Re: Masters of Horror!!

I prefer Homecoming as a great political satire. 

Pick Me Up was good, but it was more like a suspense film than a horror film.  Richard Moriarty was awesome as Wheeler.

I dont know, I liked Homecoming...i didnt thinking the plot was the best and the zombies were not what i had expected, still didnt really dissapoint me that much.  I'm still anxious to see Pick Me Up.

I just watched Dreams in the Witch House by Stuart Gordon and I have to say I really enjoyed it.  It's not as good as Incident or Cig Burns but it was still a really intriguing plot and played out very well.  Although, I thought the rat character was a little silly and at the end of the movie it felt like it was paying its due's towards the film Alien.  Overall, i thought it was really good and cant wait to see the rest of the series.

I like Dreams and I also read the short story and I have to say Gordon did a superb job.  I disagree completely with some reivews calling it the low of his Lovecraft adaptaions, grant it it is not that gory but still a very good story and a well adapted film.

I read it after I saw the movie and the surprising thing to me was the fact that the rat coming from the guy's chest was actually in the story.

I have to ask you then, did the Lovecraft short story differ much from the film?

The Lovecraft story did differ a bit.  This is from memory, haven't read it in a while.

First off the single mom in the movie doesn't exist in the book, the main character is just given a baby whom he has no prior relationship with. 

No computers in the story tongue

Masurewicz still is the crazy old coot but in the story Gillman only makes mention of meeting Masurewicz.

The ending is very much like the story, spare that there is a brief paragraph or two where a group of workers are tearing the house apart and discover the body of a rat...but with a skull with human features. 

Thats all I can recall right now.  Gordon does do a very good adaptation with the story and I definatly can say this is far closer than Re-Animator was.

*big spoiler below for those who haven't seen it*

That one was pretty good, come to think of it. The poor guy had to die to prove he wasn't insane

Last edited by DemonToSome (2006-08-30 22:14:30)

Hmm...speaking of spoilers...maybe we should add SPOILER WARNING to every topic tongue

When is season 2 of masters of horror going to be on air?

Its going to begin again in October.. and since we are on the subject of season 2 check out the footage I just found online...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6425.html

The footage for season 2 looks like its going to be great.  However, I honestly doubt that it will be able to compete with season 1 from what I have seen.  Or at least it will be hard to.

Goon wrote:

Its going to begin again in October.. and since we are on the subject of season 2 check out the footage I just found online...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6425.html

I guess us Canadians don't get to see it.....

"Sorry

We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States."

Damn that sucks.  Well, the footage looks GREAT and the demon in Pro-Life has the quality look of a big studio film.

Glad to hear it looks good. I think the second season will be better than the first.
The first season was like getting their feet wet and now that they know how successful it is, they can jump right in and give us everything they got, and push the limits of television... me hoping anyways

Yea, that is very true Demon.  I mean dont get me wrong, the footage for season 2 looks kick ass!  But, ive just been so impressed with all the episodes from season 1...and i havent even seen all of them yet.  Guess I'm just excited.

I hear ya Tim. I'm still waiting for Imprint. I really have an itch to see that one

I was impressed by all of the movies so far of Season 1 yet I agree Demon they were kinda just testing the waters to see what they could and can't do.  Apparently they have said 'Okay, now that little test is done...lets break out the evil'.

Season 2 looks like a huge leap over Season 1 and hopefully Masters of Horror will be around for a long time.

I hope it's on for many seasons too

Yea I'm glad we got another look at the Demon.. He looks bad ass. I can't wait to see Ron Perlman in that episode either.. Does anyone know what the other footage is from?

All I recognized was the footage from John Carpenter's Pro Life, which you had told me about, so other than that i truly have no idea.  Leaves to think of what its going to be like...and its going to be great.

Okay, I recongized Pro-Life.

I also recongized from Fangoria scenes from Tobe Hooper's THE DAMNED THING and John Landis' FAMILY

Being a huge Meat Loaf fan (Bat Out of Hell III on shelves Oct. 31 smile) I caught him and he is staring in Dario Argento's PELTS.

I think also there was some frames from Ernst Dickerson's THE V WORD.

I finally saw Deer Woman by John Landis.  I must say, I really enjoyed it.  I thought it was very funny.  It's anything but a horror sept' for the corpses but you barely get a glimpse of that.  Overall, it was really enjoyable and i could easily watch it again and probrably end up laughing my ass off.  The best part is when he is imagining what happened at the crime scene.  That part made me laugh.  Tim was definentally not let down.

I was just at Fangoria and they have the lineup for the first few episodes of season 2.  Tobe Hooper's The Damned Thing kicks off Season 2 on Oct 27. 

But, sadly for me...I do not have Showtime sad  I will have to wait on their website for clips from the epsiodes like they had for Season 1 or go to the Masters of Horror website for trailers.

http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2655

Last edited by thegoldensimatar (2006-09-07 12:07:32)

That is some exciting news.  It's just around the corner.  I feel your pain man, except doubled considering I also do not have Showtime and I havent even seen Tobe Hooper's Dance of the Dead yet.  I am ashamed.

Well, Showtime did a 1-2 week free trail in December of last year and I was able to catch Homecoming but sadly it ended before I could see Deer Woman. 

So, I am hoping they do it again and I hope that they do it during Thanksgiving cause I wanna see Pro-Life.