Topic: Frightmare - 1974

This is a 1974 Pete Walker flick called Frightmare which is okay but I just bought it on dvd and was kinda disappointed in it. I like his film Schizo and The Comeback better than this one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7vQBDbydo[/youtube]

Re: Frightmare - 1974

never seen it, the trailer looks okay though.

I thought Schizoid was better too, but I haven't seen The Comeback. The house of Whipcord was ok and Flesh and Blood show was ok too.

Thanks for the info Fred.  Schizoid was awesome, but Pete Walker's career is kinda choppy.  I have all his stuff, so I will still get this baby...just maybe wait a bit.  At least it's not Die Screaming Marianne!

Hey RIP, bin a long time since I've seen you post. My bad.

I've always confused FRIGHTMARE with NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN -- coincidentally titled Schizo in Australia, here's the premise via IMDb:

A mental-patient, who is troubled with horrible nightmares, has escaped from his hospital. Now on the streets he can't help killing innocent people...

Hilarious.

Last edited by One Bad Seed (2009-11-15 20:03:42)

I regarded FRIGHTMARE Pete Walker's best, myself.

For me, Schizo is the most enjoyable Pete Walker film.
Not to be confused with Schizoid which is a poor American slasher starring Klaus Kinski.

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-03-20 06:03:11)

I liked SCHIZO a lot, too, but I liked FRIGHTMARE even better.

What might be missing in Schizo is the actress Sheila Keith.

Might have to check'er out. Kino/Redemption films just re-issued a bunch of stuff.

Walker's films are hardly essential viewing. Still, not without their charm

Not a huge Frightmare fan, but Schizo is a pretty cool Giallo/slasher type movie.

mathisvogel wrote:

Walker's films are hardly essential viewing. Still, not without their charm

I'm far past viewing only essentials, now I'm onto the best of the rest big_smile

Whatever happened to Pete Walker, it looks like he had quite a run of horror flicks in the mid 70's to early 80's then just stopped directing completely. Was he born again or something?

Theli wrote:

Whatever happened to Pete Walker, it looks like he had quite a run of horror flicks in the mid 70's to early 80's then just stopped directing completely. Was he born again or something?

I remember reading an interview with screenwriter David McGillivray who collaborated with Walker on all of his more-known films, except Schizo. He described Walker as a charming person and a good businessman. He also said that critics despised Walker's films and the audiences wouldn't go to see them.

I guess, Walker was in the business strictly for the money. His horror films, while not hugely successful, did make a profit. But once the profits dried up he must have moved on to something else.

All I found is that he opened up a theatre after retiring from filmmaking, so he must have had some passion for film. Maybe he just got tired of dealing with all the shit of making independent films, and not getting respect for the films he did make.

Theli wrote:

Maybe he just got tired of dealing with all the shit of making independent films, and not getting respect for the films he did make.

To this day, Norman J Warren and Pete Walker aren't really known in their own land; and I can think of a number of independent filmmakers working in Britain nowadays who get their films released in the States but not at home. The BBFC is at least partially to blame

Crazy. Hadn't heard that before.

Well, when the Pete Walked DVD boxset came out back in 2005 things started changing a bit.
Still, these sort of films get hardly ever talked about.

i read Walker said in an interview he thought he was too old to make any more films after House Of The Long Shadows in eary 80's
shame because i like Schizo, Frightmare, Flesh And Blood Show, House of Whipcord