Re: Fangoria or Rue Morgue....I need help?

P.S. My birthday came and went and I didn't get the Fango sub I was hoping for.

So, I just might be dumping my girlfriend.

that's logical, just be sure to do it by mail, seed - seems fitting smile

JamesZahn wrote:

I still say the more horror the better wink

But, as far as mags go, I think that everyone kind of has a niche, and certain things that they do better or worse than their rivals.

As far as websites go, even though Meh frowns upon the smack talk, there's a few out there that really deserve it.

hah I got $10 says I could guess EXACTLY who you are talking about first try. Shit I would make that $100.

I made the choice to take the highroad despite the people throwing stones at our site and will continue to do so. Its all about horror, not drama afterall... this aint highschool.

Clearly Fangoria is a great magazine, so is Rue morgue as noted it comes down to personal tastes.

Those prices james quotes were about what i paid for fango.

im a long time fan of fangoria, but i also do love rue morgue too, because as many said before theres more to read and delve into.

another ive caught on to in the past year or so is horrorhound. but to subscribe to all of them is so damn expensive.

Meh wrote:
JamesZahn wrote:

I still say the more horror the better wink

But, as far as mags go, I think that everyone kind of has a niche, and certain things that they do better or worse than their rivals.

As far as websites go, even though Meh frowns upon the smack talk, there's a few out there that really deserve it.

hah I got $10 says I could guess EXACTLY who you are talking about first try. Shit I would make that $100.

I met James at Chicago Fango and got to talk with him there and a bunch at LA Fango too.  I think we touched on the subject of other sites and their perception of the "smaller" guys (even if we have bigger numbers).  Just like with the magazines, websites all have their own strengths and weaknesses.....and ego's.  lol 

BTW James, whens DWTS #2 coming out?  Let me know if there is anywhere here in Chi-town that might carry it if/when it's out.

Hey J,

DWTS #2 and #3 are in-production. I don't have dates yet, but we're working on it. I take it you liked #1?

Here's the inked cover for #2. It's about to go to color...

http://fangoria.com/images/stories/may2009/dwtscover2_bw.jpg

Hey James! Good to see you posting on here once again.

I have always been more of a fan of Rue Morgue simply because they cover more obscure horror.. If it is mainstream or indie I have probably already heard about it.. So thats mainly why I don't read Fangoria any more.

JamesZahn wrote:

Hey J,

DWTS #2 and #3 are in-production. I don't have dates yet, but we're working on it. I take it you liked #1?

Here's the inked cover for #2. It's about to go to color...

http://fangoria.com/images/stories/may2 … er2_bw.jpg

Cool looks good. Really dug issue 1 and looking forward to more of the story. Once 2 is good to go let me know. I'll even hunt you down in Chicago if that's what it takes to get an issue. LOL

I've bought one or two issues of Rue Morgue. They are expensive. Wherever I see Fangoria on newspaper shop and bookstore shelves the price seems expensive.

Last edited by WaveCrest (2009-07-08 17:43:47)

I love Fango - I seemed to have spent most of my teen years buried inside its bloody pages. I love Rue Morgue - I just starting reading it about 5 issues back. It is hard to choose because both magazines do their jobs extremely well. Being a Canuck I like to support Rue Morgue but Fango will always a soft spot in which to pierce my heart.

Last edited by gothiczen (2009-07-15 12:39:30)

Funnily enough never read either. It is possible to get them where I am but the price is too much. It's a shame because they both look gorgeous but alas, I have a price limit to magazines.

If Fangoria comes down in price, I would especially be interested in that magazine smile

Bought issue 91 of Rue Morgue recently, and I have to say Fangoria is better value for money. Rue Morgue was only 72 pages thick, and for the price of the magazine it's not good value for money. Fangoria is overpriced but there seemed more to read in that one (the last issue with the Final Destination 4 and Halloween 2 articles).

Last edited by WaveCrest (2009-08-05 18:04:40)

Anyone got anything to say about HorrorHound magazine? I can get that for a hell of a lot cheaper than Fangoria or RM, so I was wondering if it was any good.

Hello Everyone,

When I saw the title to this post, I knew I had to come in and comment.

For the last year, I have had a subscription to both Fangoria and Rue Morgue.

I started reading Fangoria Magazine when I was very young, I would sneak into my aunts bedroom and read her copies hoping not to get caught. Then once I was old enough I would buy my own copies. Now I have to give credit where credit is due, for many years Fangoria was the best horror magazine out there.

However, last year for my birthday, I received a subscription to Rue Morgue and I was amazed. The quality of the articles and information that they deliver is outstanding.

Yes, Fangoria seems to have better images but pictures are not everything and I realised the more I read Rue morgue the more disappointed I became with Fangoria.

I am saddened to say that I will be cancelling my subscription to Fangoria and continuing with Rue Morgue.

I have a ton of Fangoria mags in boxes but I haven't had a subsciption to it for a while now. Never even read a Rue Morgue mag before.
I have all the HorrorHound mags but I don't really like it that much. Not exactly sure why but it just doesn't seem near par at all with Fangoria.

http://www.thehagstonedemon.com/Fangoria-logo.png