Topic: Who is your favourite female horror director?

This is in honour of my dear MistressOf Horror, who inspired me to do this lil thread wink Love ya hun!

I'm wondering whose is everyone's favourite female director? And why that particular person?

Two of my favourites are Katherine Bigelow of Near Dark fame and Mary Lambert of Pet Sematary fame. I do wish though Bigelow especially had gone on to make more movies since she obviously had some real talent about her.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8427/76004744.jpg- K. Bigelow.

Mention has to go to Mary Harron's American Psycho which was a fantastic little film and probably one of Bale's better performances.

Aside from the main topic, which female would you like to direct a new horror movie? And what type of horror film?

Now you guys who do you like in the female director chair? Have fun! big_smile

xoxo

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-02-19 21:03:21)

Re: Who is your favourite female horror director?

Aside from them I haven't really heard of too many female directors but I really like pet semetary and Near Dark.
One that really stuck with me was that Jenifer Lynch,I came to notice her from the film Surveillance, that of which I loved . . After the second time i watched it I couldn't figure how I'd missed all the clues.
great movie can't wait to see what she does next.

My favorite is Mary Lambert! Pet Semetary was fantastic and is one of my favorite horror films. Pet Semetary 2 wasn't near as good as the first film, but it definitley wasn't bad.

Thanks for the responses so far Creature and DRESS smile, I do agree that the market is seriously saturated of female directors, would be nice to see a breakout director of the female sex. But I'm sure there's more female directors out there, deady-horsie might surprise us big_smile

I guess Mary Harron is the only one I can think of. If you consider "American Psycho" horror. I know a female directed one of the Nightmare on Elm street films. Part 5 I believe. But it wasn't a good film so I can't say I like her.

Mary Lambert for sure. And I don't know her name, but I'm pretty sure a woman directed Slumber Party Massacre. She did a damn good job with SPM.

Mary Lambert, certainly!

Mary Harron. Soon as I saw this thread I knew my answer would be her. That movie rocks!

I love that she had the balls to make it and not listen to all the protesting.

Last edited by Baby_Firefly (2010-02-20 00:37:15)

aaaaw thanks BTK   Mistress blows a kiss~~  great topic for a thread !!!

Like you, I also am a fan of Kathryn Bigelow (Near Dark) and Mary Lambert. (Pet Sematary 1 & 2)
I also liked then work of Mary Harron's American Psycho and Antonia Bird's Ravenous
I'd like to see them do more Horror

and remember,,,,,

"It is women who love horror. Gloat over it. Feed on it. Are nourished by it. Shudder and cling and cry out-and come back for more."
--Bela Lugosi

MistressOf Horror wrote:

"It is women who love horror. Gloat over it. Feed on it. Are nourished by it. Shudder and cling and cry out-and come back for more."
--Bela Lugosi

If that were true I'd get laid more often. lol

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Mary Lambert for sure. And I don't know her name, but I'm pretty sure a woman directed Slumber Party Massacre. She did a damn good job with SPM.

Amy Holden Jones directed SPM.
Deborah Brock directed the second movie.
Sally Mattison directed the third.

i DID NOT KNOW FEMALE HORROR DIRECTORS EXISTED

MistressOf Horror wrote:

aaaaw thanks BTK   Mistress blows a kiss~~  great topic for a thread !!!

Like you, I also am a fan of Kathryn Bigelow (Near Dark) and Mary Lambert. (Pet Sematary 1 & 2)
I also liked then work of Mary Harron's American Psycho and Antonia Bird's Ravenous
I'd like to see them do more Horror

and remember,,,,,

--Bela Lugosi

You're welcome hun wink and I've heard about Ravenous, really need to see that. 
Great choices too! big_smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-02-20 10:57:37)

Ravenous and Near  dark were the best films imo, so I guess Bigelow and Bird.

i would definitely agree with Kathryn Bigelow

*BUMP*

Great thread here! Although there's not many female horror directors, they do exist and have created some fantastic movies. Obviously, as mentioned American Psycho is a must see! Such a brilliant film and Bale's best role.

Has anyone heard about American Mary? It's a new body horror  film directed by a pair of sisters and staring the woman from Ginger Snaps. From what I've read and the trailer, it sounds like a rather disturbing but fresh horror film. I can't wait to see it!

http://youtu.be/LXqHADm_cZQ

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u637/theiluvdvds/2012_American-Mary_theatrical_quad_W_zps6108c760.jpg

Oh, and Mary Shelley - surely the author of Frankenstein counts too!

Mary Shelly, American Mary and Mary Harron? I see a trend here!

Godzilla_Rules wrote:

i DID NOT KNOW FEMALE HORROR DIRECTORS EXISTED

Then you need a kick in the balls.

Jaime D Jenkins !  xxx

Say wuut? There're women making horror movies these days!?? Whatever next? Women drivers? Women voters? When will this madness ever end? lol

Now, I'm a rather forward thinking type of bloke who's all for interesting social experiments but I draw the line at letting smelly girlz direct horror films. Ew, yucky!!!

I must admit to being rather ill-informed about this subject but I always loved the fact that Slumber Party Massacre was helmed by a bitch, oops, I mean a ho, oops, I mean a woman because that film really riled up the censors who accused it of being misogynistic, see, the wimminz can make misogynist slashers too. big_smile

Last edited by Fulcento (2013-01-02 16:24:06)

I really hadn't thought about it, weird. Only know Near Dark as an example.

Near Dark and American Mary fantastic - Katherine Bigelow and The Soska Sister's are the WOMANS!

Bloody Mary Lambert and the Soska girls are amazing.

Oh and no, NOT the girl that did Twilight even if her Tony Hawk and Bones Brigade movie was great. lol

Oh, BTW, congrats on your new spot on the main site Vasquez. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-01-04 11:12:55)

I don't have one.  That's not a sexist thing; it's because there aren't enough female directors out there who can actually be called horror directors.  Directing one horror film -- like Kathryn Bigelow, Mary Harron, Holly Dale, et al -- doesn't make them horror directors.  In their bodies of work horror is far, far from a regular occurrence, hence I don't be consider any of them to be horror directors any more than I would Stanley Kubrick or Johnathon Demme, who also made only one horror film in their careers. 

As for Mary Lambert, while she actually does have plenty of experience in the genre, I haven't really enjoyed any of her horror flicks so logically I can't call her a favorite, either. hmm

kXnPunk wrote:

Bloody Mary Lambert and the Soska girls are amazing.

Oh and no, NOT the girl that did Twilight even if her Tony Hawk and Bones Brigade movie was great. lol

Oh, BTW, congrats on your new spot on the main site Vasquez. smile

Thx kXnPunk. I will be sure to come up some new editorials soon.