Topic: Two Huge movies are going head to head and The WAR is on :)

Last year Halloween VS The Final Destination war with TFD Won (but still was really poor movie)

And you thought the Halloween II / The Final Destination battle was good.... the war between Paramount Pictures and Lionsgate has officially begun - and it's positioning itself to be EPIC. As many of you know, Saw VI director Kevin Greutert was attached to get behind the camera for Paranormal Activity 2. Paramount furthered the attack by placing the sequel head-to-head with Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures' Saw VII 3D on October 22. If last year was any indication, Paranormal definitely had the upper hand in the competition, a battle that hadn't really begun until now. Lionsgate has thrown a VIOLENT blow back at Paramount by exercising an option that has forced Greutert to head back to Toronto for the seventh Saw film instead of showing off his talents in Paranormal 2. It wasn't his decision as he's now officially a casualty of war. David Hackl on the other hand, he'll be moving over to an unnamed Lionsgate project (thank God). Want more? Read on. Talk, talk, talk, talk, TALK. OMFG.

The following comes courtesy of Deadline:

"It's a move that ratchets up the rivalry between Paramount and Lionsgate for Halloween 2010 dominance. Saw franchise partners Twisted Pictures and Lionsgate have just exercised an option and installed Saw VI director Kevin Greutert as director of Saw 3D, the seventh volume of the fright series. That blocks Paramount, which had hired Greutert to direct Paranormal Activity 2. Both films are set for release on October 22nd, and the move came after Paramount set that date. Meanwhile Twisted Pictures, which held an option on the director from back when he helmed Saw VI, bumped previously announced Saw 3D director David Hackl, who directed Saw V and who will be assigned another film quickly, sources tell me. Both directors have been involved in the Saw films from the beginning. The rivalry between the films began last fall, when Paramount's sleeper hit Paranormal Activity bloodied Twisted/Lionsgate's Saw VI at the box office en route to a $150 million worldwide gross on a $15,000 budget. It will be interesting to see how Paramount responds. But I like this battling a lot."

I was a pretty big fan of Kevin Greutert's work in the sixth Saw, which is why I'm excited to see him back for the seventh film. But in all honesty, I would have really enjoyed to see what he could have done in a completely different sub-genre with Paranormal 2. I think this is such a dick move by Twisted Pictures/Lionsgate, especially at the expense of Kevin, but this makes for some good PR.

Damned if I can't wait to see how Paramount strikes back -- if they even need to. STAY TUNED THERE IS MORE TO THIS STORY TO COME!

Got this Blood disguting.

Who side are YOU on
Are you going to see  SAW7  IN 3D ?
or are you see Paranormal Activity 2 ?
or see both the same day

but Who will win this WAR?

Last edited by BASSI (2010-01-27 08:57:47)

Re: Two Huge movies are going head to head and The WAR is on :)

Frankly, I'm with Saw. There's always something interesting happening in a SAw film, whereas I found Paranormal activity kind of slow. However, Paranormal activity made a shit load of money, so really it's anyone's game.

I love the Saw franchise so that's what I'll be going with.

Then we'll fight in the SHADE!

^ hey now, I was supposed to say that

Both will suck.

Saw has more entertainment value for me, so im with saw.

Not seen saw since SAW 3 , i need catch up on Saw series.

To fucking hard to chosse, i can't choose if had to i will pick Paranormal Activity 2

It is probably a case of the media making moutain out of a mole hill.  It was kind of a shitty thing to do to both of the directors involved, but they did have him under contract so they had every right to do what they did.  In my mind there is no competition between the two franchises.  There was a time, 5 sequels ago, that Saw was fresh and original, but since then, they have proceeded to make the same movie over and over knowing that they had a cash cow on their hands.  If Paramont is sucessful with PA2, then I can see them attempting to do the same.  Frankly, I don't have much interest in that.  Like all of the Saw sequels, I will see them in time when they make it to DVD, but I will not fork out the dough to see them in the theater.  Besides, you might think that both studios would take note of what happened last Halloween, originality kicked the shit out of same old same old.

I enjoy the Saw films for their serialized pulpy goodness, and I loved Paranormal Activity but saying that, Paranormal Activity is not a film to set the base for a franchise.

I don't see how Paranormal Activity 2 will be anything but a let down

Saw 7 for sure.
Paranormal Activity was good but WAY over-hyped.
PA 2 sounds like crap and in fact I find it cocky for them to realease it on that date because they want to "win" again and they know they are up against a big horror franchise. So screw you PA 2.

I just read that the lawyers for Lionsgate were forcing Greutert into the director's chair for Saw VII, and that Greutert's blog, where he posted about the injustice just the other day, has been wiped clean of all entries.  So one would have to wonder what kind of movie they are going to end up with.  The previous sequels were convoluted enough, now imagine the end result with a pissed off director at the helm.  I say screw you Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures.

how can they continue PA???? im guessing it will just be a new movie with new characters with the same (or similar) storyline. Im getting tired of Saw, but I'd still pick it

Neither, I'll go watch both but they will end up with mainstream fans attending and not real horror films, and everyone like OMG scary! and PA was shit.

its like the french vs the french - they both suck ballz

ZOMBlE wrote:

its like the french vs the french - they both suck ballz

lol...i think i have to agree with you and Suspiria on this one.

I don't give a shit about Saw anymore (i will watch it but they have turned into seagull shit... watch your heds) and I sure as fuck not at all interested in this Paranormal Activity 2 movie.

When is scream 4 going to come out?
is that octorber too?