Topic: Help!! I've killed a book!!

Does anyone know the best way to dry out a book that you've just accidentally dropped in the bath?

I know this should maybe be in Chit-Chat but I am slightly obsessive about looking after books and now I've drowned one I'm horrified!  I have it wrapped tightly in a towel just now so that I can't see the damage I've done.  yikes 

Btw, I got the book second-hand for £2.50 so it's not the end of the world if it ends up like a concertina but me and my bookshelves would be a lot happier if it didn't.  Thanks!!  smile

Re: Help!! I've killed a book!!

sometimes steaming it can help over some boiling water - but this is not fool proof and very taxing

Two options lol hairdryer to dry the pages separately lol you'll get a cool crinkly effect tongue

or

Take a newspaper, rip it in half, and put a piece of newspaper between each page and check it every 3-5 minutes, separate pages that are sticking and eventually it should be back to normal

or

buy a new version lol mwah! hun x

put paper towels between th esheets perhaps

That happened to my Watchmen graphic novel. Too harsh story to be written. I couldn't save it so I just baught a new one.

I would just get a new one if it was only $2.50. But if It's a rare book and you can't find another copy, I would save it.

Awww that sucks.  And it reminds me of an episode of Cheers.  Sam was keeping a first edition copy of a book (don't recall which but it was a rare classic) for Diane and got into it.  He was reading it in the bath and there it went.  It ended up being about a foot thick.  Poor thing.  That just breaks my heart.

Why would anyone read a book in the bath?? Too risky! tongue

I read in the bath all the time.  I haven't dropped one yet but I've come close and my heart stopped for a bit.  lol

my pages stick together for entirely different reasons
I've found burning becomes necessary big_smile

Now ya done it, I dropped I am Legend in the toliet...lol<<<<<< lucky it was an unused toliet. It dryed ok.:lol:

My guitar teacher dropped his cellphone in the toilet. Anything that has to do with toilet-dropping seems so damn funny. tongue

lol

http://www.oxypowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/caddyshack01.jpg

i always read in the bath. i never dropped a book but if it happends i'll try those things.

I never read in the bath lol and this thread explains why. Most of my books are second hand but still mean a lot to me, I would never risk ruining them. Nah lol I just take my mobile in and listen to music just as calming for me smile

Probably too late now, but if you freeze it and then let it slowly warm up in the fridge I think it will prevent lots of damage.  I think I read that somewhere, but I'm also insane so I could be mistaken.  I came across this somewhere a while ago about book preservation.  I'll only read cheap books in the bath.  I read my more expensive books in the shower.  big_smile

Thanks everyone for the advice. smile  It's not too late Azathoth, the book's still drying out so I might give it a go!  I don't read newspapers so I followed Godzilla's advice about the paper towels, wrapped it in a towel and put some heavy books on top.  It's still drying out but I think it will be readable, if a bit crinkly 'round the edges.

I always read in the bath and have never dropped the book - in fact, when this happened, I hadn't even made it into the bath yet.  I was still running it when something (I'm assuming a ghost wink ) knocked it off the shelf and into the water.  The moral of this story is never leave books or ghosts unattended near running water.  lol

moviemaven wrote:

I read in the bath all the time.  I haven't dropped one yet but I've come close and my heart stopped for a bit.  lol

when i drop one in the bath it becomes a jacuzi:lol:

wolfman1959 wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

That's gross.  Thank you.  hmm

lol

Your genetics may say part wolf but you are allll man with that comment.  tongue

moviemaven wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:
moviemaven wrote:

That's gross.  Thank you.  hmm

lol

Your genetics may say part wolf but you are allll man with that comment.  tongue

i'll take that as a compliment,boy would you be in for a disapointment if you ever met me Maven bless ya! xx

Duh, I know what you look like.  Or are you so ridiculously old that you have forgotten?  I don't recall mentioning anything about disappointment.  But I do recall something along the lines of RARRRR.  tongue

moviemaven wrote:

Duh, I know what you look like.  Or are you so ridiculously old that you have forgotten?  I don't recall mentioning anything about disappointment.  But I do recall something along the lines of RARRRR.  tongue

i know you know what i look like and all i can say is you're easily pleased! i love ya though Mwahhh xx

It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's taken three weeks and a lot of paper towels but my book is readable again!  As you can see, apart from a bit of a wobbly edge to the cover, it's as good as new (well, second hand lol).

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6743/image0017.jpg

If you ever have this problem, the answer seems to be to apply pressure and keep it away from direct heat.  Put paper towels between the pages, wrap in a towel and put something heavy on top.  Change the paper towels after a week and re-wrap in a towel.  After another week, change the paper towels again but don't wrap up, apart from protecting the cover from whatever heavy object you're using.  After about another week, you have a readable, crinkle-free book.  It takes ages but it does work.  big_smile

they say if youdrop your cell phone in water that if you place it in a baggie full of rice that the rice will absorb the water..perhaps this will work for a book ???