Topic: Ann Rice - Still a horror writer? Ever a horror writer?

What do you guys think? I don't call her new Christian themed novels horror, but then again, were the vampire chronicles horror?

Re: Ann Rice - Still a horror writer? Ever a horror writer?

I would classify her as a horror writer, in a classical romanticized way I suppose. I would call her new books horror either, perhaps historical fiction or something like that.

i gotta admit ive never read an Anne Rice Novel. had no idea she was now doing religious novels. Are the fiction? is she preaching?

I have never even heard of Anne Rice.  I'm not religious at all, so I dont think her stories will interest me in the least.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

I have never even heard of Anne Rice.  I'm not religious at all, so I dont think her stories will interest me in the least.

Have you seen the movies Interview with a Vampire or Queen of the Damned.
Both were based off of her vampire chronicle books.

I have seen Interview with a Vampire, but I havent seen Queen of the Damned.  I thought Interview was an alright film, but I had no idea it was based off her vampire chronicle books.  Thanks for the tip Greg.

If you thought Interview was just alright, then Queen will probably suck. I like Interview, it was pretty close to her book with some artisitic changes. But Queen really screwed things up and it resulted in a subpar movie.

Yea thats what I have been hearing.  Ive heard the casting isnt all that great, but that may be some bullshit.

Interview was good.  Queen was bad.  Basically from what I have read the company that had the rights to her books, their lease or whatever was about to expire unless they made another film so they decided to combine THE VAMPIRE LESTAT and QUEEN OF THE DAMNED into one film.

To classify her as horror....I have only read INTERVIEW so far.  I was gonna read LESTAT on a plane ride from FL to TN but was so burried in GOLIATH I couldn't stop and I have never gotten around to finishing them.  Plan too after I read BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

But...I would agree with Greg it is romantized.  So...a kinda romantic, classical vampire kinda story...at least for INTERVIEW.

Her Current Novels are about Jesus Christ, and follow his early life. They are historically accurate, I suppose, if you count the story of Jesus has history. There are no horrific portions of the novel, and it's a shame, in my opinion, that someone who had so much talent in the horror genre could have gone and found herself religion.

Vampires was not the only thing she did. She did a large chronicle on witches, and started one on werewolves before her change.

Anne Rice's writing is romantic but also very modern.  She is an excellent gothic author who captures many Christian themes in her novels such a redemption and conscience.  However, her writings are in no way fully pure, for they deal with lust, erotic situations (in terms of feeding and in other ways) and violence.  I feel she is similar to Flannery O'Connor, in that even though her work is not necessairilly "Christian Writing" it has many Christian themes.