Re: Masters of Horror!!

Sorry everyone.  I checked Youtube last night and Imprint was removed cause it was placed there without permission.  Well...at least some of us Americans who were cheated out of seeing it on Showtime got to catch it before the end of the month.

Yea at least all of us that wanted to scope it out on here got to see it.. I knew it would be pulled down soon especially because the DVD is due out really soon..

I'm glad I got the opportunity to see that.  I still havent forgotten about the torture and fetus scenes.  Cant wait for the DVD to be released.  That and Sick Girl are ones I might have to buy.  Thanks again for sharing it with us golden.

I just recently watched Chocolate by Mick Garris.  To be honest, I was expecting much more from the creator of Masters of Horror.  You'd think his would be the most ballsy and out there, but it really wasnt.  In a way though, I was expecting it because his interpretation on Kubrick's The Shining was awful IMO.  I could barely sit threw it when it aired on the Sci-Fi channel.  I dont know, overall it wasnt as bad as what a lot of people were saying but I dont think its worth a buy.  So far, probrably my least favorite episode.  Mick Garris seems like a nice dude though.

I like Chocolate but not as much as the others.  It was horror like straight up it seemed more like a blend of drama and horror that works well I think.

Yea Mick Garris isn't really a "Master of Horror" in my book.. He really just got in because he created the idea. I don't think I've ever really liked any of his movies. The one that comes to mind for me is Riding the Bullet.. I wouldn't reccomend it..

I liked The Stand by Mick Garris.  It was probrably his best film IMO.  After seeing his Shining interpretation he just kinda went downhill in my mind.  Although, I wasnt to terribly let down with his MoH episode.

I liked The Stand and Sleepwalkers by him.  I cannot pass judgment on The Shining as I have yet to read the book and I prefer reading the book before watching the film.

Have you not seen the original Shining golden? If you watch the movie watch Kubricks first.. You want to see the superior one first..

I have only seen the "Here's Johnny" section of the film on youtube as I am a bit so-so on Kubrick.  I love Doctor Strangelove Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb but found Clockwork Orange boring and changing the channel to something else.

After I read the book I think I will check out Garris' version first as its apparently closer to King's novel.  Then I'll see Kubrick's version.  I only got about another 900 pages of Battlefield Earth.

Oh man.. Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies.. I actually was bored by Doctor Stranglove. It just seemed drawn out and rather bland.. Kubricks version of The Shining is a classic film..

I laughed my ass off with Strangelove, all the sublte humor and tones is very Cold War but it still works today.

"You can't fight in here this is the war room."  lol

A Clockwork Orange is a great movie.  It's also based off one of my favorite bands.  Kubrick's Shining is way better than Garris'.  I mean Jack Nicholson plays an outstanding Jack Torrence and his performance is award winning.

I agree Kubrick's The Shining is better. I love watching Nicholson go insane. Steven Weber just doesn't pull it off as good and man it's a long movie if watched in a single sitting.
Clockwork Orange is a great movie. I use to watch that alot and wore out my vhs tape and every chance I had I showed it to people. Some loved it, some hated it or didn't get it.

Yeah, the first time I saw Clockwork Orange it was a little hard for me to grasp.  But after the third or fourth view I began to enjoy it more and more.  It's a great film and its one of those movies that you need to watch more than once to fully understand, somewhat like Takashi Miike's Audition.

Yea if you like the movie read the book.. The movie actually left a chapter out where Alex grows up.. Really good stuff..

I started reading the book, but couldnt finish it.  It was a pretty long and hard read considering there was language that the author made up specifically for the story.  I had to turn to the back off the book to decode the words every ten seconds it felt like.

Heh yea.. I'd seen the movie so many times that I really didn't have that much trouble converting..

I have to be honest.  The first time I saw Joe Dante's Homecoming, I didnt get a chance to finish it all.  In fact, I only got to see like the first 10 minutes of it.  A while back though, I put it in my Netflix que and it somehow got placed before Dario Argento's Jennifer.  Regardless, I was glad that it came because I really enjoyed it a lot.  I actually found it pretty sad in a lot of places.  Cause' honestly, I share the same political views as portrayed in the film and I respect Joe Dante for putting it together the way he did.  A great addition to the MoH series.

TiM the Zombie wrote:

A Clockwork Orange is a great movie.  It's also based off one of my favorite bands.

OK TiM, I give up: what band was it based on?  I read the novel years ago but I can't figure who it may have been portraying.

To be honest, the band was based off of the film.  The band is The Adicts.  There really good old school "punk".

While I agreed with the whole message that Joe Dante was portraying I thought Homecoming was a little heavy handed with the message. I think it would have been much better if he did it more subtle like Romero did with his original trilogy.. Because lets face it there was nothing subtle about the message in Land..

I always thought the book was just based off of the punk culture.. Way back in the day. I use to know the ins and outs of that movie and the book but that was a long time ago..

Well I think a lot of bands like The Adicts, Clockwork, and Agent Orange were just big fans of the film Clockwork Orange and decided to write and play songs in debt to a great movie.  I mean, with songs like "smart boy alex" its pretty obvious.

aahhh, I'll have to check the Adicts out I guess!  Thanks TiM!

I can't remember when the book was published (turns out to be 1962), but it had to be some time before the movie.  The only other Anthony Burgess book I read was "Any Old Iron", which was pretty good (not horror related, more historical-fiction).

No problem at all Avanti.