Topic: the Thing Prequel

Oh my god, I just shat my pants. Yes ladies and gents A Thing Prequel. Could there really and truly be a god?

Two articles on this illustrious topic!
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9871.html
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_6457.html

Re: the Thing Prequel

Ugh, I really rather not see a prequal to The Thing nor do I want to see a remake or a sequal.  I mean wasn't the original good enough?  Hell yeah it was!  It was a fuckin' cult classic!  What's happening to all the creativity and originality we used to know and love in the film making industry.  I mean as brilliant as Gunn and the whole crew over at Strike Entertainment are and as brilliant as Slither and the Dawn remake were, I feel that if they helm this project than we're going to get this comedy/horror blend which for The Thing, is totally wrong IMO.

well i should be specific done RIGHT i would love to see it smile

AW FLIPPING SWEET! 

John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favorite all time horror films.  It is also the first Carpenter film I saw and it scared me shitless and gave me nightmares for a week afterward.  It made me a Carpenter fan on the spot.

I don't think Gunn and the lot at Strike are dumb enough to inject a lot of comedy into the film.  Maybe one or two things to give a grin to lighten the tension before the scares but unless they want to be booed at every horror convention for the rest of their lives, they will do a caustraphobic terrifying movie.

And if any of them cruise this forum...get John Carpenter to helm. 

Still, a prequel would only mean the events from the time the Norwegian team discovered the craft to the last two of them being killed at the American Search Station.

I really love "The Thing" and hope they go with cool animatronic effects and get a good director. I don't want to see cheap CGI stuff, i want slimy, disgusting monsters and great craftsmansship once again.

couldn't have said it better

I'm not really excited about the project but I say if they bring back Rob Bottin for effects this film could be amazing.. I think no matter how good of a director John Carpenter is without Rob Bottin this movie could have tanked..

Oh agreed...I completely forgot about Bottin.

I have to agree.  Bottin did a fabulous job with the effects which is one of the reasons this film is so great.  The direction that Carpenter gave was excellent and Kurt Russell did a fantastic job as well.  I just personally feel its gonna be another failed attempt to remake a cult classic somewhat like TCM.  Although, I was definentally not let down with the Dawn remake so who knows what this puppy will bring.

Yeah Tim you hit it on the head. The Dawn Remake is what made me think that remakes can work. I would love to see Kurt back in the saddle but sadly as a prequel that wouldnt work. I wonder what story we might get from it. To me a sequel would work but how does a prequel work?

Look up at my first post for my theory:

a prequel would only mean the events from the time the Norwegian team discovered the craft to the last two of them being killed at the American Search Station.

Its the only thing I could think of and basically it would be a rehash of the original film but with Norwegians instead of Americans.  A sequel would work though.  Something maybe with slight influence from the game.

i wud only be excited if carpenter himself did a prequel

i agree Tim the original remake was good enough (One of my all time favs horror films in fact), And for some reason the word prequel & The Thing don't even mix  well together. However if they could get Carpenter, Russell, & Bottin, back i would love to see a sequal

You couldnt have said it better.

a prequel could be really amazing if they actually planned it properly, got great writers, and stay away from cgi.  I feel let down so often when i see the eventual product after the initial hype that it's hard not to worry about this one.  still, though, there's always a little bit of hope that someone will do it right.

carpenter's version really is something special, though...i rank it alongside prince of darkness, personally.

I rank THE THING as one of my all time fav horror films.  But as I have said, what could the prequel be?

The only logical idea in my head is to do the events at the Norwegian camp which would only be a rehash of the original but with Norwegians and the film will end with the first few minutes of the original.

Anyone else got any prequel ideas?

My guess would be showing the thing among its own kind before ending up on Earth, but it just sounds like a stupid idea. 

I really couldn't think of much else, except someone else digging one out of the ice somewhere else.  Maybe one crash lands at the bottom of the ocean??

The more I think about it, the dumber a prequel sounds.

I don't think theres need for a prequel. Maybe its being called a prequel just so it doesn't have the word "sequel" or "remake" attached to it. I don't know.
And if it is with the Norwegians it will be like a remake anyways, with newer effects.

I loved the Thing but always felt the one thing that made it classic was that Carpenter never made a sequel. The last moment seemed to be suspended in time.

good post and i do agree christeen smile

cristeen69 wrote:

I loved the Thing but always felt the one thing that made it classic was that Carpenter never made a sequel. The last moment seemed to be suspended in time.

Exactly what i was saying on Movies Online. Personally, i love the mystery behind the Thing and trying to explain the creature's backround may actually ruin something that is perfect the way it is.

good point leon, i rather see a remake or a sequel.

Definatly agree with Leon.  Telling how a mysterious horror icon came to be or the full backstory is just wrong imo unless said specifically in the first movie.

In the long sad history of bad ideas I think this is one of the worst. There is nothing wrong with the original, it does not need an update it still to this day can out shine most of the shit coming out of Hollywood. I have made countless people that are non-horror movie people watch that movie just to watch them squirm. Name a movie in the last ten years that you can do that with.

Correct me if A'hm wrong but,
Carpenters "THING" IS a remake....heh  Let's give 'em a chance, A'h mean Slither was galldamned badass!!  IF an only IF they don't get friggin' silly it could be cool, jes' because it's a prequel, don't mean they're going to explain anything.  It could be an earlier time dealing with the same bastarding breed ah aliens eh?

Mah money is on this, I learned not to bet against Troma alumni!!
Weasels are in my bellfry,
Bubbah

jargenfornow wrote:

My guess would be showing the thing among its own kind before ending up on Earth, but it just sounds like a stupid idea. 

I really couldn't think of much else, except someone else digging one out of the ice somewhere else.  Maybe one crash lands at the bottom of the ocean??

The more I think about it, the dumber a prequel sounds.

That's the jist of what I was going to say, glad I saw your post. The THING in outer space! Why not add it in the Alien Vs. Predator 2 movie-which is taking place on earth...so go figure that out, or don't if you're like me and don't care...The first BnW was titled The THING from outer space-get it if you haven't, great family (kids too) Halloween popcorn fun...the John Carpenter version is just the shit...its legendary and the last lines are awesome  "....why don't we just sit here a little while...see what happens."

Last edited by PhilnEdee (2006-10-21 12:24:48)