Topic: Horrible - 1981

I got this dvd a few weeks ago called Horrible which came out in 1981 and is a german/spanish slasher style film from director Joe D'Amato(who directed Beyond the Darkness and Anthropophagus).

You might know this film under the other titles that it is known by when it was on vhs which I have it on vhs as Zombie 6: Monster Hunter(aka Absurd), Anthropophagus 2, and Rosso Sangue.

Well it finally has come out on dvd as Horrible and I enjoy this film alot. It stars George Eastman(from Anthropophagus) and Edmund Purdom(from Pieces). George Eastman also wrote the script for this film.

The film is about a deranged lunatic who has escaped from a monk's asylum where they did experiments on him and he can't die. He gets stabbed and shot and dies but then he comes back to life lol and there are some decent kills in this film too.

Here's a trailer for it under the title Absurd:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0LTBMIiNg[/youtube]

Re: Horrible - 1981

Yeah, that's a gory mother. I think Mya just released it as Absurd.

fredgarvin wrote:

Yeah, that's a gory mother. I think Mya just released it as Absurd.

No, it's released on Mya as the title Horrible lol. I'm looking at the dvd now lol.

Yeah, Mya released it under Horrible, which I don't quite understand, as Absurd is the title it's most well-known under. But hey, I really shouldn't be complaining, as it's finally out on DVD.

I really liked the movie. It's got some great gore sequences.

Bad thing about the dvd is that there's no good special features on it but I'm not complaining cause it's finally out on dvd lol.

I need to see this one.

Twisted and gory little fucker form the past.

I think this is thee best film he ever made.

It's definitely one of my favorites. The girl at the end takes a beating, but just keeps coming.

What is the deal with Italian films being released under about 23 different titles?!?!?!

Don't think I saw this one though, under any name.

^Several different distributors will release it under different names to appeal to different audiences or because they think it will boost sales.

Oh, I know that, but it is 10X worse with Italian films then, say, France or Britain.    They must have (or really, had) an odd distribution system over there.  It calmed down a lot after the 80s.  Though the 'Zombi/Zombie' fiasco still flourishes.

wonderlust wrote:

certainly one of 'em - I like it far better than Antropophagus
my fave of D'Amato's is probably Buio Omega aka Beyond The Darkness

It's a pretty cool slasher movie. Love the drill through the head scene smile

^It had its moments, the ending was pretty good.  Though I would have to say that my favorite part was the Superbowl party at the neighor's house where all in attendance wore evening wear, the dudes in suits and the chics in nice dresses.  And what was served at this all American shin-dig?  Why spaghetti of course!  lol

deadhorse13 wrote:
wonderlust wrote:

certainly one of 'em - I like it far better than Antropophagus
my fave of D'Amato's is probably Buio Omega aka Beyond The Darkness

Oh yes, yes. Buio Omega slipped my mind....watch with me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_w1jGJZRUc

Like looking at a Monet! Beautiful. big_smile

I didnt care much for for it, but i'll give it another try. I do remember some pretty good gory parts though.

azathoth wrote:

Oh, I know that, but it is 10X worse with Italian films then, say, France or Britain.    They must have (or really, had) an odd distribution system over there.  It calmed down a lot after the 80s.  Though the 'Zombi/Zombie' fiasco still flourishes.

From studies I've done, a lot of American audiences were put off by any dubbing or anyone that wasn't American, say they had a different accent for example. So distributors would make new trailers under different names and sell it to the North American crowd. It's sort of similar how they would usually cast British or American actors in the lead, so other countries would actually go see it.

This is aka Anthropophagus II, yes?

I saw an edited version way back in the early 90s.  Didn't interest me enough to see it in its uncut entirety. hmm

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-08-03 18:35:30)

^You are correct, Lon. It is indeed, although it's about as much of a sequel to Anthropophaugs as Halloween 3 is to Halloween 2.