Topic: Criterion OOP sale

from criterion.com:

Out of Print Sale
Dear Criterion collectors,

Our three least favorite initials: OOP. Since we launched the Criterion Collection more than twenty-five years ago, we’ve endeavored to keep everything we’ve published in print. But despite our efforts to renew rights, we are losing a large group of titles from StudioCanal at the end of March, and we wanted to give you advance notice that our editions will be going out of print. Until we’re out of stock, we will be offering these titles at an additional $5 off on our website. The titles are going to Lionsgate, and we don’t know when they may be rereleased. As ever, we will continue to try to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Here are the titles that will soon be out of print:

Alphaville
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Country Priest
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Gervaise (Essential Art House edition)
Grand Illusion (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Le jour se lève (Essential Art House edition)
Last Holiday (Essential Art House edition)
Mayerling (Essential Art House edition)
The Orphic Trilogy
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Trafic
Le trou
Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition)
The White Sheik

Take note: this may be your last chance to pick up spine number 1 from the collection.

Happy viewing!
The Criterion Collection

Re: Criterion OOP sale

Sometimes I have the feeling that the various DVD retailers (add Anchor Bay here) let things go OOP for a reason.  Kind of like Disney putting movies into 'the vault' for 10 years.

but what would they have to gain from it?  re-releasing it in 10 years at the same price?  I dunno, i think the only people winning here are the guys that jump right on this stuff and re-sell it all on ebay 6 months from now for 4 times the price.  that's what happened with Spinal Tap anyway.  you can get it now for a cool 60 bucks on ebay but I saw it going for 120 at one point and that wasn't "buy it now".

Putting a movie on moratorium aka OOP boosts the value of the movie.  People are victims of being drawn in by words like COLLECTOR'S EDITION, etc.... it's all a scam but at least they are still available.

And if the employees of the distribution company just happened to lose a few dozen of the OOPs into their closets, well, we got to sell them on Ebay, right?  hmm

Seriously, making a small run before going OOP means when the 'next' edition comes out in 5 years, the people who didn't get it the first time will climb all over themselves to get it.  Plus, add 1 more extra, and the original buyers will buy a new 'version'.  Then there are the people that are just growing into the genre, who have heard great things about Movie X, and gee whiz a new edition is coming out that I can get now!

Plus releasing it down the line lets them bump up the price, even disregarding a formart shift (Blu-rays are still generally more expensive than DVDs).  You have to remember that a company always wants to keep a constant demand flow.  For mainstream movies that flow is always there.  For our genre, it is a smaller market.  Therefore, supply has to be constrained at a certain point to allow for future demand.  Flooding the market with a somewhat sought after but rare film will diminish its future demand.  Why do you think they make limited & numbered editions of certain releases (like my AoD numbered copy)?  I bought it when it was still available for about $35-$40 I think, then a few years after it went OOP, eBay prices where up in the $150s.  Then a new version came out (or maybe it was one of the EDs), and they sold a bunch more.

Always have to remember they are a business first, even if they are genre fans.