Re: Favorite American Remake of a Foreign Film

Mines Shutter. amazing film.

FkIN MW

wow fmv i had no friggin idea that True Lies was a remake.

Basically remakes are not my kind of thing... but they got away with The Ring and The Grudge, they're not bad.

Meh wrote:

It is?

myersfan72 wrote:
Meh wrote:

It is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Totale_!

your  a fountain of knowledge FMV .... stop holding back all the cool info smile

Meh wrote:

your  a fountain of knowledge FMV .... stop holding back all the cool info smile

Heh , will do. cool lol

Suspiria_89 wrote:

I would have to say The Ring. I actually thought it was better than the original and it creeped me out the first time I saw it.

I second that Sus .

I thought Universal's remake of Nosferatu, called Dracula, starring Bela Lugosi, was a good un.

hmmm quarantine was fkn bad - the characters are fkn retarded compared to the superiour original spanish film - the original is far more realistic and far less irritating

i dont care for retarded american remakes of already quality films - they can remake old out dated shit like The Crazies - fuck the original is cheese, good story though, graphics n actors are fukt but

Not horror but one for me is Twelve Monkeys. smile I think that was a great remake. Maybe not as good as the original but still... compared to most remakes, a lot better big_smile

Have to add, Last House on the Left, original. With tones familiar to The Virgin Springs, it was apparently inspiration. The original really was a stark representation but a solid film nonetheless smile

the supernatural nods in [REC] made it far more chilling to me than the rabies slant given to Quarantine, although it does stand as one of the better American remakes. I can totally get on board The Ring, however - Verbinski made that his own IMO - very surprising.
Funny Games was nearly as effective as the original, however the recognizable factor of its players still give the former an edge.

I think Quarantine is one of few remakes I refuse to see, I cannot see how it tops the original predecessor. If it's a shot for shot remake a la Psycho, The Omen I really have no interest. Rarely are they good and even when so, if it's too linked to the original source why see another version of what you already have?

But then... that's just me.

Quarantine tries to add more depth to the characters in an extended set-up (which works fine btw) and then follows the original closely till the final reels which, as I mentioned previously, give the infection a scientific slant which I find less titillating.  True, in many ways it's unnecessary but still stands as an enjoyable film.

Incidentally I can't wait to see what [REC] 2 has in store for us - the rare sequel that actually has me salivating at its prospects.

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2010-02-07 23:05:36)

^^ Same here big_smile. I guess I'm not a fan of foreign to american remakes. I've used subtitles all my life. From 6 years old I've had hearing problems consistently so grew up using subs, it's why I can watch a foreign movie no problem. Might have to give Quarantine a whirl though to see what it is like. If I don't like it... I'll be hunting you down Deady tongue

Fair enuff  wink
No need to get in a rush or anything - but do give it a chance between your upteenth viewing of Killer Klowns or Jack Frost for instance lol

Oh shush tongue those are campy cheesy classics, they are in a league of their own lol but will give it a rent at some point, certainly in no rush but see it cheap enough... and as to Jack Frost... it has Shannon Elizabeth, semi nude, wrestling a snowman. THAT is genius! tongue

Although its not a movie my vote goes for Kingdom hospital, the Dannish original  "Hospitalet" was good, but in my opinion Kingdom hospital had more of an edge to it smile

The ring great movie, havent seen Ringu or REC, but Quarantine was good.

I myself thought The Grudge was a good remake  But Takashi Shimizu was at the helm so thats not surprising.....but it all went to crap from there.

As stated in my top ten forror films from 2009, The Echo was a great remake of...The Echo (sometimes titled Sigaw).  lol

While more thriller, The Vanishing is a pretty good remake of a dutch film.

I admit, I was skeptical about The Uninvited just becuase I like A Tale of Two Sisters so much.  The Uninvited was no where near on that high of a level, but it was decent despite the changes to the story.

And one last one but this is a bit of a curveball as it is a Korean remake of a japanese movie: The Black House.  The Japanese version came out in the late 90's and the korean version in the late 00's, the Korean version was a lot better and a pretty solid film.  Althought, the Japanese version was adapted from a book, so both are basically different adaptations of the same source material.  lol

I liked the American version of Pulse better than then Japanese version.

The 'Last House on the Lef't which was a remake of Ingmar Bergman's 'The Virgin Spring', 'The Ring', and 'Funny Games'.

The Ring
Quarantine
The Grudge

I'd also say Quarantine over [REC].  Just my (tailed) opinion.