Topic: Favorite American Remake of a Foreign Film

What are your favorite American remakes of a FOREIGN film. For me high on the list would be The Grudge which creeped me out big time and QUARANTINE. Both were awesome. What would be on your list?

Re: Favorite American Remake of a Foreign Film

Whoa! I didn't know Quarantine was a remake! Learned something interesting today. smile
I'm not sure that I've seen many remakes of foreign films though..

I would have to say The Ring. I actually thought it was better than the original and it creeped me out the first time I saw it.

The Creature wrote:

Whoa! I didn't know Quarantine was a remake! Learned something interesting today. smile
I'm not sure that I've seen many remakes of foreign films though..

its a remake of REC ... both are great films. And THE RING also creeped me out good call on that one.

I have yet to see REC also. Damn I have so many films I need to find and watch. LOL.

you and me both bro its never easy to keep up.

agree with The Ring & Quarantineand i agree with Suspiria and say the Amercian Ring was better than the original. Another one i enjoyed but haven't seen the original is "Shutter".

I enjoyed The Ring, I enjoyed Quarantine....I did not enjoy Rec and I did not enjoy Ringu, lol.  I'm going to have to say Shutter is my favorite American remake.

That is a hard question for me... since I personally think they botched most of the remakes completely. Quarantine was effective and pretty much a shot for shot English remake, so I can give it props. But overall, American cinema ruins the nuances and tone that European and Asian horror films often present. I think it is like eating Chinese food.... once you've been to China and had the real thing your neighborhood "Golden Wok" or "Dragon Inn" just doesn't taste as good or authentic as the real thing.

I'm a purist I guess. Thumbs down all around for remakes. Even the best remakes ever made don't do for me what the originals did. *shrugs* I guess that makes me an elitist douche bag. Oh well, I know what I like. I like my beer from the tap, my milk from the tit, and my horror from the original director and country of origin.

Mistress pats Dr Pepper on the back..... Good post Dr .....

Personally I liked the Ring and Quarantine..  Yes the originals were excellent, but sometimes for me the subtitles can be a bit distracting and take me out of the illusion of the movie

I'm going to have to go with the Ring, Grudge, Quarantine, and Pulse.  The originals were all fine films, but just didn't vibe with my (western?) sensibilities as much as the originals.

I'm waiting for an American version of Zombie Lake.... would be awesomeness squared into infinity!

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt225/hyperioninstitute/PurpleInfinity.jpg

I have yet to see Quarantine. I saw REC two years ago. Bought Quarantine and for some reason, I can't seem to get in the mood to watch it.

As for remakes of foreign films..... I can't seem to think of any that were actually really good. Some were okay... but actually good... Can't think of any.

I actually found Quarantine spookier than [REC].  Give it a shot and see what you think.

Doctor_Pepper wrote:

That is a hard question for me... since I personally think they botched most of the remakes completely.

Word.

Not horror, but Magnificent Seven was a fantastic westernization of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

american usually make lower movies when they try to make a remake..perhaps the ring is the only exception

Remakes of Korean movies are even worse.

I going go with The Ring and The uninvited (i still can't believe that i told everyone not see it and i was one who went to see at the end lol because i was bored, it was good remake)

Hmm, haven't seen uninvited yet.

the uninvited is a good one.

Then I shall get on your opinion.  You have the good taste.

Oh, do you get the take down letters for what us posters write and/or post of vids?  Or is it more just the news stuff.  I don't want to give you heartburn for putting up info.

true..the uninvited is a good one...but no so good as the ring

I like foreign films just the way they are. It really takes away Americanizing remakes.
The Ring is a good example though. I enjoyed it and was really creeped out by it.

I still want an American Zombie Lake!  Can you imagine Hollywood screwing up something as bad as Zombie Lake?  It would be Ed Woodian.  Or the end of the universe, take your pick.

For horror , yet to see uninvited , american remakes tends to explain things more clearly than their original asian counterparts.

Non-horror but they were good

True Lies lol , it was a american remake of a french movie "La Totale". Arnold does it far better though.

The departed was a very good remake of the hong kong triad movie "infernal affairs"

Shall we dance? was an american remake of a japanese movie by the same name

Last edited by fmvgamer (2010-01-23 09:56:07)

Not shabby