Topic: obscure old film needs identifying

i watched a film years ago and would love to watch it again but only the last wisps of memory about it remain.
all i can remember is that at the end of the film, a scientist/inventor type  manages to succeed in his desire to  imbue a tiny manikin/doll-man/tiny robot with consciousness.
his wife or secretary disovers the abomination and in fright and loathing, instantly crushes it to death.
i have the vague notion it could be a 50s or 60s film, and could even be a twilight zone/alfred hitchcock presents episode.
any ideas anyone?

by the way it is definately not asylum 1972 although the ending is very similar.

Last edited by catweazle (2006-09-02 17:19:12)

Re: obscure old film needs identifying

hmmmm. you got me, somebody here must now?

I think I know the one you mean. At the end does the scientist end up being shrunk into a puppet or whatever they were, and his wife picks it up I think?

If thats it I can't remember the name but it might come to me.

Its not one of the Puppetmaster movies is it?

That would have been my first guess as well.

ahh...  I believe it is an older film too, early '60's I think.  I'm gonna have to hit the books to find it...

i knew you guys would have insights on what the film is. Sharp group here.

We do our best smile

Last edited by TiM the Zombie (2006-09-05 09:01:45)

Well it can't be a Puppetmaster film if its from the early 60s.. I haven't seen many horror films before the 70s.. I'm working my way backwards. I've seen most of the classics from before than but not obscure films.. I really have no idea what film this could be..

I know it isn't Puppetmaster, it just sounds like it. So anything else in my head is now blocked. All I can see when I think about it is Toulon.

I think you're on the right track with the twilight zone/alfred hitchcock presents theory. You could do a search for all the episodes to each show if you felt so inclined.
One question, was it in B&W?

I actually know this one...it's an episode of Monsters.  I forget the exact name, but it has the word mannequin in the title spelled "manniken", or something really close to it.

Give me 5 minutes...

got it!

23. Mannequins of Horror  (edit)
Community Score10.0
Perfect 
First aired: 5/20/1989
A nurse tries to help a patient who obsesses on perfecting his clay mannequins. But little does she know how much of a connection he actually has with them.

the scene in which he cuts into one of them and organs flow out is incredible.  i have this series on dvd, though they're from old vhs tapes, so you can guess the quality.

i'd gladly buy it if anyone ever bothered to put it in stores.  this show had some excellent episodes.  like tales from the darkside, though, there were some really really awful ones, too

jargenfornow wrote:

got it!

23. Mannequins of Horror  (edit)
Community Score10.0
Perfect 
First aired: 5/20/1989
A nurse tries to help a patient who obsesses on perfecting his clay mannequins. But little does she know how much of a connection he actually has with them.

===================================================================

someone else mentioned monsters and the author richard bloch....i think youre spot on with one.  thanks a lot.

no sweat smile

i love that game

catweazle wrote:

and the author richard bloch....i think youre spot on with one.  thanks a lot.

I believe it will be Robert Bloch, author of Psycho and lots of other good stuff.

Jargen u rock.

Nice job man.. I've never seen that series.. Sounds like something I should look into..

damn, thanks ya'll smile

oh, and monsters is definitely worth checking out.  there are some awful episodes, and i don't think that they ever had a decent budget, but there are some very creepy episodes.

It's pretty much like Tales from the Darkside without the goofy sound effects that popped up a lot (springs boinging, etc.).

I remember Monsters, it was good cheezy TV. But I still thinkTales From the Darkside, had a creepier intro music.

Absolutely.  The Monsters intro was cute, with the creature family.

In the Tales From the Darkside intro, you can see 3 cars in the distant background captured driving in the scenery shots smile

Those cars were totally intensional... they are darkside cars... no really they are.