Re: What was the scariest and/or most disturbing book you have ever read?

IT was on of the scariest.. I had a pretty scary time while reading Koontz's Frankenstain.. Great book.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Id have to say It .. and I have read some of Marquis De sade .. very disturbing..

but once i read a short story and I can't remember the name- but it involved a man going  into a bathroom stall and finding a live baby in a toilet.  he is shocked and tries to rescue the baby only to find it isnt a baby - it has teeth and suckers on it's extra tentacle arms..  and soon finds the baby is everywhere he goes to ....Very ' H.P. Lovecraft'.   and creepy as hell !!

Ooh!  I read that one too!  Totally bizarre.  Can't remember either, but I'm sure I'll find it in one of my anthology books, I'll let you know when I do.

Not so much scary, but the most disturbing book I ever read was Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk.  That was one fucked up read.  I read it, then felt guilty for being so engrossed, read it again just to be sure, then gave it away.  I'm so far from squeamish, but this one was a bit big on the eewww factor for me, too gratuitous, I guess...

I 'd probably say The Shining. a great read.

I remember The Haunting Of Hill House really getting to me when I was much younger

think it was called "encyclopedia of serial killers"  real  life stuff is the most disturbing. i would actualy stop readind n just be like.. damn....

IT scared the hell out of me.  I think I was only about 12 when I read it.  The only book that ever gave me nightmares.  Out of all the horror books I've read I can't think of another one that scared me.

I'd like to think I'm pretty well read and I swear nothing made me more emotional than when
"Old Dan" died in Where The Red Fern Grows, seriously LOL

American Psycho rules btw.
Say You Love Satan is a true crime novel that I found disturbing because the kids didn't seem too far removed from the way my friends and I were, I found that pretty damn scary

and Death Scenes from Feral House is just a collection of real murder scenes - a couple pics definitely turn the stomach

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-09-21 22:42:28)

^ I was supposed to do a book report on that in elementary school.  Never did read it though.  I think I just copied the back cover and turned that in for my homework.:lol:

speaking of...so how are those GED courses shaping up for ya mdc? lol lol

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-09-21 22:45:54)

Hey, I resent that, I'm about to graduate college with a degree in political science............ten years after my first semester.:lol:

edit:  I blame the drugs.:lol:  Theres a time and a place for everything and for me the time and place for drugs were my 20's.

Last edited by mdc666 (2009-09-21 22:56:00)

ya know I'm just funnin big_smile

^ impression management wink  lol

I know your joking, no need for impression management around here.  I was joking about resenting your comment (more impression management:lol:)

If you need a study for your final, as a "discipline" I fall squarely on the fault line between the wretched and the depraved lol

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2009-09-21 23:08:47)

fredgarvin wrote:

I 'd probably say The Shining. a great read.

That's the one that scared me the most too.  I think I was about 13 when I read it.

IT By Stephen King really scared me when I was much younger.  Still creepy today, but the overactive imagination of a child is priceless for horror

gothiczen wrote:

I am hoping to garner a great reading list through this post. For me, Stephen King's "Pet Semetary" gave me nightmares for weeks when I was in grade six.

Same with me. That book scared the crap out of me.

"Suffer the Children" by John Saul really freaked me out. I had to keep reading some parts of it to make ABSOLUTELY sure that I was reading what I thought I was reading.

Mein Kampf.  Although, it is more interesting than disturbing.  I found it a little disturbing, because Hitler could have turned out to be a totally different person.

I wouldnt say that this book was "scary".. maybe distrubing, because it was such a trippy, not your ordinary type of book one would usually read - House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

-deadmanwalkin

Finally I got to red Dean Koontz's Frankestein the second novel. Not as great as the first, but still excellent.

IT was a very scary book..  if you like the scares of IT with less of Stephen King's  babble then you should try Dan Simmon's Summer of Night.. very similar in stories but with more scares and less of the background storytelling that King so loves to wander off in...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n1584.jpg

Forget Stephen King, Dean Koontz and all those others.  The most disturbing book I have read to date is The Woman In Black by Susan Hill.

I'm actually reading a pretty creepy one, i have 12 pages to go. It's Lucy's Child by Shaun Hutson, highly recommended.

I recently read The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.  That was a hard one to get through and I almost put it down.  But I'm glad I read the whole thing.  I was reading an edition that had an afterword by the author that kind of explained his thought process while writing.

Pet Semetary for me, is the scariest book I've ever read. But other pretty scary ones would be The Shining, and Night Chills by Dead Koontz.