Re: Which french flick is better?

EasterBunnyKiller wrote:

But alas, what ruined the movie was the fact that even though it was supposed to be the same person, we as the audience were shown the alter ego unattached to the body it was supposed to inhabit.

Ah, but if Aja showed the alter ego attached to the body it was supposed to inhabit, then there would have been no need for the ending.  The audience would have know from the BJ scene that she was the killer.
Look, I am not defending Aja or the movie.  I merely posed a hypothetical question to Maven, what if you interpreted that BJ scene this way?  Would that make the ending any more paletable for you?  I still really enjoyed the movie despite its faults.  And yes the ending was very predictable.  But if you notice my list, High Tension is at the bottom. big_smile

Martyrs is a modern day exorcist but with imaginary demons

cool

Last edited by Horrorshow (2009-12-15 03:41:28)

Horrorshow wrote:

Martyrs is a modern day exorcist but with imaginary demons

That explains why I wasn't overly impressed with it!

Well, I liked all those movies.  But...

Martyrs I liked because it made me think -- but ultimately it made me think about how illogical it was.  Still a good flick, but not the be all-end all folks made it out to be.

Frontier(s) -- really good thriller, plenty of grue, well acted

Haute Tension -- loved this flick.  Loved the twist, loved the theme, loved the violence.

But my favorite of the four would be...

Inside.  GREAT villain (though maybe you won't see her as a "villain" come the finale), super splattery, very tight (if sparse) story, excellent performances, fantastic twist.  My current favorite French genre flick.

People should track down the French film Hellphone. It's like a French Idle Hands but good. lol

i haven't seen Frontiers yet but as for the other three i'd have to go with:
1. Haute Tension: love the pace of this movie, the kill scene’s were great. I had to ask myself some questions when it was all over:
a) Was she asleep when the headless head scene happened, a dream?
b) Can some one with split personality disorder believe they’re driving two vehicle at once?
c) If I’m cool with Fight club, that spells the ending out for you. Should I really have a hard time with a movie that makes me think?
2. Inside: Has such a great set up and it keeps you guessing for a good amount of time. Lots of craziness.
3. Martyrs: Was great from at the first but lost steam coming on to the end, and I’m still wondering what she said at the end.

For the scariest scenes in Martyrs in HD, watch at

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thegroundissour

Brotherhood of the Wolf.

So far ive seen Inside and Martyrs. Although i thought both were very overhyped, Inside gets my vote hands down.

mothermayhem wrote:

Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Nice to know, someone other than me appreciates this little gem. I loved this film from first viewing but don't see much love for it, nice to know I am not the only one who adores this film mothermayhem smile

I thought all of them were great movies......they all moved me in different ways.

What the hell are GRITS!!!!!!, Is it some kind of southern food....... just wondering cool

I offer Sheitan as a better alternative to all of them...

Grits....hmmm I'm not sure what exactly they are I think they are just wheat germ or ground up corn that you cook and serve with butter and sugar. MMMMM grits, haven't had those in a while.

Far as the french movies are concerned I can only speak for Martyrs, High Tension and Inside. They were all great movies but I think Martyrs and High Tension are pretty much even just on different levels. The psychological aspect of Martyrs was amazing and bat shit crazy chick in High Tension was great although upon watching it a few times it didn't seem like the story added up in certain parts. But that's just me.

INSIDE -

is the ultimate horror slasher movie experience - if you love horror, violence, touchy subjects and gore (if your a propa horror cxnt) this is the #1 horror film

end of the discussion

the rest are good - but for straight up horrorific entertainment - INSIDE ftw

Martyrs is best the first time you watch it - gets boring the second time - especially after the first chick blasts all the family away - theres nothing else worth hangin around for

Frontier(s) is awesome, i could watch that a number of times, too drawn out compared to inside though

High Tension is an awesome psycho/slasher/thriller - but still not enough action compared to INSIDE

INSIDE

Maybe I just need to watch INSIDE again but I thought that it was pretty good just not that great, but then again I wasn't really feeling it the first time I watched it. Maybe this time around I'll have a new perspective on it.

people asking questions about Haute Tension

please stop wasting your time typing up pointless questions

your not meant to understand shit in that film - your meant to think there is a dude killing everyone, because your watching it from the main girls perspective - she is mentally insane - she doesnt understand what is happening and neither should you

so people asking all these stupid questions about driving two cars at once n shit.... shut the fuk up and stop trying finger the fuck outta the movie.. its not meant to have all the answers

just like district 9 - alot of people crying about plot holes - if all those questions n shit were pointed out for you and answered - we'd be sitting through a 5 hour fkn movie explaining all these little questions for cxnts that cant think for themselves

^^ This I can agree with. There are several movies (horror & non) where people keep asking questions about the movie. Sometimes the directors don't want us to know, ergo the final conversation in Martyrs. Not everything makes sense and when it does, not all questions are answered. That's why they are movies if all the answers were known all that would happen is people would start complaining the point of it. Prefer not knowing everything in a movie. smile

Oh I agree with you on the fact that people are going to bitch regardless, people are going to complain just to complain. Inconsistencies in plot story is just one of those things you have two options  you can either accept and move on with your life or you can dwell on it and look like a retard. Sad to put it that way but its true. Yes there are inconsistencies in High Tension or Haute Tension whichever you prefer but you can either accept it or not. Just saying.

yeah true that - the same can be said for anything in life

its one opinion over the other

im still going to argue and abuse them for fun

Haha I hear ya

Not on the list but Zombie Lake.  Hoo-ya!

i vote for inside because it s pure horror

Haute Tension gets my vote, I thoroughly enjoyed Frontiers and Inside, and thought Martyrs was just 'ok'

my new absouletly  french movie is mutants such a good zombie movie
haute tension i have problems with i mean it is scary but is it horror always thought that like a thriller:)