Re: George A. Romeros Diary of the Dead!

Yeah I've got Maniac on dvd. Very disturbing film. I think I've only watched it all the way through once. But that shotgun scene I've watched a million times. It's incredible. He did something similar in The Prowler but it wasn't quiet as affective.

Last edited by Nosferatu (2006-08-27 00:16:04)

I'm looking forward to this one and it sounds great to me.  Go Georgie, go, so glad that his career is going so strong now; he's such a cool cat and a super nice guy.  I personally hope that he gets Nicotero because his stuff rocks.

All of Romero's zombie flicks are awesome, I would even go as far as calling Romero the king of the zombie genre. And it is so good to know that he is going to keep em coming, I am so glad he did not let the down fall of Land of the Dead discourage him, Alot of ppl did not care too much for Land of the Dead for some reason or another, I myself went to see it with an open mind cauise i knew with the way that the horror world is today they where not going to let Romero give us the Land of the Dead he wanted us all to see, I was however surprised with what they did let Romero bring to the big screen, The only real flaw i saw in Land of the Dead was the ending, And that i would not even go as far as calling a flaw Romero was just leaveing the door open for another chapter. Now that all this shit has been said about Romero's ( Or should i say Hollywood's) Land of the Dead Maybe it was enough to realy piss Romero off, And now he is going to make a zombie flick that will bite all of our asses. In order for him to do that Diary of the Dead might end up being more of a straight to DVD release, Because it sounds like Romero is going back to the start, Back to what made his zombie films so fresh to begin with, And if that is so than so be it, Bring on more zombies Romero!

Last edited by Norrock The Zombie Eater (2006-09-02 16:29:22)

I adore Romero's zombie films and think he is an amazing director.  I am greatly looking forward to this film and a sequel to Land of the Dead (if he decides to do it).  As for it being similar to the Blair Witch Project, I think that it can still be good as long as it is done right (which I believe is guaranteed with a director like Romero).

The thing about Blair Witch is it was a freaky movie and quite disturbing until you realize it was completely not real.  At that point everything just fades and it is no longer scary or disturbing, but just an overall let down.  Now of course, I am well aware that the whole point of fiction is to imagine, and try and suspend reality, but the makers of that film tried so hard to make it seem real that it ended up feeling completely fake.  Now as along as Romero, tries to make it something like the original TCM or Cannibal Holocaust, in terms of it being gritty, then it will be very good.

Hey this just in guys it looks like Diary of the Dead may be going straight to DVD.. Check out the piece for more and also confirmation of our scoop on Zombisodes..

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror-news.php?id=6435

That could be a good thing. Like he said "freedom". so maybe anything goes and no holding back on the good shit.

the fact its going direct to DVD Gives me great hope that this movie will be worth checking out. All his past direct to dvd films were awesome.

Whether it hits theatres or goes straight to DVD, ill be definentally buying it.  I have high hopes for this one and I highly doubt ill be let down.  Long live the king!!!

TiM the Zombie wrote:

Whether it hits theatres or goes straight to DVD, ill be definentally buying it.  I have high hopes for this one and I highly doubt ill be let down.  Long live the king!!!

Hear Hear!!!

Yea it also brought up the whole "Whose going to do FX?" question too. I'm glad KNB will be doing them. They always do a great job and this should be one hell of a film..

Could be nice to give Savini a little break with the zombies for a while...

Great news and it really sounds great; so happy he's getting Greg to do the FX.  The Zombisodes thing sounds funny as hell too.  Looking forward to both.

I'm looking forward to watch the movie! big_smile

knb doing the fx is indeed a good move.

Yeah, I have to agree that KNB does fantastic FX.  I think we're all a little excited about this one.

Yea the FX was my main concern for this film. I didn't care if it was shot "Blair Witch" style or anything like that. I was really worried about how he would pull off good looking zombies on a low budget. Thankfully I think KNB took a paycut for George and decided to help him out..

I don't know how excited I am to hear about this.  I think Romero's zombie films have lost quality over time.  Land of the Dead for example was just terrible as it provided no scares and plenty of laughs.  I did enjoy the movie, but I would rather not see another like it.  I think this new Romero movie could be a huge success if he goes back to his roots and uses classic zombie styles.  Slowing moving and no communication skills along with a errie atmosphere and mysterious characters would make the new movie all that much more worth the while.  I am also worried about this handheld camera idea, unless Romero can incorporate this to serve a purpose other than "genuine scares."  Blair Witch failed horribly and I hope Romero will learn from that and not make the same mistakes.  If he does it right, it should be the scariest film yet.

Well let me answer your qualms.. First the story is taking place when the outbreak first began so the zombies will be like what they were in Night of the Living Dead.. Secondly you refer to Blair Witch as "failed horribly".. Well I have a strong dislike for the movie myself.. But the movie was far from failing horribly. That movie hit the jack pot.. Made millions of dollars and was on the cover of the Times! Not exactly a horrible failure..

I personally like the idea, I think Romero has enough vision and film smarts to do something original and fun. I did like Land, it's not my favorite but I did like it. KNB or not I don't believe that Romero will skimp on the FX he may have to tap new talent but he'll find it. I actually got into a conversation with George Romero and Gunnar Hansen about the current state of Horror at a convetion in L.A. one time while waiting for a book signing for Bruce Campbell. I was in heaven but my wife didn't know who either person was so she didn't undertand why I was so excited to talk to two old guys about movies. When I explained who they were she said, "Oh, well that's cool."

Heh.. yea lucky for us KNB is back.. That was one of the really strong points of Land of the Dead.. A film that I really liked that I think is pretty underrated..

I had thought for the longest time, that Savini was doin' the FX for Land.  KNB really did a bang up job though and I'm excited as to what they will bring.  Land of the Dead is an awesome film and very very underated IMO.

I'm glad to hear that Diary of the Dead has begun shooting. Maybe I should take some time off work and cruise the streets of Toronto to see if I can find where they're shooting and party with the zombies lol

So it sounds like this film takes place before Dawn Of The Dead, at the beginning of the living dead outbreak, making Diary the 'true' sequel to NOTLD.

Now I really can't wait to check it out!

no not really its more like a prequel then a sequel

The story doesnt sound too bad, i always thought about instead of survivors of the zombie aftermath how about a movie made up of several short stories like creepshow, but each story is a survivor telling what happened to them when the killing started, Like a bunch of people holed up somewhere telling how they all got there then the last story is seeing if they survive the end of the movie, usual zombies find a way into the building somehow so the main characters have to make a run for it....
Also you never really see any children in any zombie movies, a few not much original dawn of the dead,little girl and  zombie baby in the remake, zombie boy in land but not anything when the choas starts, could you imagine zombies entering the pediatrics dept in a hospital with all the little babies! The horror!!!!.
and if it has JUST begun shooting how com i saw a trailer for it already on the internet ?

Has anyone heard any updates on Romero's health?