Topic: 32 confirmed dead in Virginia tech shooting

http://wwl.com/pages/356646.php?content … tId=413848

Government officials now say at least 30 people -- in addition to the gunman -- have been killed today at Virginia Tech University, making it the deadliest mass shooting in U-S history.

It's not clear if the gunman killed himself or if he was killed by police.

The previous deadliest mass shooting happened in 1991 in Killeen, Texas, where George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

Witnesses at the school say they saw students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to avoid gunfire.

The first shooting happened in a dorm on one side of campus, and was followed at least two hours later by the shootings in the classroom building, which is on the other side.

Some students say they thought precautions on campus had been lifted after the first shooting.

http://images.radcity.net/5346/1890664.jpg

http://images.radcity.net/5346/1890665.jpg

Re: 32 confirmed dead in Virginia tech shooting

Sad news.. Give it a week and the media will start blaming movies/music or whatever else they find in the possession of that sick guy..

sad news. my prayers go to the victims and families.

Thats real sad. Too many fuckin sickos on this planet

Man its been confirmed 33 dead now with the victim, with this monster dead you probably won't get many answers and today is close to the day of the Columbine shooting and from what I read the 2nd shooting had atleast 20 people died.

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-04-16 16:22:11)

What is this world coming to?  I have been praying all day for the victims and their families.  May God bless them all.

The Epitome of Fear wrote:

What is this world coming to?  I have been praying all day for the victims and their families.  May God bless them all.

Yeah it is very sad and tragic but a lot of this could have been avoided in my oppinion a lot of the security was not very prepared.

I don't want to place blame on anyone now but I feel bad for all those families.

I have been watching CNN and there was a student there that filmed the first shooting with his cell phone there were at least 27 shots fired between the cops and the gunman who has been identified as a young asian male in his late teens early 20s.

One girl student that was playing dead in the second shooting said he walked in the class a couple times just poking his head in looking around and the 3rd time he came in he just unloaded on the entire class.

I can't beleive this was 2 hours after the first shooting, someone wasn't prepared and it looks like it was the Virginia police department, I don't think there should have been a total lockdown of the campus but I do think classes should have been canceled and everyone should have been brought to a safe place.

Before this is over with I am sure there is going to be a lot of finger pointing.  The media will exploit the hell out of this tragedy.

There was a special mass today for those people.  I am just baffled at some of the things that happen in this country.  It is really disgusting.  But I agree with you guys, knowing the media for what they are, there are going to be a ton of finger pointing.  Sad that it can be expected.  My prayers go out to the families and victims of that tragic event.

I was listening to this all day, such a fucked up world....and isn't this close to the anniversary of the Columbine Shooting?

what a sad day just hope the familes can deal with the deaths.

DeathbyHighKick wrote:

I was listening to this all day, such a fucked up world....and isn't this close to the anniversary of the Columbine Shooting?

Yes it was April 20th the columbine shootings I remeber it all to well only because I was senior in high school when they turned the tv on and showed it to us..this is a sad sad thing and my heart and prayers go out to the family of the victims lost in this..

Names of Victims

Gunman identified

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead, the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, was identified Tuesday as a senior English major from        South Korea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ballistics tests show one gun was used in two attacks on the campus Monday morning — at a dormitory were two people were killed and in a classroom building where 31 people, including the gunman, died locked inside, Virginia State Police said.

Police identified the classroom shooter as 23-year-old Cho Seung-Hui (pronounced Choh Suhng-whee) of South Korea. There was no indication Tuesday of a possible motive for the attacks.

"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.

Cho was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va., but living on campus in Harper Residence Hall, the university said.

Two law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of because the information had not been announced, said Cho's fingerprints were found on the guns used in both shootings. The serial numbers on the two weapons had been filed off, the officials said.

One law enforcement official said Cho's backpack contained a receipt for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol.

Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of the Virginia State Police, said it was reasonable to assume that Cho was the shooter in both attacks but that the link was not yet definitive.

"There's no evidence of any accomplice at either event, but we're exploring the possibility," he said.

A memorial service was planned for the victims Tuesday afternoon at the university, and        President Bush planned to attend, the White House said. Gov. Tim Kaine was flying back to Virginia from Tokyo for the 2 p.m. convocation.

South Korea's Foreign Ministry also expressed its condolences, saying there was no known motive for the shootings and that South Korea hoped that the tragedy would not "stir up racial prejudice or confrontation."

"We are in shock beyond description," said Cho Byung-se, a ministry official handling North American affairs. "We convey deep condolences to victims, families and the American people."

The first deadly attack was at the dormitory around 7:15 a.m., but some students said they didn't get their first warning about a danger on campus until two hours later, in an e-mail at 9:26 a.m. By then the second attack had begun.

Two students told NBC's "Today" show they were unaware of the dorm shooting when they walked into Norris Hall for a German class where the gunman later opened fire.

The victims in Norris Hall were found in four different classrooms and a stairwell, Flaherty said. Cho was found dead in one of those classrooms, he said.

Derek O'Dell, his arm in a cast after being shot, described a shooter who fired away in "eerily silence" with "no specific target — just taking out anybody he could."

After the gunman left the room, students could hear him shooting other people down the hall. O'Dell said he and other students barricaded the door so the shooter couldn't get back in — though he later tried.

"After he couldn't get the door open he tried shooting it open ... but the gunshots were blunted by the door," O'Dell said.

A federal law enforcement official said Tuesday he had been told by other federal law enforcement officials that the two guns recovered in the shooting had had their serial numbers scraped off. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced.

The slayings left people of this mountain town and the university at its heart praying for the victims and struggling to find order in a tragedy of such unspeakable horror it defies reason.

"For Ryan and Emily and for those whose names we do not know," one woman pleaded in a church service Monday night.

Another mourner added: "For parents near and far who wonder at a time like this, 'Is my child safe?'"

That question promises to haunt Blacksburg long after Monday's attacks. Investigators offered no motive, and the gunman's name was not immediately released.

The shooting began about 7:15 a.m. on the fourth floor of West Ambler Johnston, a high-rise coed dormitory where two people died.

Police were still investigating around 9:15 a.m., when a gunman wielding two handguns and carrying multiple clips of ammunition stormed Norris Hall, a classroom building a half-mile away on the other side of the 2,600-acre campus.

At least 20 people were taken to hospitals after the second attack, some seriously injured. Many found themselves trapped after someone, apparently the shooter, chained and locked Norris Hall doors from the inside.

Students jumped from windows, and students and faculty carried away some of the wounded without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. A student used his cell-phone camera to record the sound of bullets echoing through a stone building.

Inside Norris, the attack began with a thunderous sound from Room 206 — "what sounded like an enormous hammer," said Alec Calhoun, a 20-year-old junior who was in a solid mechanics lecture in a classroom next door.

more

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_ … h_shooting

We may never know what set off the gunman, and that's a terrible thing. Why do people do these things, I have been in that situation, a man opened fire on my school when I was in 7th grade with an AK-47, we were all on the playground and I saw friends get hit. You really never get over it. The police shot him dead but until then he didn't even have a criminal record. The one to blame is the one with the gun in his hand, not the police, or the school, or music, or movies. It's him and him alone that decided that this would be his final action. My thought and prayers go out to all who were involved and their families.

Hard2Kill wrote:

We may never know what set off the gunman, and that's a terrible thing. Why do people do these things, I have been in that situation, a man opened fire on my school when I was in 7th grade with an AK-47, we were all on the playground and I saw friends get hit. You really never get over it. The police shot him dead but until then he didn't even have a criminal record. The one to blame is the one with the gun in his hand, not the police, or the school, or music, or movies. It's him and him alone that decided that this would be his final action. My thought and prayers go out to all who were involved and their families.

Sorry you had to experiance that it seems this kind of stuff is happening more and more although I still beleive the schools are one of the safest places to be its just sad crazies like this sometimes tarnish that.

Don't forget about the guns, you can legally have a gun with the right paperwork almost anywhere in Virginia but it is not allowed on the campus maybe if that was different some of those young adults could have defended themselves I not saying it will solve anything but I don't think 33 would have died if some of those killed were armed.

Apparently ABC news posted he left a note in his dorm room after the first two were killed in that dorm and before he went to the engineering building.  No word from police on what was in the note.  They also found peices of the chain he used to bar two doors in the engineering building. 

Talk about finger pointing.  ABC news was posting about being able to buy large clips for guns off the internet.  This was before anyone had any information on what had really happened.  Yes, now the debate on selling guns, owning guns, and school safety will be the topic of the month.

wow hard2kill thats crazy where did this take place if you don't mind me asking? now there is that question our we save anywhere? work? home? school? college now? this just blows my mind as too what our world is coming too?

I heard on the news today that anything can make a person snap from bullying to girlfriends, boyfriends, homelife all kinds of things but it takes in a long period of time it just keeps building and building to the point were they just snap...

here is his pic from drudgereport

http://www.drudgereport.com/vt.jpg

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Last edited by goldenwarrior (2007-04-17 11:12:33)

skidog wrote:

Apparently ABC news posted he left a note in his dorm room after the first two were killed in that dorm and before he went to the engineering building.  No word from police on what was in the note.  They also found peices of the chain he used to bar two doors in the engineering building. 

Talk about finger pointing.  ABC news was posting about being able to buy large clips for guns off the internet.  This was before anyone had any information on what had really happened.  Yes, now the debate on selling guns, owning guns, and school safety will be the topic of the month.

They have a article here  http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/200704 … d0ae9.html

It doesn't go into much detail but they do say in the note he was complaining about rich kids.

This really makes me think about my own mortality.  We never know what tomorrow holds or if there even will be a tomorrow.  That's why we should live life to it's fullest, never let the sun go down on our anger, and always make sure that the people you love know just how much they mean to you.  It can all be taken away in the blink of an eye.

Cleveland Elementary School, Stockton CA, 1989. I wasn't friends with any of the kids that were killed but I knew a few that were injured and I knew the teacher that was killed.

wow..I'm so sorry you had experience that too..

When I was in grade school we had to be put on lock down because there was a man outside the school with a gun..the reason I don't know I can't remeber because I was only in 5th grade. and we also had a bomb threat in jr high school when I was in 8th grade when that happened..

Last edited by RaVeN71806 (2007-04-17 12:09:30)

When I was 19 a man shot his wife in the cafeteria of the hospital where I worked.  He just walked in, shot her twice in the chest, and dissappeared.  The hospital was on lock down because they were not sure if he had left the hospital or was sill on the grounds.  He was apprehended at the border. The scary thing was he was not suppossed to be in the hospital per a tresspassing warrent.  She died two days later.

Thats my biggest fear is someone walking right into my work place and just taking everyone out...we deal with alot of people and we get that ocassional irrate parent or even child and even though I stand my grounds with them when there like that they still can come back at anytime our building is the only unsecured place in the school district and anyone can come off the street and take anybody out..

Virginia Tech, the families, the victims, the deceased, the hero's, etc......are all in my prayers. 33 lives were taken and even more is that the many more families lost not just loved ones but bothers, sisters, father,s mother,s etc......Very sad day yesterday! May they all rest in peace and are in my prayers!

Guns are the easiest weapons to buy actually. I have bought 3 guns over the pat 4 years without having to wait or even have to have a license. I got all 3 of mine from my cop buddies here in town and I know for a fact that people buy guns from pawn stores and never have to be checked. I know people who own pawn strores and even gun stores and it just depends on who you know and they will sell it to you on the spot.

I have a .357 glock pistol and have 3 clips that hold 14 rounds of bullets in each one and even have the illegal bullets to go with them that can go through a bullet proof vest from a buddy of mine in the army so gun any gun law they come with now still won't make a difference. What is the main thing is the people who do these horrenhous crimes, not the guns or what they see on tv.

These people need to be helped ahead of time. If people look more closely at these individuals early on you can see the warning signs. That's my 2 cente worth on it.