Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 Reviews

Left 4 Dead 2 is now out and so comes the question... what did you think? So far we have two reviews on site. My take is its more of the same and not really worth the buy. Meanwhile one of our readers submitted his own take giving the game an 8 out o...

Read More : Left 4 Dead 2 Reviews

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Reviews

I fricken love it! Ill review it in a few days when im not so busy playing it and can cover all aspects of the game.

8 out of ten is pretty spot on in my opinion as well.im a big fps person and im a HUGE zombie fan so this game satisfies me like from both angles.id do a review myself but im horrible with punctuation and run on sentences so my end review would look like a review from a 10 year old

I was going to write a review but I wanna play it a little more.  Of course it's more of the same, is a sequel to a zombie game, there's only so much a zombie can do, lol.

Hey Meh. I think this sequel is great! I've played through one Chapter twice (alone and with a buddy on split-screen), a Survival map (needed 5 more sec. to earn a medal!) and a few minutes with Realistic mode (i.e. much tougher challenge). I don't have enough cash for XBOX Live yet, but this weekend it's free!!!! I'll post my review probably on Monday or Tuesday. Yes, it's more of the same, but it's much better too. Valve really did expand and improved on the original. I gave the first one 8 skulls a year ago because of the lack of content, but this sequel gets a 10 because of the content. It's a great arcade-style zombie shooter.

Oh, Meh. I just read your 5 skull review. And while I respect your opinion, I really think you should give it a second chance. Yes, it's more of the same and you can even it call it one-dimensional (arcade-style shooter), but it's packed with stuff zombie fans love. The melee weapons are something you'd find in "Dead Rising". How can you not love chopping up zombies with samurai swords and a chainsaw? And the incendinary ammo is great. You can literally light up zombies as they die a very fiery death. The gore has also been increased as zombie body parts occasionally fly off.

For me, the first game was like a blockbuster movie that everyone loved, but I only liked. And yet when the sequel is out, I end up loving it and become a major fan. At GameSpot, I gave the first game a respectable 8.5, but this sequel is definitely a 9.5. At least I think. All the additions and improvements make all the difference for me. And although it's a Valve game, I can't really compare it to "Half-Life" since it's a very different game.  They're both great in their own distinctive ways. As far as a story driven zombie game, I'm sure Valve would do a great job with one. But they've already delivered a terrific arcade-style, zombie-themed shooter with L4D 2.

Last edited by alex1176 (2009-11-19 20:38:43)

I'd go for Left 4 Dead first, as for a start it'll be nice and cheap, and if you play L4D2 first and love it enough to purchase the original, it'll end up being a step down.
Though if there's any way you can get L4D1 to work on PC, it's worth getting that just because of the load of free DLC that's been released - some modes aren't even in L4D2.

Last edited by stephenhope (2009-11-24 02:27:41)

alex1176 wrote:

Oh, Meh. I just read your 5 skull review. And while I respect your opinion, I really think you should give it a second chance. Yes, it's more of the same and you can even it call it one-dimensional (arcade-style shooter), but it's packed with stuff zombie fans love. The melee weapons are something you'd find in "Dead Rising". How can you not love chopping up zombies with samurai swords and a chainsaw? And the incendinary ammo is great. You can literally light up zombies as they die a very fiery death. The gore has also been increased as zombie body parts occasionally fly off.

For me, the first game was like a blockbuster movie that everyone loved, but I only liked. And yet when the sequel is out, I end up loving it and become a major fan. At GameSpot, I gave the first game a respectable 8.5, but this sequel is definitely a 9.5. At least I think. All the additions and improvements make all the difference for me. And although it's a Valve game, I can't really compare it to "Half-Life" since it's a very different game.  They're both great in their own distinctive ways. As far as a story driven zombie game, I'm sure Valve would do a great job with one. But they've already delivered a terrific arcade-style, zombie-themed shooter with L4D 2.

Agreed! I've only played my friends game but I'll get it myself soon. These games are absolutely amazing, they are the best team survival games ever IMO. I like them more then unreal tournament and I love UT!

I just wrote and submitted my review

I just heard this game was censored in my country!! Apparently they made it so zombies disappear when you kill them and cut out a lot of the gore. I am pissed! And they let the first one stay as is, so why censore the second?

Comparing the first one to the second, the second one has way more gore.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7QCtuaXgI[/youtube]
but you can get the american release off off ebay region free

Last edited by pR1m3vil (2009-11-27 23:48:57)

Well I played the demo and it left me cold.

I hated the way you seemed to glide over the ground, it was just too much of the exact same thing again  The racing, screaming, zombie hordes were great when they were first introduced...ho hum now.

And for me it looked less gory because the blood looked much more muted in colour,

Not interested until it becomes a cheap 2nd hand pick-up.

Loved the first one in one player...But the hyped up multi-player left me utterly bored.
Seeing as you control only one of 4 characters in the one player game...the multi-player game was just more of the same.  Only the 3 others were being controlled by people not the computer.
And playing as a zombie was boring too.  You lasted (like all the zombies do in the one player) a few seconds before being killed as one of a group and the more mutated zombies were pretty much unplayable and slow.
Meh.

After playing the demo and watching  a friend play it, I've decided to pass.  Again it more of the same, and really no reason to keep playing.  Ok new missions but you can play those what like twice each before it gets to be the same thing over and over.  Versus mode is still what it used to be.....cheap.  People have already figured out hiding places that are near impossible places to stop.  And survival is just keep shooting in a room until you are either dead or out of ammo.  Really, its the same thing over and over and I cant see how that is entertaining more then a few plays, which is how long it took for the last game to get boring.  This should of been a $20 expansion, not a $60 re-buy

pR1m3vil wrote:

Comparing the first one to the second, the second one has way more gore.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7QCtuaXgI[/youtube]
but you can get the american release off off ebay region free

Thanks I might do that. I really like gore in my video games lol.

I submitted my review and I am on the "like" side of the fence with the game.  What pisses me off is that if you go through all the chapters of a level and aren't on the very last second, you don't get the level achievement.  Which leads to me playing the level 4 times over again.  That frustrates the hell out of me.  The online is laggy too but other than that, it's fun as hell.  I still prefer Call of Duty.  I think I gave L4D2 an 8 stars.

Thats great news, loved the frirst one. Unfourtinatly my xbox is fucked, great timing

Right there with you, my xbox is fucked as well. The only difference is I got to play LFD2 for about 2 weeks before the damn thing died. SUCKS BALLS.

Definitely getting this soon. Nothing better than playing L4D2 with 3 of your friends!