Topic: A Nightmare On Elm St. 1984 vs 2010

Here's a youtube with both greenband trailers - 2010 followed by 1984.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZH0AU8rczU[/youtube]

I've read the NEW NIGHTMARE script, and I must say (as much as I love to hate Michael Bay and co) it's pretty damn tight.

Re: A Nightmare On Elm St. 1984 vs 2010

It's too early for me to compare the two movies, but I can compare the images I see in the two trailers.

In the remake it strikes me that the character of Freddy Krueger may actually be innocent of the crimes he's been accused of and in the end dies for.  I like that it adds to the tragedy of the character, but I think I prefer the non-repentant Freddy of the original.

I like the make-up on the new Freddy.  It looks more realistic yet somehow retains the flavor of the original. 

I think Jackie Earle Hailey is a fantastic actor and will do the role justice.

The new trailer doesn't really sell me on the movie, but then I'm not the target audience, not really.  I'm going to see it anyway.

I think the old trailer was more effective.

I'm looking forward to the remake.

Last edited by sMart (2009-10-17 10:38:03)

I'm too much of a traditionalist. I cannot for the life of me see someone playing Freddy Krueger other than Robert Englund, so I will purposely go out of my way to avoid seeing this remake, just as I have done with the Halloween and Friday the 13th remakes as well.

joe91074 wrote:

I'm too much of a traditionalist. I cannot for the life of me see someone playing Freddy Krueger other than Robert Englund, so I will purposely go out of my way to avoid seeing this remake, just as I have done with the Halloween and Friday the 13th remakes as well.

But the halloween and friday the 13 remakes are both realy good lol so you are being silly for not watching it just because the old ones are good if you watch the remakes and dont like it you can still watch the old ones again lol

You know what, I am actually looking forward to this remake. Soley for the fact that the originals were made with a B-movie candor. The new movie actually has the feel of HORROR and I think it will be a real pleasures to see ANOES treated in such a way!

yeah the whole Robet Englund not playing freddy is shitty. I also felt the same way about Heath Ledger repacing Jack Nickolson's joker. We all know how that turned out!

Considering I've seen approximately three horror remakes in my life that were better than the original I'm gonna guess the '84 version will be far superior to the remake.  Pretty safe bet.

Last edited by mdc666 (2009-10-23 10:30:59)

I'm thinking that for the first time, Platinum Dunes may surprise us with a remake that's actually good.  Granted, I'm going solely on the trailer and the appearances of Hailey and one of my favorite character actors, Clancy Brown.  But from what I'm seeing, this one stands a good chance.

LoudLon wrote:

I'm thinking that for the first time, Platinum Dunes may surprise us with a remake that's actually good.  Granted, I'm going solely on the trailer and the appearances of Hailey and one of my favorite character actors, Clancy Brown.  But from what I'm seeing, this one stands a good chance.

I agree i think this one will be as good as rob zombies halloween and friday the 13th remakes.

I'm an old school guy and I'm not the biggest fan of remakes...I saw the piss poor House of Wax remake, though I DID like The Amityville Horror remake from 2005, so there are exceptions to every rule...but far and few between for me...ESPECIALLY with Freddy being played by someone other than Robert Englund...no way in hell now...I will continue to purposely avoid this and all others...have purposely avoided both Halloween remakes and the Friday the 13th...and the other countless ones upcoming, like Child's Play...god damn...enough already...something...ANYTHING...original...

alright...well..enough of me on my soapbox...before Hollywood remakes that too...1984 version hands down...without question for me

Glad you mentioned Amityville. I had low expectations for that because pretty boy Ryan Reynolds was in it.  I had low expectations for The Dark Knight because before the Joker, Heath Ledger's claim to fame was a gay cowboy.  We as fans have the problem of judging before we see.  The Dark Knight's Joker was the best rendition ever.  Ryan Reynolds was a lot better than James Brolin.  Whose to say that Haley won't be better than Englund.....no one until the movie is released.  Englund has never done any other stand out roles.  Haley was nominated for an Oscar for Little Children, in which he plays a freak.  We saw how violent he got in Watchmen.  I have a good feeling about this one

I hated that Amityville remake, it took me a long time to like Ryan Reynolds after that. I'm looking forward to the new ANOES though because I love the Nightmare movies and even if it's not one with Robert Englund sad Jackie Earle Haley would definitely be my choice of a new Freddy.

I still don't like Ryan Reynolds, lol.

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Glad you mentioned Amityville. I had low expectations for that because pretty boy Ryan Reynolds was in it.  I had low expectations for The Dark Knight because before the Joker, Heath Ledger's claim to fame was a gay cowboy.  We as fans have the problem of judging before we see.  The Dark Knight's Joker was the best rendition ever.  Ryan Reynolds was a lot better than James Brolin.  Whose to say that Haley won't be better than Englund.....no one until the movie is released.  Englund has never done any other stand out roles.  Haley was nominated for an Oscar for Little Children, in which he plays a freak.  We saw how violent he got in Watchmen.  I have a good feeling about this one

point well taken Gardenstone. I wasn't old enough to watch the original Amityville Horror (and actually still haven't to this day, surprisingly enough) so since a modern version was made, I figure I just go and see it...and actually was quite surprised on how good it actually was, in my opinion. I never saw Ryan Reynolds as anything more than a  two bit comedy actor on "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place." I was actually more surprised on how well he buffed up for the role as well as how well he pulled off playing a psycho. Following that, he did the film "Waiting..." and went back to comedy... a film of which I absolutely laughed my ass off at btw lol...

I suppose I take offense both to the amount of remakes that Hollywood is churning out...at such a rapid pace...and the fact that I actually grew up in the 1980's and either was around when these original films were made or actually watched them. I imagine I might have a different take on the situation if I was 25 instead of 35 like I am now and wasn't all that familiar with the original film...or perhaps I just think the originals were such a successful film or franchise by themselves and just can't see wasting time trying to improve on something that was so originally successful in the first place. Thinking about it, I blame Rob Zombie....he made it cool to remake Halloween...now every film is up for grabs...it's like what the hell happened to originality...

so I suppose Jackie Earle Haley (who I don't even know) could be as good...but why even try is the question I'm asking...to me it makes no difference whether an actor has acted in other roles or what have you...every role is different...and Robert was successfull at playing Freddy...and he made a ton of money doing it too

of course, this is just all my opinion and my take on the situation...doesn't make me wrong or right...I just am stubborn and stuck in my ways I guess...

What gets me....after I wrote that last night, I started thinking about other remakes.  There has been a Freaky Friday and Parent Trap remake and not much more beyond that.  No one has remade Casablanca or Gone With The Wind....and why?  Horror remakers use the excusee they are such huge fans of the original and want to give their own take....are there no fans of any other genre?  I say they remake The Wizard of Oz

I totally agree with Garden on his last post. As for the remakes, I have nothing against them. I believe that it could be possible for the 2010's to be better than the original. We have to wait to judge though as it is too soon yet.

I suppose if it was more the exception more than the rule, I would be more understanding about remaking movies...but c'mon...all of the big horror movies are being remade...we've all seen the Friday the 13th and the Halloween movies being remade...now the upcoming NOES and even Child's Play...I mean , what the hell happned to originality???...is Hollywood that hard up for cash and ideas that they have to remake successful franchises or movies becuase original concepts can't be thought of or developed??? At least SAW was an original concept...which is what attracted me to the franchise in the first place...and yes, I realize six of them were made and a seventh next year...so the proverbial cash cow has been cashed in long ago...but at least it was ORIGINAL... and even Paranomal Activity, which borrowed some concepts that made the Blair Witch successful, was at least an ORIGINAL premise by a first time director made on a shoe string budget....now THAT's a sucess story...remakes seem to be more than the norm now more than the exception, which is what I have a problem with...

and speaking of other genres, this sudden interest in riding on the coattails of sucessful movies is not just segregated to the horror genre...now even Roger Rabbit is being remade!!!!  I mean, when the hell does it stop???...I understand being a fan...but isn't that what grad students in filmmaking do to show their appreciation for a film? If everyone showed their appreciation the way they are now, the movies that were once classics will be a thing of the past because the movie going masses out there..the new generations of movie goers who get together on a Fri or Saturday night and go to see these films...they are the demographic being targeted by the big movie studios...and the people fitting these demographics, from what I've read and from younger people than myself that I've actually talked to, know nothing of the originals that preceded these remakes...which is a damn shame, in my opinion...becuase if it wasn't for the originality of those movies, nothing today could be taken advantage of and be remade...and heaven forbid...original concepts would ACTUALLY have to be thought out...

I personally think that no one has the balls to go out and try to remake such classics as Gone With the Wind and the Wizard of Oz, in my opinion...simply because horror is not as mainstream as other genres, so, in my opinion, the fan base  just accepts and expects people to just go with the flow and watch anything put in front of them... however, in my opinion, the backlash for film makers even attempting to remake mainstream classics would be so incredible, that I'm positive that fans of those movies and others would honest to God actually protest their development on message boards around the world and picket openings if they actually were made..

I saw a post that Black Tequila Kiss made on another post about remaking the Wolfman..that if 50% of remakes didn't actually suck, fans of these movies wouldn't have a problem with them...I woudl go a step further, as I've mentioned before, that if original concepts were actuallty thought out, produced and actually released instead of sitting on a studio's shelf for years like Paranomal was, remaking every film that was previously successsful wouldn't be the par for the course that it is now, in my opinion.

So let NOES be remade...I could care less...I was loyal to the original franchise becuase of the acting of Robert Englund and the originality of the franchise back when it was originally released...my $11 (or $7 for a matinee) will be saved for something worth my while that is original...not watching someone that has to try to fill the shoes of someone before him, in my opinion.

Last edited by joe91074 (2009-11-07 15:39:50)

Wolfenstein wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

I agree i think this one will be as good as rob zombies halloween and friday the 13th remakes.

Even though Robert Englund's Freddy will ALWAYS creep me out, I want to see how this new one give me the willies.

If Jackie Earle Haley had not been in Watchmen people would be like "why the fuck did he get the role". But since he was Rorschach suddenly it's the greatest hire ever. lol All the guy had to do was don a mask and copy Bales annoying deep raspy batman voice, now suddenly he's a great actor.

Way to early for me to compare the two.  Then again, I hope they are different.  I've seen Wes Craven's version, so seeing something different would be nice.

Don't like the new glove neutral

T  I  N  A  ! ! ! ! ! lol lol lol lol

No one is Freddy except Robert Englund. Remaking every great movie today is sick.

MacheteMassacre wrote:

Way to early for me to compare the two.  Then again, I hope they are different.  I've seen Wes Craven's version, so seeing something different would be nice.

Completely agree. That's what I look for in every remake. Something new and different that's added to the story. Because what's the point of seeing a film remade that's exactly like the orignal?

I'm looking forward to this remake. Hopefully it lives up to it's hype.