which you've gotta love LOL.
They are always easy to follow and leave you with an impression after reading them.
Every horror fan deserves to check him out.
(I'm surprised we haven't seen any cinematic attempts at ruining his work yet LOL)

I just finished Friday Night in the Beast House. I haven't read one of his books for about 10 years cause i kinda stopped reading novels but this one just brought back why i loved his stuff in the 1st place. The way he wrote was very unique & still as perverted as any of his other books, a worthy edition to the Beast House stuff. I already own at least half of his books but will be working my way through the ones i missed. Richard Laymon phase part 2.:)

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

I just finished Friday Night in the Beast House. I haven't read one of his books for about 10 years cause i kinda stopped reading novels but this one just brought back why i loved his stuff in the 1st place. The way he wrote was very unique & still as perverted as any of his other books, a worthy edition to the Beast House stuff. I already own at least half of his books but will be working my way through the ones i missed. Richard Laymon phase part 2.:)

I also loved the Beast House books! I just finished 'Funland' which is pretty damn good! 'Glory Bus' and the one about the man who makes zombies? I forget the name but that was good.

Baby_Firefly wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

I also loved the Beast House books! I just finished 'Funland' which is pretty damn good! 'Glory Bus' and the one about the man who makes zombies? I forget the name but that was good.

Funland was a great book not sure if i've read the zombie one, maybe Flesh or One Rainy Night?

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
Baby_Firefly wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:

Funland was a great book not sure if i've read the zombie one, maybe Flesh or One Rainy Night?

Actually it's called 'Ressurected Dreams', I just went through my book shelf and found it.

i am posting here only because i am trying to take the top 10 lol

Yeah, Laymon was a great writer.:) I have him on my shelves as well... just the Beast House books, though. I need to check out more of his writing, methinks!
He has a special place next to Campbell, Lovecraft, and Koontz.:)

Baby_Firefly wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
Baby_Firefly wrote:

Actually it's called 'Ressurected Dreams', I just went through my book shelf and found it.

I have that, forgot what it was about though. Flesh was the first book of his i read & i was hooked.

What is resurected dreams about?
Did anyone read the Cellar? Did you like it?

thedeadshallrule wrote:

What is resurected dreams about?

I'm a little rusty since I haven't read it in years but I think it's about an unliked loser who creates a way of killing people and bringing them back as zombie slaves who love him. He plans to do it to a woman who he's obssessed with but his practice zombie woman gets a little out of hand tongue.

It's a good read.

But Cellar and Flesh I haven't read! I should look them up.

thedeadshallrule wrote:

The Cellar is a great book, i loved it. I actually read it after The Beast House cause i didn't realise it was about the same subject & came first.

I comes up as an invalid link in the origional post. I was going to check him out since I never heard of him.

I didn't even know he was dead. I read about half a dozen of his books back in the 90s. I can't remember any of the titles now but I do know that the endings were quite mean-spirited and it put me off reading any more. Not that there's anything wrong with mean-spirited endings but it just wasn't for me.

Stephen King started aping the same style from Bag of Bones onwards and that finished me with him too.

Edit: I just remembered one of them was Funland. I Googled "bums" and Richard Laymon to find it. smile I enjoyed most of that one.

Last edited by DrBlood (2009-07-13 18:23:04)

ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
thedeadshallrule wrote:

The Cellar is a great book, i loved it. I actually read it after The Beast House cause i didn't realise it was about the same subject & came first.

Yep The Cellar is the first in The Beast House Trilogy, one of the sickest, insanest and most enjoyable reads I've had the pleasure of owning. What really worked in this instance though was I actually coerced with the characters, I understood them and on some level cared for them.

I highly recommend reading The Cellar and then the other two in the Trilogy, trust me, it's F'K'N insane but such an enjoyable and intense read, you will not be able to put it down smile

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:
ZOMBIE SLASHER wrote:
thedeadshallrule wrote:

Yep The Cellar is the first in The Beast House Trilogy, one of the sickest, insanest and most enjoyable reads I've had the pleasure of owning. What really worked in this instance though was I actually coerced with the characters, I understood them and on some level cared for them.

I highly recommend reading The Cellar and then the other two in the Trilogy, trust me, it's F'K'N insane but such an enjoyable and intense read, you will not be able to put it down smile

I wholeheartedly agree.:)

Thanks BTK, I just came back from the library and couldn't find any of his books...two were out of circ for book binding repairs sad

DrBlood wrote:

I didn't even know he was dead. I read about half a dozen of his books back in the 90s. I can't remember any of the titles now but I do know that the endings were quite mean-spirited and it put me off reading any more. Not that there's anything wrong with mean-spirited endings but it just wasn't for me.

Stephen King started aping the same style from Bag of Bones onwards and that finished me with him too.

Edit: I just remembered one of them was Funland. I Googled "bums" and Richard Laymon to find it. smile I enjoyed most of that one.

Lol I love the mean spirited endings tongue, i'm a bit of a sadist that way.

Baby_Firefly wrote:
DrBlood wrote:

Lol I love the mean spirited endings tongue, i'm a bit of a sadist that way.

Oh I'm exactly the same Baby smile I'm not a fan of nice endings where everything works out, I love that twisted awful ending it gives me a kind of satisfaction that someone is willing to be different. Probably why I love Laymon, he really just pushes every button and doesn't sugarcoat it, his endings are mean spirited but damn what a way to end a book! big_smile

thedeadshallrule wrote:

Thanks BTK, I just came back from the library and couldn't find any of his books...two were out of circ for book binding repairs sad

That sucks sad but hope you get a hold of the books soon Daph hun, mwah & *hugs**! Re: if you ever want the books, I have all 3 in separate format too which I am looking to get rid of and I would not mind sending them to a friend who wants them. PM me if you are interested. smile

Just a note: ^^ 1. I am not kidding and 2. I do not expect anyone to pay. Everything I do is out of the kindness of my bloody heart big_smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-07-31 05:24:17)

Why would anyone trash you for this thread?  Good writer.  Not like you were going to nominate Ed Gein to the Parent-Teachers Association or anything.  Or are you?  (I need an evil looking smiley here)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2348/29140601.gif

-- you mean like this one Azay? wink

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-08-07 07:42:15)

Reading Dark Mountain, so far the set up is interesting.

Laymon's stuff is awesome, I've only read The Stake and Bite and a few short pieces but I loved every page of what I have read. I've got a huge stack of his stuff I still need to read, I'm gonna dig into another Laymon book as soon as I have time for a novel.