Re: Richard Laymon Thread

Nice to have another fan Hack smile. I would love everyone to give the man a try he is probably my favourite. OTT? Yes. Brutal & Upfront? Oh hell yes! but dammit you cannot fault his passion. Just reading his stuff I can so much of his heart that he put into it big_smile

Dark Mountain - damn witches curse, I finished reading the book and was like, ok seatbelt on...look both ways when crossing the street...helicoper overhead aw shit!!!

COMPLAINT WARNING>>>>COMPLAINT WARNING>>>>

Kinda. More like a concern. I"m reading my first Laymon book (thanks BTK) titled The Woods Are Dark... and I'm finding the dialogue rather unbelievable.

Apart from that, it's a cool, brisk read -- he is dirty: fingers in twats and mouths on nipples -- but the dialogue..? Not buying it at the moment. Keeps taking me 'out' of the story.

Anyone else read this title?

^^ Read the book and loved it. I do however think Laymon is an acquired taste. I love the attitude of his novels, the dialogue? Truth be told when I first read a novel of his, it did take me aback slightly I think it's either an hate or love thing. It's not the most free flowing consistently but I am at a point where I have fallen in love with every aspect of his novels.

But like I said OBS, acquired taste and since The Woods Are Dark was one of the earlier books it would pay to read a more recent one because as time as gone on, he has mellowed when it comes to the dialogue in how he goes about it.

Don't give up yet wink

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2009-11-17 13:19:42)

I ordered his something-something OCTOBER... Lonely Night of October?

It's a fat one at 400 some-odd pages. So, I haven't given up yet...

Last week I pick up a battered copy of "The Cellar" at a used book store for $1.  I only bought it because I recognized the name from some other posts from BTK. 
Well, I am impressed.  This novel is a little dated, but it was a hot, crazy, weird and riveting read.  I am really looking forward to getting my hands on more of his work, what might you suggest in particular?
Look forward to your recommendations BTK!!

The Stake, Woods are Dark, there's also a short compilation of novels called Out are the Lights, Funland, All Hallow's Eve, No Sanctuary is a particular favourite too. But any of those titles I'd also seek out and really glad you liked the novel LadyZ and are getting into him!

More fans *cackles* but nice to have another soul who is enjoying his novels. Really deserves more accolade smile

Wow, that was fast!!:D

Thank you so much, I'm going shopping tomorrow!!!

I never heard of the guy

LadyZ wrote:

Wow, that was fast!!:D

Thank you so much, I'm going shopping tomorrow!!!

LOL you are welcome hun wink I really hope you embrace him and enjoy the novels. I allow kicks if one does not like the stories but I'm hoping you will big_smile

I found Bite today, I'm addicted already, I prefer this one over The Cellar, now I need to do some SERIOUS shopping and pick up a few dozen more!!!

Thanks again, BTK, but is he currently still writing? Just curious...

He passed away in 2001, I remember being saddened beyond anything, losing someone of such wonderful talent broke me and from what I have read any new books he managed to complete before he passed have since been published through his wife. Hope that helps hun smile

Wasn’t familiar with him will check em out now

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

He passed away in 2001, I remember being saddened beyond anything, losing someone of such wonderful talent broke me and from what I have read any new books he managed to complete before he passed have since been published through his wife. Hope that helps hun smile

wow, that's really too bad.....:(:(:(

It is. Above some many writers he was the one who inspired my love for blood and guts and really helped me incorporate that into any story I wrote. Always was a macabre inspiration to me but agree it is a shame what happened. For me there will def. be a gap in the writing world, just doesn't feel quite the same without him...

I'm still staring at your avatar's ass, BTK.  You say somthing?  lol

lol Not much but even if I was would you notice? tonguelol

I'll get back to you.....  lol

Laymon was awsome, I like his style of writing.
They reminded me of an 80s horror movie that never got made, I especialy liked Ressurection Dreams the first book of his I read or found rather.

Nice to have another fan Dress wink and I agree, his writing is refreshingly upfront, not subtle just what you see, you get. I've read a lot of his books but my aim is to get every book ever done, quite the feat but I want my room to be Laymon entirely big_smile and I think there are so many Laymon books that could be made into great films, if someone would take the chance smile

Last edited by BlackTequilaKiss (2010-03-02 21:43:21)

hrmm, that title sounds familiar......  You're just trying to give me a brain cramp, aren't you.  lol

BlackTequilaKiss wrote:

Nice to have another fan Dress wink and I agree, his writing is refreshingly upfront, not subtle just what you see, you get. I've read a lot of his books but my aim is to get every book ever done, quite the feat but I want my room to be Laymon entirely big_smile and I think there are so many Laymon books that could be made into great films, if someone would take the chance smile

A Richard Laymon film thats an awsome idea, so long as they could stay true to the source material . . .sadly they usually do not.
That Laymon collection would be killer, I tried to track down a few of his books on ebay a while back, but I couldn't get anyone to ship the books to canada.
There should be some sort of collections for the fans, box sets or something.

Dang, this book I'm reading right now is gooood. FLESH cool

By Laymon?

^^ wink Yep and still surprised this thread is doing well. There's more Laymon fans than I assumed which is a great. great! thing. big_smile