Re: Favourite (Mainstream) Movie of 2009?

D9 - no humans allow - fuk off

Gran Torino was rad as well - clint eastwood is one of the best actors evers - i dont think anyone else can give me shivers by saying "Get off my lawn"

oh yeah - Drag me to Hell - was fukn sweet brraaahh - classic good times

Last edited by ZOMBlE (2009-11-24 22:10:51)

Gran Torino, Surveillance and Donkey Punch all come to mind
I'd include Tarantino's Basterds too, but I still haven't seen it yet dammit! wink

I'd forgotten about Gran Torino.  Fantastic movie.  I agree with Zombie, Eastwood is an amazing actor, not to mention an incredible director.  He's one of the few remaining great, historic filmmakers.  They just don't make them like him anymore.

LoudLon wrote:

I'd forgotten about Gran Torino.  Fantastic movie.  I agree with Zombie, Eastwood is an amazing actor, not to mention an incredible director.  He's one of the few remaining great, historic filmmakers.  They just don't make them like him anymore.

Agreed.

Boondock Saints 2!!!! it was freaking amazing. Just as good as the 1st in my opinion.

as soon as I wrote this I saw someone else put gran torino. I loved that movie definetly a favorite.

Last edited by asphyxxxia (2009-12-05 23:03:44)

Wasn't Gran Torino last year?  I could of swore it was up for Golden Globes and other awards last year..... 

As for this year, some non-horror films I have enjoyed:

INK
Moon
The Brothers Bloom
500 Days of Summer
Law Abiding Citizen
The Road
The Fantastic Mr Fox (likd it more then I liked Up)

I am going to add Star Trek to my list.  I'm not a Trek fan but this movie kicks so much ass, I just may become one.  Luckily I'm getting married lol

Haven't seen many, but I did like Transformers 2 and GI Joe.  I'm considering going to see Avatar in Imax 3D.  Also, Up was pretty good.  I'll probably have to go with Trans 2 so far.

I don't understand the hype with Avatar, I mean I'll see it, but the previews just don't grab me it looks like live action Smurfs with a little bit of action

Right now it's a tie between Inglorious Basterds and Where The Wild Things Are.

I'm complicated...

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

I don't understand the hype with Avatar, I mean I'll see it, but the previews just don't grab me it looks like live action Smurfs with a little bit of action

I saw Avatar last night and it was exactly what I expected: mind blowing effects and visuals and a super weak story line. If you're the slightest bit interested go see it in the theaters because once it's out on video without all of the 3D it is going to suck.

I would have to go with
Pontypool
Drag Me To Hell
INK
Taken
Gran Torino
and will prob. be adding District 9 to this list also, going to watch it on Christmas Eve

INK is the one movie I long to see. After seeing the trailer and hearing such good thoughts on the film, I really want to see this film. All in good time. smile

You will love it Hun, the ending is very touching smile

I heard wink if it makes me cry, dammit I will kick you morguey but in the nicest manner possible. tongue

It will BTK, trust me wink

Wait, there's movies besides horror?

jmh314 wrote:

Wasn't Gran Torino last year?  I could of swore it was up for Golden Globes and other awards last year.....

possibli... but did not see till half way through this year

Awards are a pile of crap, just like pro sports' "all-stars" or whatever.  Though sometimes they get them correct, usually is a big handjob fest.

bentheprop wrote:

As much as I loved Gran Torino, Watchmen and Taken, I have to go with Up for my favorite this year. It was just too much fun and the "silent movie" sequence showing their life together was way more touching than I had ever expected from a movie primarily aimed at kids.

Up was pretty amazing. I can't honestly say my eyes didn't mist up at one or two points in the theatre. Pixar is tops.

My fav non-horror movie from 2009 is probably Sherlock Holmes. Star Trek and Watchmen were both fun, too. I also enjoyed Moon. I wish I'd seen District 9 and Inglourious Basterds. I honestly need to get to the theatres more.

I would like to add District 9 to my list, watched it twice on the weekend, love every min. of it, bloody amazing film smile

Agreed ^^ !! big_smile That movie surprised me, special effects aside it was actually rather tender for a sci-fi film. The ending really touched me. Overhyped maybe but definitely worth seeing smile

I just saw a few yesterday and one of them stood out so much it's in my top three for the year.  (500) Days of Summer....such a great! movie.  So that one, Where the Wild Things Are and Zombieland are my all star movies of the year

District 9, followed by Avatar... and not so mainstream "Ink."

-deadmanwalkin

Still have to see INK, waiting to see that is driving me considerably insane. lol