Topic: Why are labels like MGM releasing DVD's with cut scenes?

Isn't that totally against the spirit of the DVD? Most collectors have spent the last ten years or so feverishly searching for uncut releases of their favorite films, cult and otherwise. The idea of laser disks and then the dvd was to get back what censors cut out in the theater.

Now these major labels are cutting out scenes instead. A good example would be Swamp Thing, which MGM originally released with scenes often cut in various markets. Perhaps the main reason we remember the film at all was because of Adrienne Barbeau nekkid. Then MGM stopped printing and now puts out a heavily cut version.
It's not just genre films either, the disks of Little Big Man and Ragtime are cut from what I saw in the theater or on vhs.
All I know is I feel betrayed and pissed off.

Re: Why are labels like MGM releasing DVD's with cut scenes?

I don't know how it works over there Fred but in the UK the BBFC can tell a company to cut a film to achieve a certain rating. Unfortunately it all depends on who is making the decision at the time and the guidelines are open to interpretation.
Maybe someone has moved the goalposts?
Or maybe MGM are just being arseholes hmm

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

even Humanoids From The Deep suffers from this retardation LOL

I whole heartedly agree - join the angry mob today!  mad

unfortunately these changes in what prints of a film are available are still subject to snips for a variety of reasons on behalf of the directors, the actors, directors or producers if they deem their content still objectionable (or maybe embarrassing) by today's "standards".  Pretty amazing considering how submissive the climate really is as a whole.

I was once going to compile a list of what horror films still haven't seen the digital light of day in uncut form, but never got around to putting much thought into it.
If anybody's up to task you have my blessing LOL

^^NO! If you cut out the fishmonster sex scenes, would do you have left? Ann Turkel in clothes? No way.

I hate when they cut all the gore out of films as well. Like in the orignal My Bloody Valintine, they cut out over ten minutes of gore! yikes

In the US, if you release a 'unrated' version, you can do whatever you want.  Now, the distributor may not agree and slice & dice.  Also, if you get a used copy from Blockbuster, they are almost always cut & diced.  And, some versions are released as 'rental only', which cuts out every extra, so people will have to buy the 'superior' DVD/Blu-ray.

Money grab is all it is.

Well at least MGM released The Burning uncut. Even though it says rated R on back.

But I agree, I hate it when they cut scenes out. There pretty much telling us what we can watch and what we can't.

Yup, it's liking watching a movie on TV, then getting the DVD and seeing more scenes, then you get the unrated/directors/whatever cut and see even more.  This charade tires me.

I hate it when films get edited for the home video market, takes out the whole purpose of getting it in the first place. Some moral crusader has no business dictating what I can and can't see at home. If anyone is interested, this website has been pretty helpful for me. It usually has pretty good information on the best version of a movie to get (i.e. any cuts, special features, video quality, audio quality, etc...)

http://www.dvdcompare.net/

Hack- Blockbuster is the best known for doing this, even their so-called "unrated" versions are cut.  The worst part is they don't tell you.  At all, anywhere.

And on top of all this, studios are now releasing "rental cuts" which have all the extras taken out.  This is to prevent the resale of used rentals and supposedly make people buy the full disc from the studio. 

I'm waiting until they try and pull another Divx idea out of their asses.

I don't condone pirating, and I don't (OK, except for Within the Woods, but you try and find a legit copy anywhere), but I'm no where near sympathetic towards the studios as they keep pushing out these stupid ideas.  Like with the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still where only the BR version had some 'special' extras (and trust me, they weren't worth it).

Yeah, Blockbuster sucks pretty hard. The only one in town out here closed down over the summer and I say good riddance.

I don't care much for the "rental cut" idea either, the extra features are part of how people decide if they want to buy the movie or not, especially in the case of there being previous versions.

I'm not very sympathetic to the studios either. The way I see it, the studios played a big part in creating the problems that led to the pirating. If they focused a bit more on putting out quality releases instead of making business sense of the fiscal year, maybe they wouldn't lose so much money to piracy.

Yup, they're still tied into the old methods of distribution.  Here's a bonus, if you break a DVD, you can't get a replacement because it's your property; Yeeettt, you can't copy it because it's the studios property.  Hmmm.  Technically, you can copy it, but you cannot circumvent the digital copy protection (the DCMA).  Why to bugger the customer from both ends at the same time!

Exactly, they are having they're cake and eating it too at someone else's birthday party!

Emm, cake

http://www.about-recipes.com/imgrec/302714-Monkey-Cake.jpg