Topic: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

I rated PA with 8 skulls and Saw with 7. Personally, I believe "Saw VI" was better than IV and V, but it should've been the last of the series. It does deliver the gory goods, but the formula is already old. As far as "Paranormal", I don't think it met up to the hype, but it was kind of creepy. Overall, "The Blair Witch Project" was a better movie. There are much better horror films than either one. However, if you wanted to see them both, but only had money for one, I'd say flip a coin. If ghost stories are your thing (that leaves much to the imagination), than "Paranormal", but if you want pure visceral, gory filmmaking, "Saw VI" will satisfy your appetite.

Last edited by alex1176 (2009-10-25 19:05:40)

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

I haven't seen Saw 6. But theres no way it can even compare to PA.

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

Paranormal Activity no doubt! big_smile

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

I just don't get the paranormal thing. Do people really love that stuff and believe in it? I hate to sound negative, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

I like the concept of both movies...but I'm all for new ideas and concetps and ideas being presented...however, I have to say I enjoyed SAW VI more than Paranomal. SAW VI, after the storytelling aspect of the fifth installment, went back to the tried and true formula as to what brought them to the dance...the traps and the story.

On the same token, I agree with Alex to a certain degree when he said "Personally, I believe "Saw VI" was better than IV and V, but it should've been the last of the series. It does deliver the gory goods, but the formula is already old."

I myself was a bigger fan of II and III more than the others in the series..II because of the interaction of Jigsaw and Det. Matthews and III because I liked how the father of the  child who was killed from the hit and run accident had to go through all the trials of finding out who killed his child...really heart wrenching actually...but there is only so much of a story you can tell before you run out of ideas and start watering down the product. Tobin Bell's character Jigsaw was officially dead and there arre only so many flashbacks you can use to supplement the story...I wholehearedtly agree that this sixth installment, from a logial storyline standpoint, made sense and tied up all of the loose ends that needed to be tied up...now the fact that there is going to be a seventh one, in 3D...ugh...I'm not sure I can be THAT loyal to something that is changing what brought up my interest in the first place, that being that it was something new, fresh and innovative.. It seems the big gimmick now is 3D and  seems to be the "in" thing...unfortunately, that was not why I was interested and I don't believe it is going to help to keep my interest in any sort of way...too bad..


hahaha...1400 posts!!!! I am now the bringer of death lol

Last edited by joe91074 (2009-10-29 21:22:08)

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

i havent seen either, but i dont think they can be put in the same boat


SAW for fools that want to continue getting lost in the stupid neverending SAW plot
heaps better gore movies out there...

PA - i think it will be creepy if you allow yourself to believe in spirits and demons - otherwise you would watch thinking "this is fkn gay, wheres the violence n gore?"

me - i am a gorefiend and i like demons an spirits... so im hoping PA gives me some sort of chills - SAW would just piss me off

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

ZOMBlE wrote:

i havent seen either, but i dont think they can be put in the same boat


SAW for fools that want to continue getting lost in the stupid neverending SAW plot
heaps better gore movies out there...

PA - i think it will be creepy if you allow yourself to believe in spirits and demons - otherwise you would watch thinking "this is fkn gay, wheres the violence n gore?"

me - i am a gorefiend and i like demons an spirits... so im hoping PA gives me some sort of chills - SAW would just piss me off

I agree that SAW and Paranomal cannot be put in the same boat...that would be like comparing apples and oranges...one deals with a twisted storyline of traps, which do include scenes of violence and gore, while another delves into the spititual aspect of ghosts and demons...both of which I enjoy.

I do take offense however to the "fool" aspect being used however...everyone's likes and dislikes are subjective...your dislike for SAW does not make you a fool for possibly liking Paranomal if you allow yourself to get wrapped up in the film nor does my preference for SAW make you a fool for wanting to allow yourself to be creeped out by ghosts and spirits.

Personally, I look for certain aspects in every film I choose to watch and perhaps enjoy...one does not have to have violence and gore for me to enjoy it. I also am not saying that I am totally disengaged by Paranomal...I'm saying that with all of the hype surrounding the release of the film, initially a limited release which them went on to make over $60 million, it just didn't seem to do anything for me in particular, and in my opinion, would have been better served on a cable platform such as the Discovery Channel or something like that. Perhaps if the ending wasn't what it was, my opinion would have changed more postively.

In no way was I looking for violence or gore in Paranomal. It just seemed to have so much of a documentary feel to it, that it didn't feel, at least to me, in my opinion, a picture having to be released in theatres...of course, I'm not the producer of this film and I didn't make $60 million, so that it is why I stress this is only an opinion and not someone who was bored because he didn't hapen to see any blood or gore. I simply was bored by the documentary aspect, though it picked up steam when the "paranomal  activity" began to show itself. Perhaps this "documentary feel" is what attracted hoades of happy movie goers, as I admit it DID have a sense of realism to it, which I overheard coming out of the theatre...the same success that Blair Witch had...the scariest thing someone can feel is that something can happen to them as it did to those whose in both of those films.

This opinion was generated by me in seeing both movies in back to back matinees last Sunday afternoon.

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

I liked Saw VI better, I kept falling asleep during Paranormal Activity

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

aceofspades70 wrote:

I just don't get the paranormal thing. Do people really love that stuff and believe in it? I hate to sound negative, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Naw, I think it is just a matter of personal preference, some people like it some don't.  Me, I loved PA, thought it was great.  I have not seen Saw VI yet, but given my feelings towards the first 5, I know that it is highly unlikely that I will like it more than I like PA.

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

tough call.

i'm gonna have to go with PA.

I love the SAW series and was very excited and pleased with VI...

but PA caught me off guard. caught a screening of it before it got all hyped and was just totally shocked by it. the title is pretty weak (although not as bad as a lot of other screening titles I've seen).

My vote goes to PA. I don't remember the last time a movie gave me actual chills. and this happened more than once during that movie.

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

joe91074 wrote:
ZOMBlE wrote:

i havent seen either, but i dont think they can be put in the same boat


SAW for fools that want to continue getting lost in the stupid neverending SAW plot
heaps better gore movies out there...

PA - i think it will be creepy if you allow yourself to believe in spirits and demons - otherwise you would watch thinking "this is fkn gay, wheres the violence n gore?"

me - i am a gorefiend and i like demons an spirits... so im hoping PA gives me some sort of chills - SAW would just piss me off

I do take offense however to the "fool" aspect being used however...everyone's likes and dislikes are subjective...your dislike for SAW does not make you a fool for possibly liking Paranomal if you allow yourself to get wrapped up in the film nor does my preference for SAW make you a fool for wanting to allow yourself to be creeped out by ghosts and spirits.

sorry mang... thats your own fault for taking offense to pathetic shit like the word "fool"

i tried to allow myself to be 'creeped' out by paranormal activity - but it didnt give me enough and the ending was... foolish

to conclude.... both these movies are fkn lame and a waste of quality time

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

ZOMBlE wrote:
joe91074 wrote:
ZOMBlE wrote:

i havent seen either, but i dont think they can be put in the same boat


SAW for fools that want to continue getting lost in the stupid neverending SAW plot
heaps better gore movies out there...

PA - i think it will be creepy if you allow yourself to believe in spirits and demons - otherwise you would watch thinking "this is fkn gay, wheres the violence n gore?"

me - i am a gorefiend and i like demons an spirits... so im hoping PA gives me some sort of chills - SAW would just piss me off

I do take offense however to the "fool" aspect being used however...everyone's likes and dislikes are subjective...your dislike for SAW does not make you a fool for possibly liking Paranomal if you allow yourself to get wrapped up in the film nor does my preference for SAW make you a fool for wanting to allow yourself to be creeped out by ghosts and spirits.

sorry mang... thats your own fault for taking offense to pathetic shit like the word "fool"

i tried to allow myself to be 'creeped' out by paranormal activity - but it didnt give me enough and the ending was... foolish

to conclude.... both these movies are fkn lame and a waste of quality time

excuse me there Zombie...but when you label a group of people and make judgements without actually having seen either film at the time you posted AND your post occurs just a half hour after mine...yeah, I thought it was an absent minded comment on your part to call those of us who follow the plot and storyline of the SAW franchise "fools." You may not have to agree with a point of view expressed, but that doesn't give you the right to call someone or a group of people something rude just because it is not something you choose to enjoy.

With that notwithstanding, in my opinion, I do agree with you that the ending that was used in theatres for PA was foolish...to me, it seemed to go against, or betray, the "realism" of the story that the film was trying to tell...used to just give one last spook to the viewing audience ... I thought the alternate ending would have held truer to the "realism" aspect of the story being told, but that's just my opinion and take on it...  Thinking back, the movie seemed to be a bit plodding, but really that's the whole idea I suppose...for the spirit to make it's presence known and then manifest itself as it gets angrier and angrier...and more  and more possessive of Katie...on the same token, I would not label those people "fools" that actually enjoyed the ending and the movie itself.

Last edited by joe91074 (2009-11-29 22:47:09)

Re: Paranormal Activity and Saw VI: which did you like better?

Two totally different catagories guys. Let me think!!!!!!!!......2 people sleeping with an unknown entity opening and closing the door VS blood,guts and brutality. No comparison.....my opinion only.