Topic: Goosebumps for the Big Screen > in the Works

I'm not sure if this has been posted and if so I am sorry but I have just recently got wind of some news that worries yet excites me.

'Goosebumps' Being Adapted For the Big Screen
Monday, August 18, 2008

By: MrDisgusting

I love children's horror films, especially when they end up being s good as MONSTER HOUSE, which is why I have hopes for the first feature film adaptation of Goosebumps, the popular children's book series that spawned more than 50 books. This evening it was announced that Columbia Pictures is planning their first live-action features based on the books, which you can read about inside.

Writing duo Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander are in negotiations to write the live-action big-screen adaptation of the children's horror series "Goosebumps" for Columbia Pictures.

Neal Moritz and his Sony-based Original Film shingle is producing as is Scholastic Entertainment's Deborah Forte.

Karaszewski and Alexander are expected to close their deal this week.

While straight-to-video versions of the R.L. Stine book series have been made, the project will mark the first feature adaptation of the series and could become a franchise for Columbia, which acquired the rights in May.

The "Goosebumps" series -- which comprises more than 50 books that often pay homage to classic sci-fi/horror movies such as "Night of the Living Dead" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" as well as the twist endings of "The Twilight Zone" -- have grossed hundreds of millions for Stine and Scholastic, second only to the "Harry Potter" series. Stine recently published a new 12-book series, "Goosebumps in HorrorLand," and Scholastic plans to launch a video game in the fall.

Moritz has said he likely will cast youngsters for the leads and then include well-known actors in supporting roles, a la the "Potter" films.

Karaszewski and Alexander are best known for their penmanship on "Ed Wood," "Man on the Moon" and "The People vs. Larry Flynt," the latter of which earned them a Golden Globe. Other credits include "1408" and "Ripley's Believe It or Not." The pair are repped by Endeavor.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

What does everyone else think of this? > I love the Goosebump books & series despite being corny so I am actually hoping this does go ahead big_smile

Last edited by Venomous Nightshade (2008-12-20 17:11:03)

Re: Goosebumps for the Big Screen > in the Works

Well it's news to me but hey I've only just heard about the King Kong remake and I'm not convinced that Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange can pull it off .
I know the Goosebumps TV show went down well but I'm not too sure that a movie would work hmm
But if it helps a new generation of kids become horror fans I have no problem with it big_smile

LOL yay!

I LOVED the Goosbumps books as a kid and when i got a little older I read every single "Fear Street" book by R.L. Stine.  Yes, all of the books are a bit cheesy, but they're fun.  Horror doesn't always have to be scary.  I love campy horror too smile

I will totally watch this movie if/when it comes out.

Yeah, my seven year old will be so excited to here the news

Goosebumps on the big screen...damn...hell did freeze over...

What's next, a live Archie movie...:(

You want to read one of his books that isn't cheesy, go find a copy of Blind Date. I read it for the first time when I was twelve and I still enjoy it. That book has great staying power and is much more adult-geared than the fear street books.

Theres gonna be an Archie movie wow who's gonna play Veronica lol lol

good news for my sis...she was hooked on the television show years ago...I'm sure she will be anxious to catch this flick when it is released

This is freakin' awesome! FINALLY a big screen film instead of short 45 min. tv movies..yesss! I looooved Goosebumps when I was a kid and I even have some of the books...Goosebumps is awesome! CANT' WAIT! big_smile

I can honestly say that this is something I'd like to see because i'm a huge Goosebumps fan, but this is the last shred of hope flying away in the air.  What's next is going to be a live action snoopy movie with AHNOLD playing snoopy.  Robert DeNiro as Woodstock.  Jodi Foster as Charlie Brown

They have had some good books and shows on tv and i am really looking forward to see it hit the big screen:)

That is awesome. i loved these as a kid and did my best to collect the straight to video "movies" if you even want to call them that.

I heard about this.  I loved watching the short skits when I was a kid, so hopefully this is better.

I seriously hope this happens!! Me and my sister used to insanely collect these books!

'Beware of the purple peanut butter' is like one of my favourite books lol.

I have fond memories of reading the Goosebumps books and watching "Are You Afraid of the Dark" when I was a kid. I think it would be really great to see what they do with this.

Eh, not sure if I want this or not.... I grew up to these books, they made previous movies before.. But it could be good.

Sounds like a good idea.

that would be so sweet. the books were awsome, the t.v show was sweet. Hopefully R.L Stein will be writing this. I love'd the halloween episode, with the masks. kinda a little homage to halloween 3

Umm maybe if your a tweeny... this is for little children. I have never seen it. I was already a growned up man when this aired on tv so fuck it lol

yeah, I have yet to grow up. Doubt I ever will...

hey the faster ya grow up the faster you die lol  but there is a limit I can handle and this is one that I say fuck it.  It was a childrens show and it still is. Not my cup of home brew fungus

DemonToSome wrote:

Umm maybe if your a tweeny... this is for little children. I have never seen it. I was already a growned up man when this aired on tv so fuck it lol

aww come on. If you grew up with it like me you'd think it's for all ages! My mum used to watch it with me and she loved it big_smile.

lol no come on  neutral  I never grew up with it.I never even seen it or cared to!  I was already grown up when it was ared so it was a kid show.. I dont give a shit if they make a movie of this but its for kids... thats all...
Me is a old experienced old dude tongue  like a few of us here LOL

DemonToSome wrote:

lol no come on  neutral  I never grew up with it.I never even seen it or cared to!  I was already grown up when it was ared so it was a kid show.. I dont give a shit if they make a movie of this but its for kids... thats all...
Me is a old experienced old dude tongue  like a few of us here LOL

HA HA HA fair enough wink.