Topic: High School Students Being Sued By Math Teacher Over Movie

By RICK CALLAHAN Associated Press Writer
INDIANAPOLIS May 31, 2007 (AP)

"A math teacher whose name is used in a student film featuring an evil teddy bear that orders other stuffed animals to kill a teacher is suing the four children who made it, alleging it defamed him. "

More on the link.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wirestory?id=3234873

I think the students should be commended on venting their frustrations in a creative and non-violent way.  What say you?

Last edited by skidog (2007-06-01 13:04:28)

Re: High School Students Being Sued By Math Teacher Over Movie

considering the outcome is the death of the teacher and his wife i think they deserve a suspension.

For what they did, is just wrong. It reminds of from that movie called 'Bang! Bang! Your Dead!' Which is based on a true story and the main character did a film project and used the jocks as the main stars and had the main character 'snuff' off all the jocks. So with this, I'm surprised that they didn't get more than a suspension. They got off light to what they actually deserve.

I have a totally different approach to this.. These kids just made a movie.. So now everytime a filmmaker makes a movie he should get sued by people who feel defamed? Whenever a new slasher movie comes out people are going to suspect the director is deranged?

Come on people what happened to the first ammendment here? This is a very slippery slope if the teacher wins.. They already were awarded $69,000 for being wronged by being exspelled.. I think they will win this one as well.

well see if i made a movie about a pedophile who molests young children, used your first and last name, and your wifes, and then aired it around the place of your employment like these kids did, would that be ok?

where do we draw the line. I can tell you if some kid made a movie about me like that he would be getting an ass kicking.

Man if some kid did that to me, he would get more of a ass kicking from me. That's for damn sure. I would open up a full can of whoop ass on him.

Yes, they messed up by using the guys name, but come on they didn't threaten him or walk into the school with some guns.  People work out their frustration in different ways.  Some people paint, some people work out, some people make killer teddybear movies.  They should have been sat down and told that what they did was okay except they should go back and re-edit the name choice and why.

had they not used his full name and his wifes i would see it as no big deal... but the fact they used his and his wifes name is totally ignorant.

Yea it may be ignorant but it just sounds like he is suing the kids because he is pissed.. I mean honestly how many people have even seen this Teddy Bear movie? How is that going to "defame" his "good name"?

I'm thinking in terms of the overall legal system we have here.. One case can do ALOT of damage because then every lawyer will go back to this case and cite it. Are the kids dumb for using the name? Yes.. Should they be sued? No..

i agree they should not be sued. they should be punished though. A law suit is just idiotic, as idiotic as what the kids did.

In this age of school shootings couldn't his have been turned into a possitive instead of making a negative statement here by first supending and expelling the students (which didn't work) and now sueing them, couldn't this have been turned into a possitive.  Before all the hoopla they could have been sat down and shown the error they made, and corrected it and then shown that film is a creative outlet.  But nooooo because it "depicts violent actions" it is further demonized and discuraged and the boys hounded. 

This attitude is continuing to happen in our HSs where "bad" thoughts are squashed by getting rid of the offeneding child instead of trying to understand what the thought process was and redirecting it in a more productive way.  It just reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Wall Part II.  Many people in the school systems just want little automaton droids that conform to thier expectations...

I wonder how many horror writers and directors were picked on as children in school and after they figured out how to ply there craft worked that emotion into their work?  Man, maybe I need to get my son a digital video camera...

Yea I believe maybe a short Suspension of say 3 or 5 days would have been fine.. These kids were expelled.. Thats overkill.. I totally agree with what your saying skidog.. Just punishing the kids is not going to work, you really have to get to the root of the problem and address it..

You know this whole situation could be alot worse they could of expressed there feelings for this teacher in a different level but they didn't..Yeah they should of been suspended which is a normal thing but where was the supervision? why wasn't there a parent or teacher reviewing? this was a project right or did they just make it for fun..you have to look further into it don' t just blame the kids for it...its sad that the teacher is gonna sue them thats just pettiness right there..

ok if one hate teachers and MAth teachers i hate sooo much there is nothin wrogn wit wat they did the way i look at it. They made a movie sooo wat the movie Death of a president did u see Bush pressing charges againist that movie No and thats the president this is a movie bout a teacher with the same name who cares let these kids off with a warning. i sure they know they did wrong they probably will do ti again cuz they want to b filmmakers. Movies are fictional who cares whats in what movie AMerica has to grow up and stop blamign movies for its problems. I find nothing wrong here some may disagree with me

Goon wrote:

I have a totally different approach to this.. These kids just made a movie.. So now everytime a filmmaker makes a movie he should get sued by people who feel defamed? Whenever a new slasher movie comes out people are going to suspect the director is deranged?

Come on people what happened to the first ammendment here? This is a very slippery slope if the teacher wins.. They already were awarded $69,000 for being wronged by being exspelled.. I think they will win this one as well.

I fully agree on the First Admendment.  Plus and earlier story about the first round of trials says that the film had the kids FIGHT back against the bears.  So....if they wanted him dead why would they have that?  Though I will say maybe some kinda punishment would be needed.  But expleded is overkill.  A few days suspension (like Goon said) and maybe talking to the kids why they shouldn't of used the teacher's name would have been better.

I think the teacher is sueing to try and hit back at the kids cause he is pissed.